Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 12, 2016, 10:06:46 AMOne crossover (albeit between different companies) that I think would be fun is Yu Yu Hakusho and Ushio and Tora. A decent alternative would be Flame of Recca.
Sort of like the recent Project X-Zone I always thought a sort of RPG approach of crossing over three company's characters would be cool. Like imagining a game in the Tales style engine that crosses over Yu Yu Hakusho, Ushio & Tora, and, like, GetBackers, in one trippy original story that mixes all three properties in an original story would be interesting.

Of course that's far too obscure to ever work, but it would be interesting.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 12, 2016, 09:26:54 AM
Quote from: gunswordfist on January 12, 2016, 01:54:19 AM
I forget which anime crossovers I'd like but I think Hunter X Hunter/Dragonball would be great.
How about one for YYH/HxH? It could look something like this:

YYH
Yusuke Urameshi
Kazuma Kuwabara
Kurama
Hiei
Genkai
Younger Toguro
Elder Toguro
Bui
Karasu
Jin the Wind Master
Shinobu Sensui
Minoru "The Doctor" Kamiya
Kaname "Sniper" Hagiri
Yomi
Mukuro
Raizen

HxH
Gon Freecss
Killua Zoldyck
Kurapika Kurta
Leorio Paradnight
Hisoka
Illumi Zoldyck
Biscuit Krueger
Isaac Netero
Chrollo Lucifer
Machi
Meruem
Neferpitou
Shaiapouf
Menthuthuyoupi
Morel Mackernasey
Knuckle Bine

You could even have Prince Baka as a hidden trap/joke character.  :lol:
Add in Feitan and you'd have the perfect roster. :)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

So, I've never played any of the Rival Schools titles, but I was checking out footage from Project Justice for Dreamcast the other day, and this game looks entirely like my shit. I love the soundtrack, character designs, and animations! I was going to see if I could pick up a copy, but it's $100 for a scratched disc with no box...

Apparently Itsuno still wants to make another one of these even after all this time. He was just talking about it late last year, in fact. I'd be down for that.

Spark Of Spirit

The series never got the attention it deserved from Capcom. I played Rival Schools tons in the arcade and on the PS1 when it came out, but Project Justice was completely buried by them.

As a series it's just a ball of fun. One of the most purely fun fighting game series out there. It would be nice to get a third one, but I'm not holding my breath. The series was never even as popular as Darkstalkers and Capcom has made it clear they're never making another one of those either.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

As someone who barely has any interest in fighting games, I would totally buy ports of Rival Schools and Project Justice for PC/Wii U/PS4/whatever. I can see them doing that someday, at least. I think Capcom's current business strategy is "release as many ports as possible until we make enough money to actually fund new games."

What I really like about Project Justice is how cartoony it is despite being a 3D game. More rudimentary and anime than the recent Street Fighter titles, but the amplified silliness of the animations, vibrant colors, and non-sexual character models give it an old-school vibe that you just don't see in today's video games. I also love how much personality the character designs have. You can learn so much about the characters just by looking at the way they dress - something I rarely see in modern games. And don't even get me started on that soundtrack. My jam.

It also looks simple enough that even I would be able to play it. As much as I enjoy games like Tekken and Guilty Gear, I always get stomped when I try to play them. I am incapable of learning complex combos. :el_cry:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Don't worry, we'll get a new Rival Schools game as soon as Capcom is done releasing Power Stone 3 along with a new Mega Man Zero game....

Quote from: Foggle on January 26, 2016, 01:37:59 PMWhat I really like about Project Justice is how cartoony it is despite being a 3D game. More rudimentary and anime than the recent Street Fighter titles, but the amplified silliness of the animations, vibrant colors

I can't speak for the series as a whole, but SF4 and it's re-releases (which is the only SF game released in the past decade, until next month, so there aren't really any recent SF games unless you count SF X Tekken) has pretty purposefully cartoony character designs, and a lot of the ultra combo animations are just pure nuts with how the characters react. It's a lot less traditional anime-style in its art design than, say, your KOF or Blazblue.

The same can be said about character personalities which are so intertwined with their fight styles and personal taunts, as well as their entrance animations.

Personally I find the art-style a lot more appealing than most typical fighting games.

Third Strike and the Alpha series are much more traditional anime-style, however.

Foggle

Oh, I wasn't meaning to disparage SF4, SFxT, or SF5 at all! I love the art and animations in those games too. But there's something about the simplicity of Project Justice that I prefer. Things like the tennis combo attack remind me of classic theatrical cartoons while still looking like late 90's anime. It's the same weird blend from Kill la Kill that I enjoyed so much. :)

It would be so cool if they made a new Power Stone as well. They could farm it out to Platinum, even; a few tweaks and Anarchy Reigns' multiplayer would be the perfect template IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I miss the art-style from DC-era Capcom games like Rival Schools and Project Justice. Unfortunately they seem to play it a bit more safe these days since they probably feel that the more zany stuff would turn away modern gamers. It's a shame, really.

Speaking of Platinum, if they were ever to tackle the fighting game genre, I'd want them to do JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in the style of Anarchy Reigns. Platinum would be able to design a great combat system that's both simple yet incredibly deep and nuanced, while also being able to fully embrace the insanity of JoJo's particular art-style and animations. It'd be much better than the relatively average JoJo game that we got over a year ago.

gunswordfist

I didn't know Rival Schools was on DC. I thought it just had some titles on PS1 or something.

Spark Of Spirit

The fighting system is probably most similar to a less-hectic and complex MvC system. The art style and music are like 80s shonen and a dash of Street Fighter which enhance the mood tenfold.

Oh, and it's canon with actual Street Fighter and Final Fight so there's nothing stopping any of those characters from crossing over into Street Fighter V. Except Capcom itself, I guess. I mean, it took how long to get Mike Haggar into a fighting game (not counting that Saturn spin off)?

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 26, 2016, 03:09:30 PM
I didn't know Rival Schools was on DC. I thought it just had some titles on PS1 or something.
Rival Schools is Arcade/PS1. Project Justice is Arcade/DC.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I said DC-era mostly since I associate most unique Capcom fighters from the late 90's and early 2000's with that console. However, as you said, Rival Schools is a PS1 game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 26, 2016, 03:11:30 PMOh, and it's canon with actual Street Fighter and Final Fight so there's nothing stopping any of those characters from crossing over into Street Fighter V. Except Capcom itself, I guess. I mean, it took how long to get Mike Haggar into a fighting game (not counting that Saturn spin off)?

The funny thing is that we got both Cody and Guy in SSF4, but no Mike Haggar. I always found that strange.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 26, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
Yeah, I miss the art-style from DC-era Capcom games like Rival Schools and Project Justice. Unfortunately they seem to play it a bit more safe these days since they probably feel that the more zany stuff would turn away modern gamers. It's a shame, really.
While the system's graphics are fairly rudimentary by today's standards, I feel like the Dreamcast specifically was the golden era for video game art styles. Everything on that console is so unique, bright, and colorful. The visuals hold up really well.

QuoteSpeaking of Platinum, if they were ever to tackle the fighting game genre, I'd want them to do JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in the style of Anarchy Reigns. Platinum would be able to design a great combat system that's both simple yet incredibly deep and nuanced, while also being able to fully embrace the insanity of JoJo's particular art-style and animations. It'd be much better than the relatively average JoJo game that we got over a year ago.
That would be so cool - and it honestly could happen. Between Metal Gear, Korra, Transformers, Star Fox, Nier, and now Ninja Turtles, you never know what licensed product P* will come out with next!

The sequel is! But it's not called Rival Schools 2 for some reason. It also seems to be somewhat rare, with a fairly low print run and a bargain basement localization.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 26, 2016, 03:11:30 PM
Oh, and it's canon with actual Street Fighter and Final Fight so there's nothing stopping any of those characters from crossing over into Street Fighter V. Except Capcom itself, I guess. I mean, it took how long to get Mike Haggar into a fighting game (not counting that Saturn spin off)?
Yeah, it's weird how Capcom has so much crossover appeal in their classic franchises that they never do anything with.

Slightly off-topic, but I'd love a 3D Final Fight with God Hand gameplay mechanics...

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on January 26, 2016, 04:02:14 PM
The sequel is! But it's not called Rival Schools 2 for some reason. It also seems to be somewhat rare, with a fairly low print run and a bargain basement localization.
Weird name choice.

Also, Haggar is in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I'm surprised no one mentioned that. I really do wish he was in Street Fighter anything though. So far no Final Fight characters have been announced but there's hope since they have years to do so.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Don't worry, GSF. Even if they don't make the initial roster, we have at least three or four re-releases to look forward to which may add them. It wouldn't be a Capcom product, otherwise. :sly: