Rockstar Games

Started by ToonFaithful, August 18, 2011, 07:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToonFaithful

.....from the Xbox Magazine early July: "Time's up, says The Ball. Expect Grand Theft Auto V to be announced later this summer."  :swoon:

Genesis.

Talk about your past with Rockstar's awesome games. My favorite game from them was Bully. Loved the environment, riding on bicycles reminded me of San Andreas, becoming the #1 prankster at Bullworth Academy. The sumo game rocked.

Kiddington

Before L.A. Noire, before Bully, and before GTA was "big"... they made Earthworm Jim 3D.

Fancy that.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on August 19, 2011, 12:59:12 AM
Body Harvest.
Right you are. That one completely slipped my mind (haven't played it in ages though, so... yeah).

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on August 19, 2011, 12:49:49 AM
Before L.A. Noire, before Bully, and before GTA was "big"... they made Earthworm Jim 3D.
I'm pretty sure they just worked on the US N64 version a bit. It was still VIS' game for the most part.

Speaking of that game, fuck that game. Fuck it in the ass. Back when I was but a wee lad, I had not yet started PC gaming and owned no game consoles aside from a Game Boy Color, for which I only had 3 games, one of them being Bugs Bunny: Carrot Crazy, which fucking sucked. This story isn't about that, though.

My friend (who I have not seen since he kicked my ass into the 21st century in Tekken 3) had a bunch of computer games; basically the entire MKing (anyone else remember MKing?) library. He also had Earthworm Jim 3D. For the PC. I was so excited when he let me borrow his copy. Remember how shitty the controls were on the N64? Imagine using a keyboard to play it. Imagine it being your first ever computer game aside from the Doom and Duke Nukem 3D sharewares. Imagine it being the first truly 3D game you ever played.

I still remember the pain Psycrow caused me. For five days and four nights I pork-boarded in an attempt to get those goddamn marbles, fumbling with the arrow keys as a kitten would with a yarn ball. When I finally beat that boss battle, I probably stared at the screen in utter shock for five minutes with my mouth agape. I had done it! I had beaten Psycrow!

World 2. Fatty Roswell. Fuck this gay earth. When Fatty Roswell ass rapes you, he doesn't use any lube. That fucking level single-handedly created my bondage kick. After approximately 120 hours of sodom, I had finally done it... but then I had to return the game. I was fine with that. I don't know what happens in World 3 and beyond, and I don't want to.

My childhood was mutilated by that piece of shit. Fuck you, Earthworm Jim 3D. Fuck you.

ToonFaithful

Thought this was pretty cool on Rockstar North's part: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=269166&st=0

Before Grand Theft Auto IV's release.

Daxdiv

Bully and Red Dead Redemption hold the honor for being both Rockstar games I have beaten. While Bully holds the distinction of being the only Rockstar game I've 100%, twice. Once on the PS2 and again on the Xbox 360.

For some reason, I find myself more attracted to playing Rockstar games that aren't GTA, yet are their clones like Bully and RDR. I don't know why, but I like them more story wise, which compelled me to beat the games.

Kiddington

So... favorite GTA title; any takers?

Right now, I'm inclined to give it to Vice City. I'm actually a bit behind on this franchise (haven't played IV yet... yeah yeah, I know), but even when I eventually do, I think Vice City will still end up topping the list for me. Simply put, it's the game in this series I've had the most fun with, and have spent the most time playing; not to mention, the one that I've made the most progress on. And let us not forget the incredibly awesome soundtrack. ELO? INXS? In a GTA title? Hells to the yeah.  :sly:

ToonFaithful

Quote from: Kiddington on August 21, 2011, 04:23:19 AM
So... favorite GTA title; any takers?

Right now, I'm inclined to give it to Vice City. I'm actually a bit behind on this franchise (haven't played IV yet... yeah yeah, I know), but even when I eventually do, I think Vice City will still end up topping the list for me. Simply put, it's the game in this series I've had the most fun with, and have spent the most time playing; not to mention, the one that I've made the most progress on. And let us not forget the incredibly awesome soundtrack. ELO? INXS? In a GTA title? Hells to the yeah.  :sly:
Mine is San Andreas. the gameplay expanded, there was more open land to explore, not to mention that it was very close to a real life Los Angeles. You had an over-crowded downtown and the south central surburbs, I don't even think I should call it the suburbs based on what I've seen in the game. This game made me enjoy Bully even more for riding bicycles. That's how it is in the real world. Not saying that every single thing in San Andreas happens in South Central, but it is a dangerous place and Rockstar tried their very best to adapt it into a video-game. Arguably the best game in the series.

Note: Love the dark and gritty atmosphere in Grand Theft Auto IV, but I hope V ties around the same feeling I got from San Andreas, moderate. Also, anyone here played Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC?

Commode

I'd say GTA 3 and Vice City, because those are the only two that I had any initiative to finish.  I got bored with the franchise half way through San Andreas, and haven't played any of the games since.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Unpopular opinion, but honestly? 4. Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 2 (and hopefully SR The Third) have already far surpassed the old GTA games in terms of dumb fun, so 4 really captures my attention with its gritty style and witty script.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll go with Vice City. Its the only GTA game I actually had quite a bit of fun with, and being a fan of the movie Scarface I couldn't help but love how that game's entire theme was a tribute to that movie. GTA III was a big step forward for sandbox games and an undeniably important entry in video game history, but I found a lot of its missions to be difficult in the frustrating ways that suck out most of the actual fun of completing them. It was an ambitious game, but IMO it hasn't aged very well.

San Andreas was big and all....but honestly I got bored of it after just 5 or so missions. It just all felt so bland and repetitive really quickly.

I tried GTA IV, and to me its basically the same thing as San Andreas except that it takes place in Liberty City again. Its a bigger game with better graphics and lots of things to do....but overall I just get bored of it pretty quickly. I'm sure its great for people who love sandbox games, but as someone who's not really a fan of the genre, I can't say that I honestly care much for it.

I don't really hate the series or anything, though. Its just not really my cup of tea, except for maybe VC (and even that got boring for me after one play-through).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on August 19, 2011, 12:49:49 AM

Fancy that.
:shit:

My favorite is easily The Warriors. Played the entirety with my oldest little brother, who is a much better gamer than me and I believe we watched the movie for the first time right before we got to the movie's storyline. So much damn fun. Rockstar needs to get the license back and make a sequel.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

ToonFaithful

Mm hmmm, GTA V trailer IS OUT!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

Also, Tommy Vercetti from Vice City is back in San Andreas! That's what I call a win-win....I still want CJ.

The thing I loved about San Andreas was the massively open world environments. There was always new land to explore, here's hoping Rockstar makes something out of it in GTA V. Looks fucking awesome though.