Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

The closest they've come to is this from Capcom's arcade days. A full on Street Fighter quality fighter from the top fighting game developer themselves.

This was the roster, for those who are curious:

Spoiler
Jotaro Kujo
Joseph Joestar
Young Joseph
Mohammed Avdol
Noriaki Kakyoin
New Kakyoin
Jean Pierre Polnareff
Iggy
Dio Brando
Shadow Dio
Devo the Cursed / D'Bo
Rubber Soul
Hol Horse and J. Geil
Hol Horse and Boingo
Midler
Chaka and Anubis
Khan and Anubis
Black Polnareff and Anubis
Mariah
Alessi
Pet Shop
Vanilla Ice / Iced
[close]

Imagining a full-on Jump fighter with that much muscle behind it would be great to see. They sure seem to be more up to it these days than they have before.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of Shonen Jump vs. Capcom, I came up with a revised version of my roster for a dream project of a game like this, featuring 24 characters from each company, but this time making it less about my personal preferences and more about being a little more realistic and balanced between heroes, villains, male, and female characters in order to cater to a wider array of gamers and manga fans. Here's what I came up with:

Capcom Roster:

Heroes:
1. Ryu (Street Fighter)
2. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
3. Dante (Devil May Cry)
4. Lady (Devil May Cry) - Just to shake things up from Trish being in UVMC3
5. Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
6. Strider Hiryu (Strider)
7. Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
8. Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)
9. Nathan Spencer (Bionic Commando)
10. Mega Man (Mega Man) - With X as an alternate costume
11. Wang-Tang (Power Stone) - Falcon would probably be the more obvious choice, but Wang-Tang seems to be a fan-favorite
12. Asura (Asura's Wrath)

Villains:
1. Akuma (Street Fighter)
2. M. Bison (Street Fighter)
3. Juri (Street Fighter)
4. Vergil (Devil May Cry)
5. Arkham (Devil May Cry) - In his Jester form, with his normal form as an alternate costume
6. Albert Wesker (Resident Evil)
7. Saddler (Resident Evil)
8. Dr. Wily (Mega Man)
9. Sigma (Mega Man X)
10. Onox (Zelda: Oracle of Seasons) - Would have to be specially licensed from Nintendo, but he IS still technically from a Capcom game
11. Olga (Asura's Wrath)
12. Poison (Final Fight/Street Fighter)

Shonen Jump Roster:

**For this list, I'm specifically only picking from Weekly Shonen Jump, and leaving out any of its extension brands like Monthly Jump Square, since there's already way too many characters to pick from as it is.**

Heroes:
1. Son Goku (Dragonball)
2. Vegeta (Dragonball)
3. Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
4. Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto)
5. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
6. Nami (One Piece) - I'd prefer Zoro, but like I said, I need to include at least some female characters for a proper balance
7. Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)
8. Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
9. Jolyne Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
10. Kenshin Himua (Rurouni Kenshin)
11. Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
12. Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter) - Yet again, not the obvious choice, but a clear fan-favorite

Villains:
1. Freeza (Dragonball)
2. Uchiha Madara (Naruto)
3. Kaguya (Naruto) - I'm REALLY stretching here, but WSJ just doesn't have many prominent female villains, let along any good ones
4. Sir Crocodile (One Piece)
5. Blackbeard (One Piece)
6. Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
7. DIO (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) - With Stardust Crusaders' fighting style, but also with a classic Dio Brando alternate costume
8. Yukishiro Enishi (Rurouni Kenshin) - I love Shishio, but he's already way too overused in fighting games with RK characters in it
9. Raoh (Fist of the North Star)
10. Chrollo Lucifer (Hunter X Hunter)
11. Neferpitou (Hunter X Hunter)
12. Meruem (Hunter X Hunter)

So, while I greatly prefer my original list which is comprised of characters that I actually like all of, I feel that this list does a good job of being more balanced in regard to if this sort of game were to really be made, however it also avoids some obvious choices in favor of more interesting ones, here and there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 12, 2016, 05:46:54 PM
The closest they've come to is this from Capcom's arcade days. A full on Street Fighter quality fighter from the top fighting game developer themselves.

This was the roster, for those who are curious:

Spoiler
Jotaro Kujo
Joseph Joestar
Young Joseph
Mohammed Avdol
Noriaki Kakyoin
New Kakyoin
Jean Pierre Polnareff
Iggy
Dio Brando
Shadow Dio
Devo the Cursed / D'Bo
Rubber Soul
Hol Horse and J. Geil
Hol Horse and Boingo
Midler
Chaka and Anubis
Khan and Anubis
Black Polnareff and Anubis
Mariah
Alessi
Pet Shop
Vanilla Ice / Iced
[close]

Imagining a full-on Jump fighter with that much muscle behind it would be great to see. They sure seem to be more up to it these days than they have before.

Seeing as how we'll never get another Marvel vs. Capcom game, since Disney wants nothing to do with Capcom, and even made them pull the downloadable versions of past MVC games from XBL and PSN, we'll never get another game in the franchise unless Disney ever sells Marvel, which will never happen in our lifetimes. Ironic, considering that Capcom made many of Disney's best games for them. However, being that Disney now has a branch of its own in the game development market, they no longer need to outsource their games to other companies, though at least they are allowing Kingdom Hearts 3 to happen, so they are still clearly willing to work with other companies, on occasion.

At any rate, perhaps they could get the MvC development team to work on a large-scale crossover fighting game with a Japanese manga publication (it doesn't necessarily have to be Shonen Jump), since such a game would still most likely sell well. I mean, games like JoJo's All-Star Battle and J-Stars Victory have sold insane amounts in Japan alone, despite one of those games being hot garbage (hint: it's the second one), so that's pretty telling of how big of a market there are for licensed games featuring Shonen Jump properties. Sure, the Western sales market won't be nearly as high as with MvC games, but the market is still there, and Capcom could make a significant profit if they go about properly marketing such a game.

I still doubt that it would ever happen in a million years, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I think if you throw Naruto, Ryu, Leon Kennedy, and Goku, on the cover you could get a lot of interest, but I would personally prefer Capcom do what they did with their original Marvel games and build games with just those characters first, such as with Children of the Atom or Marvel Super Heroes.

Make it about 18 base characters, and like they did with Tatsunoko, add 8 console exclusive characters (spread over multiple editions, of course) and bank on fans being hooked. Then you make the crossover game reusing a bunch of assets ala MvC2 and rake in the fans with an insane roster variety since you have already complete characters ready to go.

Jump Heroes

Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Yusuke Uremeshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

*Ryotsu Kankichi (Kochikame)
*Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
*Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia)
*Ryuuji Takane (Ring ni Kakero)

Jump Villains

Frieza (Dragon Ball)
Sir Crocodile (One Piece)
Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto) [Eh, close enough]
Younger Toguro (Yu Yu Hakusho)
Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Dakki (Hoshin Engi/Soul Hunter)
Meruem (Hunter X Hunter)
Phoenix Ikki (Saint Seiya)

*Yukishiro Enishi (Rurouni Kenshin)
*Raoh (Fist of the North Star)
*Light Yagami and Ryuk (Death Note)
*Hades (Saint Seiya)

Boss characters

Koro-Sensei (Assassination Classroom)
Neo (Toriko)

* = Console exclusive

You take the base from that game and add a bunch of new characters to the cross-over game to make it bigger than ever. I think that would be pretty cool.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for boss characters, I like how SFXT has two bosses, one from the Street Fighter franchise (Akuma) and one from the Tekken franchise (Ogre). The boss that you get depends on the team that you pick. Street Fighter characters fight the Tekken boss and vice versa.

In a WSJ vs. Capcom game, the Capcom boss could be Mundus from Devil May Cry, and the WSJ boss could be whoever would serve as the equivalent of Galactus or Onslaught from the MvC games (as in, a giant character who takes up at least three-quarters of the screen). For some reason I'm struggling to think of a prominent WSJ villain who fits that description.

Rynnec

I'd rather the WSJ have a suped-up human sized Final Boss to contrast with the giant Capcom boss. Makoto Shishio, Yhwach, DIO, or Hades are good candidates.

Alternatively, they could pull a Capcom vs SNK and have the final boss alternate between a suped up WSJ or Capcom villain.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, seeing as how SFXT does humanoid bosses, then the one for Capcom could be either Oni, Deus, or Nemesis, and the WSJ boss could be either Perfect Cell or Kid Buu.

Though, if we were to go the giant final boss route, Chakravartin from Asura's Wrath would be another potential candidate for the Capcom side.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 12, 2016, 07:29:19 PM

In a WSJ vs. Capcom game, the Capcom boss could be Mundus from Devil May Cry, and the WSJ boss could be whoever would serve as the equivalent of Galactus or Onslaught from the MvC games (as in, a giant character who takes up at least three-quarters of the screen). For some reason I'm struggling to think of a prominent WSJ villain who fits that description.

Neo from Toriko would work. It's desire to devour all life in the universe also makes  it as epic a threat as those characters. Not to mention you could do cool things with it's regenerative abilities, ability to literally consume energy, it's ability to spawn monsters from it's body, change it's size at will,  and the fact it likes to wait until it's prey has exhausted itself and succumbed to fear and desperation before it eats it (which you could translate into the game by having it get even stronger and harder to beat the more health you lose). It's actually a pretty awesome concept for a final boss in a game, the more I think about it.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 12, 2016, 07:14:19 PM
Jump Villains

Ikki? He spends more time in the series as a protagonist. I feel either Saga, Poseidon, or Thanatos would fit better if you were to include another Saint Seiya antagonist besides Hades.

Spark Of Spirit

That's why I included Neo in my boss list.

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on April 12, 2016, 08:25:06 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 12, 2016, 07:14:19 PM
Jump Villains

Ikki? He spends more time in the series as a protagonist. I feel either Saga, Poseidon, or Thanatos would fit better if you were to include another Saint Seiya antagonist besides Hades.
I ran out of obvious choices for other antagonists. I only included him because I couldn't fit Seiya on the hero list to give the series two representatives. Any Seiya villain would be fine, though probably a villain from another series would be better instead to help with variety.

Spark Of Spirit

Here, let me try a big crossover. Jump x Sunday x Weekly Shonen!

Sunday
Kaoru Akashi (Zettai Karen Children)
Hayate Ayasaki (Hayate the Combat Butler)
Yoshimori Sumimura (Kekkaishi)
Kenichi Shirahama (Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple)
Reiko Mikami (Ghost Sweeper Mikami)
Aladdin (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)
Alibaba Saluja (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)
Ryo Takatsuki (Project: ARMs)
InuYasha (InuYasha)
Recca Hanabishi (Flame of Recca)
Ushio Aotsuki (Ushio & Tora)
Tora (Ushio & Tora)
Yaiba Kurogane (Yaiba)
Takizawa Noboru (Hono no Tenkosei)

Weekly Shonen
Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail)
Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail)
Negi Springfield (Negima!)
Ippo Makunouchi (Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo)
Eikichi Onizuka (GTO)
Shinichi Mechazawa (Chromartie High)
Ban Midou (GetBackers)
Ginji Amano (GetBackers)
Meliodas (Seven Deadly Sins)
Kotaro Shindo (Kotaro Makaritoru!)
Akira Fudo (Devilman)
Naoto Date (Tiger Mask)
Joe Shimamura (Cyborg 009)
Joe Yabuki (Ashita no Joe/Tomorrow's Joe)

Jump
Koro-sensei (Assassination Classroom)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
Son Goku (Dragon Ball)
Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
Gintoki Sakata (Gintama)
Killua Zoldyck (Hunter X Hunter)
Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Kankichi Ryotsu (Kochikame)
Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia)
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin)
Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Boss characters:
Hakumen no Mono (Ushio & Tora)
Skull/Black Ghost (Cyborg 009/Skull Man)
Dio Brando (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Announcers:
Conan Edogawa (Cased Closed/Detective Conan)
Ryu Yamada/Urara Shiraishi (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches)
Robert E.O. Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Now, wouldn't that be a crazy project?  :D

45 characters, three of which are bosses, 40 different series representation, and three separate announcers, not mention the crazy amount of stages they'd have to make means this would never happen. But, hey, this is a dream list. Who cares about possible?

LumRanmaYasha

Man, that would be one heck of a fun game. Great roster. Only tweaks I'd like to see would be getting rid of the double reps so some more of those magazines' other iconic/important characters like Lum, Eightman, and Arale can be included too, making Acnologia from FT the WSM boss (mainly since he can double as both a humanoid and a giant boss), and making the announcers pairs like Conan & Haibara, Yamada & Shiraishi, and for Jump maybe something oddball like Mashiro & Takagi (how weird/appropriate would that be?).

Spark Of Spirit

Pairs as announcers seems like a great idea, especially with Mashiro and Takagi. The comments they would make would be fairly interesting, too.

The reason I included two of some series is purely for the popularity/influence of the series in question. For instance with U&T and GetBackers, there are two really iconic characters that are both technically the protagonists and are just as popular as the other. Also, every sort of game like this always includes at least two characters from some series, so I picked the ones that would make the most sense for a fighting game. Not that your character additions aren't good, though. Maybe they'd be added in a Super Ultra edition?  ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not listing the announcers from either Hajime no Ippo or Ashita no Joe is just nuts if you're even going to have that feature in the first place. Otherwise, great list!

Here's my list for Sega:

Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog) - With Shadow skin as an alternate costume
Miles "Tails" Prower (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Jack (Mad World/Anarchy Reigns)
Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
Jean (Bayonetta)
Sam Gideon (Vanquish)
Beat (Jet Set Radio Future) - With Zero Beat skin as an alternate costume
DJ Professor K (Jet Set Radio Future)
Sparkster (Rocket Knight) - Would have to be licensed from Konami
Axel (Streets of Rage)
Blaze (Streets of Rage)
Ristar (Ristar)
Joe Musashi (Shinobi) - With Hotsuma's outfit skin as an alternate costume
Rolf Landale (Phantasy Star)
Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd)
Shion (Monster World)
Asha (Monster World)
Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Pai Chan (Virtua Fighter)

Villains/Bosses:
Eggman/Dr. Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog)- Playable/Mini-Boss
Perfect Chaos (Sonic Adventure)- Primary Boss
Axel Gear (Rocket Knight) - Playable/Mini-Boss
Rokkaku Gouji (Jet Set Radio Future)- Playable/Mini-Boss
Jubileus, The Creator (Bayonetta)- Final Boss

Much like Kain R. Heinlein from Mark of the Wolves, you'd only fight Jubileus as the final boss if you got a high enough score through the rest of the arcade mode, which would normally just end with Perfect Chaos otherwise (both serve as traditional giant bosses). The arcade mode would randomly alternate between the three mini-bosses.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2016, 02:00:36 PM
Pairs as announcers seems like a great idea, especially with Mashiro and Takagi. The comments they would make would be fairly interesting, too.

The reason I included two of some series is purely for the popularity/influence of the series in question. For instance with U&T and GetBackers, there are two really iconic characters that are both technically the protagonists and are just as popular as the other. Also, every sort of game like this always includes at least two characters from some series, so I picked the ones that would make the most sense for a fighting game. Not that your character additions aren't good, though. Maybe they'd be added in a Super Ultra edition?  ;)

Fair point. I just felt those were such iconic characters that if they were to make a giant crossover game celebrating their legacies I'd like to see them represented somewhere even if they weren't playable. Though I admit to do have a certain favoritism for UY and Dr. Slump as well.  :D

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 14, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
Not listing the announcers from either Hajime no Ippo or Ashita no Joe is just nuts if you're even going to have that feature in the first place. Otherwise, great list!

If we go that route we might as well include the announcer from Dragon Ball too considering he's arguably more of an iconic character than those guys. Though personally, I'd rather see Mashiro & Takagi.  :P

gunswordfist

Hakumen no Mono could be a great boss since he's a size changer. They could have him be smaller and then huge for Super Combo (Fire Blast. Minion Release) Also have his meter be on fire and labeled "Fear" just because.

I say Metal Sonic should be a Sega boss. Sonic has at least 5 different hedgehog-like bosses in his series so I think Metal would be the most fitting to be a boss out of all of them.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody