Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Both Maximilian Dood and Jirard "The Completionist" are huge fans of UMvC3, and neither have watched an episode of DBZ in their life. Both of them had hands on time with the MVCI and DBFZ at E3 and both of them came out rather disappointed and underwhelmed by MVCI (they liked it, but also reluctantly admitted that it was a step back from UMvC3) whereas DBFZ is now one of their most anticipated games of next year (Jirard even ranked it as his second favorite game of E3 whereas MVCI barely cracked his number ten spot).

I point this out not because I want to belittle MVCI. I actually was really excited for the game when it was first announced, and unlike most people on this board I enjoyed UMvC3 because I wasn't expecting a balanced fighter when this series has literally never been that type of game. They were always about interesting mechanics and the novelty of playing your favorite characters first and foremost, so that's all I went in for and up until the last game that's what I got, more or less. This one, though, based on what I'm seeing and hearing....I'm honestly just not feeling it. I genuinely want to be pumped for it, but the game just looks dull to me, and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

As for DBFZ, I couldn't have cared less about it until I saw that reveal trailer, and it instantly usurped MVCI's place as my most anticipated upcoming fighting game. The fact that it's legitimately getting good feedback from fans of the genre only makes it more enticing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Speaking of DBFZ, I've barely played any of Guilty Gear or BlazBlue, but does ASW typically tend to do shotos or charge characters in a similar fashion to Capcom or SNK games, or is their approach to combat completely different?

Dr. Insomniac

So there's something I wondering about MVCI's roster. I know some shady behind the scenes stuff with Perlmutter is why they're not using any Mutants or Dr. Doom, but if they're restricted to mostly MCU characters, then why not add Punisher, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, or Jessica Jones? Why leave it to only a roster of twentysomething when the Marvel universe still has dozens of superheroes even if you cut out all the X-Men?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 20, 2017, 05:16:54 PM
So there's something I wondering about MVCI's roster. I know some shady behind the scenes stuff with Perlmutter is why they're not using any Mutants or Dr. Doom, but if they're restricted to mostly MCU characters, then why not add Punisher, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, or Jessica Jones? Why leave it to only a roster of twentysomething when the Marvel universe still has dozens of superheroes even if you cut out all the X-Men?

Because Capcom loves that DLC money.

Mustang

Hmm, that's interesting. I think most people would say GG and BB motions are like Capcom, but would describe Sol and Ky / Ragna and Jin as your shotos. At a basic level though, yeah, think Capcom.

I'm still salty that Black Panther is DLC.

Also, I tend to gloss over Max's opinion quite a bit these days, but of the folks I saw give impressions on MvCI, his and Filipino Champ came off as the most honest. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Capcom is paying these players to shill for the game at all, but I do believe some of these pros will shill for anything that's Capcom (Truth be told, there's nothing wrong with that either. I just have no trust in them after what's been done to SF5. Also, I'd say us as gamers need to stay the hell out of other folks pockets)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2017, 05:20:30 PM
Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on June 20, 2017, 05:16:54 PM

Because Capcom loves that DLC money.
And because most of the execs at Marvel are not that bright.

If it was Marvel Studios in charge you probably would be getting characters like those.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2017, 04:53:59 PM
Speaking of DBFZ, I've barely played any of Guilty Gear or BlazBlue, but does ASW typically tend to do shotos or charge characters in a similar fashion to Capcom or SNK games, or is their approach to combat completely different?

Like Mustang said, ASW games have at least one shoto in them (though charge characters are pretty rare) and most motions are indeed similar to Capcom and SNK.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's good to know. Granted, I do think that some characters would be more suited to charge motions; stuff like Ten Shinhan's Kikoho or Hit's time-skip attacks just naturally feel like things that would be more suited to straight charge motions as opposed to semicircular inputs, IMO. That said, I don't know if either character will even be in the game, so maybe most will just naturally play like variations of the archetypical shoto-style character.

Markness

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2017, 04:53:59 PM

You are really missing out, IMO.

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue take the best of both worlds; the moves are generally but not insultingly easy to pull off as with most Capcom fighters but the moves list are big like SNK fighters. There never seems to be enough special moves in Street Fighter and Darkstalkers while The King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown has loads of them. Street Fighter does win over KoF as far as visuals, though. I guess that's partly why Street Fighter tends to sell better in the West than KoF.
Sol's a pretty good character if you want someone like Ryu or Terry Bogard due to having pretty much the same move inputs as well as similar moves to both characters.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually don't mind not having an over-abundance of special moves in Street Fighter. That series has always emphasized a strong foundation of fundamentals over pulling off crazy or flashy combos, which is personally more up my alley with 1v1 fighters. Perhaps that's probably why I like USFIV more than most people. It's slower paced but far more satisfying for me to land hits in than say, something like Marvel Vs. Capcom in which it's generally easier to spam special attacks (granted that can easily be overcome by a substantially more skilled opponent), which is still fun, but not as much to my preference.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 20, 2017, 11:33:42 PM
I actually don't mind not having an over-abundance of special moves in Street Fighter. That series has always emphasized a strong foundation of fundamentals over pulling off crazy or flashy combos, which is personally more up my alley with 1v1 fighters.

That's all fine and dandy, but I think you're missing the bigger picture. Now that my rose-tinted glasses are off and my hype for DBFZ has leveled off a bit I can come at this from a different perspective. This is ASW. What set Guilty Gear and BlazBlue apart from everyone else are the over-abundance of specials and command normals. If DBFZ were to come out tomorrow it could literally be called Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.5 based on gameplay alone. For an ASW game, that's a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HBvRTamMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3E2PkhtEhQ

You take that stuff away you get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3tiaABGVTY

Now take the 3v3 aspect out of DBFZ and remember all you got is light, medium, heavy, wall bounce , special. For a ASW game, that's a problem. Good thing this is 20% done and all of this is speculation right?

Edit:

Shit. Did I just misread everything?

My bad, what a day. I'm gonna go sit in the corner for a little bit. :sweat:
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be honest I'm really confused at this point anyways. Between this board, my older brother, and various blog posters and YouTubers, I've been hearing quite a few conflicting opinions on modern fighting games to the point where I'm not even sure if there is a general consensus on anything anymore. :D

As for DBFZ, I am actually a bit worried that it's apparently only 20% done when the release window is for early next year. I understand that ASW doesn't typically have super lengthy development cycles, but getting the game out in under a year from being only a fifth of the way done does seem a bit too fast-paced of a process to me.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 21, 2017, 03:32:39 PM
To be honest I'm really confused at this point anyways. Between this board, my older brother, and various blog posters and YouTubers, I've been hearing quite a few conflicting opinions on modern fighting games to the point where I'm not even sure if there is a general consensus on anything anymore. :D

As for DBFZ, I am actually a bit worried that it's apparently only 20% done when the release window is for early next year. I understand that ASW doesn't typically have super lengthy development cycles, but getting the game out in under a year from being only a fifth of the way done does seem a bit too fast-paced of a process to me.

LOL. That sounds about right. That could be because the FGC is so divided. There's like 5 different communities within the FGC and while I won't say it's toxic or anything, but its definitely like none of them will support the other.

What about modern fighting games is confusing you? It could be the era we're in instead of the games themselves (Taunt and teabagging or whatever stupidity there is now)
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Jamie, Juri
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Future Trunks confirmed for the roster: https://youtu.be/7yg-D_TvM2k

Not at all surprising considering his overall popularity among the fandom.

I think that Piccolo and Ten Shinhan will also be safe bets (the producer actually claimed that Ten was one of her favorite DB characters). As for the more unique characters that ASW wants to try out, I do hope that Mr. Satan and Jaco find their way into the roster.

Spark Of Spirit

One of my mains confirmed!  8-)

I would be surprised if anyone who wasn't a main character in the four main DBZ sagas isn't playable in this game. They are the most obvious choices for fighters to choose from. Like I don't see Android 18 showing up without 17. Buu Saga is a little harder to go off of though because there were so many characters which only had slight relevance to the overall arc. That said, OG DB characters like Tenshinhan, Krillin, Master Roshi, and Yamcha, would be nice to see.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton