What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Looking at my shelf, volume 10 is actually the last part of Deadpool Classic; volume 11 is Head Trip. So definitely get 10.

After that, I suggest either Cable & Deadpool or the most recent Marvel Now series. :)

gunswordfist

I've read most/half of Cable/Deadpool twice. It was the series that made me a fan.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wish that Marvel/DC comics were less expensive and were also more often organized into coherent volumes that made it easier to follow stories chronologically. That's really the only thing preventing me from getting into more stuff.

But especially the price of some of these comics can be utterly ridiculous, unless you know just how to shop for them online, I suppose. The picture at the very bottom of this list explains it pretty well:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/74658/comic-book-store

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 30, 2015, 03:48:46 PM
It seems very self-aware. Not to mention that they are practically screaming out loud that Deadpool will be back at any moment.

EDIT: Hey buddy, Classic V. 10 is Headtrip or whatever, which I already read so which DP book should I get my from library after V. 9?
lmao, I actually have Deadpool Classic Vol. 10...

Avaitor

If you have a device that can handle it, and can afford the $10 a month, Marvel Unlimited really is a good offer. It's not complete, but you get access to a lot of great comics on there, a good deal of the important ones.

I think that most things Deadpool are on there, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Since my internet's been out, I've read a few comics in the last few days:

-I completed Deadpool Volume 9. I wouldn't mind seeing Alex and Taskmaster show up in a Deadpool movie sequel. This afternoon I read up to halfway of Volume 10. Seeing Daniel Way's name helped me stop reading. And by stop I mean complete halt.

-Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 9: Yep, this has really not been as interesting since the Viltrumite War concluded. It's basically been a bunch of infighting. I want something new, dammit. The good news is I think Omni-Man is my favorite character in the series, surpassing Cecil, now so he just keeps on shining and not just for the obvious change in this book. Plus, the ending was worthy of the "Holy fuck" statement.

-The Walking Dead Volume 20 and 21. These books consist of the entire All Out War (Part One and Part Two), the first major arc since The Governor. This war was getting interesting...then it kind of fizzled out. It was kind of a combination of going on a bit too long and ending kind of abruptly, if that even makes sense. Basically, I think it would have been more exciting if the final battle took place in a previous battle..because the previous battle was much more exciting...Bleh, entertainment wise aside, there was some good character development, outside of someone getting into a forced leadership role out of nowhere. I have no clue where the series will go now. Dear God, I found Kirkman doesn't go with infighting...like he did in Invincible. That would ruin Walking Dead for me. Give me something big like the group running into the government and then getting told how the zombie outbreak happened. Uh, lastly, All Out War did not surpass The Governor for the title of my favorite zombie story ever (even though Negan is a trillion times better at being a villain than said character). I guess I'd put this around Dawn Of The Dead Remake and Shaun Of The Dead. Not on the level of Dawn Of The Dead original. At least based on the original. One more thing...I wonder if the shitty tv show has reached the group getting to Alexandria.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on September 04, 2015, 04:31:12 AM
Seeing Daniel Way's name helped me stopped reading. And by stop I mean complete halt.
:lol: Don't worry, he only wrote one issue in volume 10!

gunswordfist

Thank you. :sweat: I was also burned out from how long that final Fight-Man battle was and distracted by getting my internet back so that didn't help.

Avaitor

Okay, so I've mentioned my local comic book shop here before. One thing they like to do is to help support other local businesses, be it by offering unique donuts made by a bakery, or offering gift cards to clothes shops for various events.

One thing they've recently been doing is holding trivia challenges at one of our restaurants each Sunday night. They're all themed to different geeky things, like Marvel, DC, Harry Potter, Walking Dead... this week was dedicated to Buffy and Whedon material, so I came over. And I tied for first! I even got some of the AOS questions right, since they only really asked stuff about the first season, and mostly about Mike/Deadlok, who didn't annoy me as much as the main cast. But yeah, don't test me on Buffy. :P

My prize was 4 $10 gift cards, and vouchers for a free meal and drink at the restaurant. I'll save those vouchers for later, probably whenever I'm back in town, but I did use those gift cards when I'm there.

My inventory!

This is when the Hawkeye comics start to make a pretty unique change. From what I can tell, they alternate between stories with Clint and Kate, and this paperback collects the first of Kate's solo material. It's pretty cool stuff, and it allows her to shine on her own without needing to rely on Clint to remain interesting. She's a fun character and has a lot of shades to her, and it helps that she's complimented by a solid mystery story with a varied cast of characters. Including a Columbo tribute, of all things. I can't wait to see what happens next, but I am curious about Clint's story, since he was not in a good place when Kate left him in the beginning of this trade.

Oh, and the Barney Pop was a good buy, since it's apparently out of print, along with the rest of the first HB series, aside from Huckleberry Hound. I would have gotten Fred too, if I could find him, but I do prefer Barney, anyway. I wish I could go back for the next couple of challenges, since they're just as perfect for me- Disney and 90's/00's cartoons. But I don't think I could make those work.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

AOS shouldn't even be considered to be a Joss Whedon show.

Nice that you got all of that cool stuff, though.

As for me, I'm on Knight's End and will have to find a new DC comic to read after I finish it (I think I'll just stick to core DC characters for now). I really want to read The New Frontier, but all I can find is an expensive hard-cover version that retails for $50, which is ridiculous. Even the E-versions is too expensive at $40 to download.

I'm also about half-way through the Namek arc on my re-read of Dragon Ball. I really wish more people would read the damn manga. It's amazing how much better this arc is when you see it the way that Toriyama actually presented it.

And I'm playing catch-up with AOT right now since I initially took a break from it over a year ago on the grounds of it being really dull at the time of that story-arc.

gunswordfist

Awesome that you won and awesome that you're around a comic book shop that supports other local businesses. That just seems really cool.

I've been wanting to get into Hawkeye. I believe I said I wanted to read his (and Taskmaster's) series awhile ago. I might get around to it.

Avaitor

Oh, speaking of Hawkeye, my roommate now has a copy of the first paperback, as well as the first for Jane Foster's take on Thor. When I get the time, I'll take this chance to finally dig into the latter.

New blog!

gunswordfist

I can't say I'm interested in that Thor.

gunswordfist

I just finished Deadpool Classic Volume 10. Alex Hayden has really grown on me