Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-kenOddly enough I rarely ever come across anyone playing as Elena. Out of curiosity, which version of the game are you playing (XBOX360, PS3/4, or PC)? I suppose the types of opponents that people tend to main more often may vary by console.

I have the ps3/4 and 360 version, but at the moment I mainly play on the ps4 (all the costumes etc.). However, I am willing to bust out the 360 every now and then (Just trying to avoid clutter)

QuoteI knew that you could use an EX-fireball after an EX-DP as the opponent is coming down, but I wasn't aware that you could juggle them with two regular fireballs. I'll have to try that out sometime. While I could incorporate the EX-fireball into that combo that I mentioned and then follow it up with Ultra 1, I find that it's ultimately a waste of meter since it only does about 30 HP worth of extra damage. If you can use regular fireballs and still manage to follow up with an Ultra, though, then it might be worth going for if it's not too hard to pull off.
I messed up. Instead of Ultra, it's sweep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3fuzLm-7ZE

QuoteWell, thanks for the vote of confidence, but rather than selling myself short, it's more like me just being honest about my experience with the game. As I mentioned in that earlier post about why I love this game so much, I lose way more often than I win. Of course I do feel like I learn from each defeat and get a little better each time, but it doesn't really help that most people have moved on to playing SF5, and the people left playing SF4 on the XBOX360 tend to be upper B-ranked players with a few thousand BP or more on average. I'm still at a D-rank, BTW, and the highest BP that I ever had with a character was with Evil Ryu, and I was still only in the hundreds. Every time I manage to get a few wins under my belt, I quickly find myself in a losing streak again and my BP get knocked back way down.

I see. I'm more of an Endless Battle type. I suppose rank would help to keep that competitve fire going but my competitiveness left a long time ago. If anything I just look to learn and have hype matches.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I played a bit of SF5 and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator with my older brother last night. Despite him being much better than me at the game, he decided to use characters that he doesn't normally play with in order to balance things out between us last night, and I was also doing surprisingly well with Ryu, especially when it came to parrying fireballs. He still beat me most of the time, but by the time we were done playing our win-to-loss ratio was around 60/40 in his favor, which is the best that I've managed to do against him in a while.

As for Guilty Gear, my brother just got the game and neither of us have played any of the previous games, so neither of us had any idea what we were doing. I was mostly button mashing, in all honesty, but started to pick up the basic mechanics and concepts of movement and gameplay along the way. This was a lot of fun since the matches were pretty even being that both of us clearly sucked at a game we hadn't played before, and the focus was just on having fun rather than trying to play a serious match.

Quote from: Mustang on June 30, 2016, 11:45:45 AMI see. I'm more of an Endless Battle type. I suppose rank would help to keep that competitve fire going but my competitiveness left a long time ago. If anything I just look to learn and have hype matches.

Oh, I'm not all that competitive either. I mainly just play for fun as well. The reason for why I choose to play ranked matches over Endless Battle is because of the immediacy in which I can join a match and fight. I'm not a huge fan of entering into a lobby and having to watch other players fight while waiting my turn to go up (and mostly likely be defeated). I just like to play match after match, even if I'm losing, as I can at least get into a certain zone if I'm constantly kept active and getting practice in.

Mustang

Speaking of Street Fighter 5, Balrog, my goodness could you be anymore of a boss?! It was almost like Capcom was trying to make Balrog a combination of Balrog and Dudley. I'm not entirely sold on him though. I think I said that I'm terrible with charge characters, but I'll probably try him out. Urien and Juri look good. I'm not giddy on them like so many other folks are though. Not sold on Ibuki at all. Hopefully the next set of characters will hook me.

I think for Guilty Gear (and BB), the biggest thing for me to get used to is the movement. Being somewhat decent with UMvC3 and SFxT the chain combos are easy enough for me to grasp. I'm "alright" with the Roman Cancels (I wasn't great with FADC combos either), but the movement has always been my biggest weakness.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, No matter how much I practice them, I still find FADCs to be incredibly tough, especially when utilized in the middle of a long combo. Timing your input for the Focus Cancel combined with the motion for a forward or backward dash isn't so bad, but then immediately transitioning into the proper input for your follow-up attack can be really tricky at times depending on the combo that you're trying to use.

With Evil Ryu, I was actually able to get his Cr.MK, Hadouken (EX-optional), FADC ===> Ultra 2 combo down pretty well on a pad, but on a stick it feels nearly impossible to get down that Ultra input in time. I'm still having trouble performing those double-quarter-circle motions consistently using a stick, whereas it was so easy for me to do with a d-pad; though, conversely, I actually find double-half-circle motions a lot easier than I did with a d-pad. Using an arcade stick is just really weird for me in that way.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just played through SF5's recently released story mode DLC. Much like any story-related feature involving the Street Fighter cast, it suffers a bit too much from trying to cram so many characters into a huge ensemble piece. While this could work for a long-running serialization or anime series, it feels too cluttered for a 2+ hour story, where no single character gets that much time to develop. It was still kind of entertaining for all of the fan service, though.

I didn't realize that Laura is Sean's sister until I played this, it was neat seeing Urien, and Gill appear during the mid-credits scene was certainly a surprise. That said, I do wish that there was a bit more to this story besides just lots of cool Easter Eggs for the fans. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but I just wish that there was a bit more heart behind this plot in order to make it more interesting to follow.

Peanutbutter

Probably I'll like the Story Mode since IV also had only a two hour story but I don't see why we can't get fighting games with longer stories.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Peanutbutter on July 04, 2016, 11:01:16 PMProbably I'll like the Story Mode since IV also had only a two hour story but I don't see why we can't get fighting games with longer stories.

Do you mean the SF4 anime movie and/or the Juri OVA by any chance? Because I own two different versions of SF4, and it certainly doesn't have a story mode as far as I can tell.

As for longer story modes, I believe that the Midway fighting games (MK9, MKX, and Injustice) have story modes that last about twice as long as SF5's, and while they aren't masterpieces by any stretch, I do feel that they are a bit better at handling their general plots and character development.

Mustang

Been playing a bit more Street Fighter 5. Been playing (and watching) more Necalli, and yoooo. This guy just might be a bit funner than Ken and Karin. I may end up making him my main and Ken the backup. This guy hits hard and seems relatively simple to play, perhaps may be able to teach me more about spacing and footsies.

Speaking of which, how does everyone go about picking their mains? (If you actually have a main) Do you go by aesthetic appeal or how they feel? Or are you a character loyalist or go by whose the best character in the game? I've always been a combination of aesthetic appeal and character loyalty all the way up to SSF4. Guy was usually my dude back in the Alpha 2/3 days, but in SSF4 he was just not good and rather difficult to play. And that brings me to the "up to SSF4" statement. Nowadays I also go by how a character feels. I never would've gave Dudley a 2nd thought if I didn't try him out only to find out that he suited the style I was going for far more better than Guy (Even more so than Cody when I tried to play him, and I found him boring). Even in 3rd Strike, I never would've given him a 2nd thought if it wasn't for me trying him out in SSF4. I only played Ken and made some attempts to play Yang. Brownie points for Dudley for having stylish combos as well.

Which brings me to Street Fighter 5 and Necalli. Outside of Balrog and maybe Urien, don't nobody in the game hit nearly as hard as this guy (and you actually get that impact as if you're actually getting hit) and is probably the only other character that I found that just suit me just as much as Dudley (I can probably express myself through both characters). If I were to go to other games like Tekken or Guilty Gear it'd be all aesthetics. It's just a cherry on top that Jin/Hwoarang and Sol/Johnny/Sin just hit hard as hell.

Even if I were to bring it to UMvC3, Dante, Vergil for the aesthetics and Spencer, Nova for hitting hard as hell. But you get the gist.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Interestingly enough, I actually found Guy to be one of the characters that I played much better with. This is mainly because his normals and ordinary special moves are really effective, and his Ultra 1 has a decent range and lots of i-frames on start-up making it a really useful counter to various attacks, especially fireballs. His combo options are fairly limited compared to other characters, but I actually liked that since I could win matches just based on Guy's strong fundamentals alone.

That said, despite being the character that I play the best with, he's not my main because he doesn't have any ranged attacks whatsoever. Evil Ryu is my main, and not necessarily because he's a Shoto, but more so because I find that he fits all three criteria for what I want in a well-balanced character: good ranged options, good close-range options, and a wide assortment of varied B n' B combos to mix things up with. I may still suck with him, but he's the most fun character for me to play as.

Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu9WBCUfR2I

If I played Guy anywhere near this good I'd be a lot happier, but I don't. Anyway, I consider Guy more of a frame trap character (much like Cody and Dudley). If you look at the match at 2:46 and look at Guy's pressure that's being applied towards Vega is where I think Guy truly shines, and for me that's too much execution for me, let alone playing against shoto's as Guy.

I only asked the question because I'm wondering if people go through as many character crisis as me. Right now I'm jumping back and forth between Ken, Necalli, Karin and now Balrog is in the mix as well. Even though he is a charge character and I can't play them, he is as close to Dudley as I'm going to get. Even as I currently type this I'm leaning heavily towards making Balrog the main and Ken the backup. In USF4 my character crisis was even worse before I chose Dudley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZaEoA2tyg
Beautiful stuff. When I say that's as close as I'm gonna get to Dudley I meant in terms of resets. In the match against Laura I think I saw at least 3 overhead resets (maybe even more than that) and if you've ever been hit by an overhead from Dudley, well, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroZEFqgqoY

Anyway, that's my current dilemma.

Edit: Turns out it was only 2 overhead resets in the first match against Laura.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

So a lot has happened since my last post in this thread. Still tossing back and forth on who I want to use in SFV to I don't want to say "giving up" on the game, but I'm putting it aside for the time being. Stopped playing Guilty Gear XXAC+R. I'm gonna miss this game (the online is terrible and I'd be waiting forever to get some games in). Fully committing to Xrd:R, and besides, playing Johnny in both games messes me up lol (kind of like trying to play Ken/Ryu the same way from SF3-5).

Still playing USF4, and while Dudley is still the main, Evil Ryu is the secondary. I still intend to play you, Ensatsu-ken. My internet is beyond terrible at the moment. I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be able to get a game in because of how crappy my internet connection has been. And then of course SF3 is still being played. BlazBlue is still being played.

Anyway, I know I said that I'd check KoF14 out but didn't think I'd stick with it or something along those lines and while I still don't own the game I am checking out some matches. The trailers didn't do this game any justice at all. The graphics are still average, but the way the game plays out looks really good. I will have my copy come this Friday.

Are there any characters that you're afraid to fight? We all know bad matchups exists, but my personal demon is Makoto (3s, USF4). She scares the hell outta me because it's like 2 mixups and you are dead. I got some deep scars fighting her lol. Cammy (USF4) is up there as well.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Mustang

Akuma Reveal

Dang you ugly, but your moves are sick. I might drop Necalli for you.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite

I know some people are happy now lol. I'm not sure how to feel about this because of other rumors about X-Men characters not being in it. As for the trailer itself I think its good.
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 03, 2016, 05:59:29 PMMVC is dead to me.

This officially makes it my new favorite fighting game franchise! :>

Daxdiv

I just hope that Capcom doesn't Capcom this game like it did with SFV.