Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum is another really good one.

Unfortunately, the only other Fatal Fury game on the service is Fatal Fury Special and that's a bit old school in design. The Virtual Console has many more SNK fighters for download.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, between SS2, NGBC, KOF '98, and KOF XIII, which SNK fighter would you recommend I prioritize as the next one I download (or pick-up on disc in the case of KOF XIII)? I suppose a better way to phrase the question would be: which game of those 4 would offer me the most for my money?

Spark Of Spirit

That's a hard call. SS2 is a classic but I don't know how long it will last you. The KOF games have really big roster however, those should last a while. NGBC is sort of a "mix" game with characters from all sorts of franchises.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

I'm not a fighting game enthusiast or anything, but I am back to playing them again and that's mainly because of Street Fighter 4, which at this moment is my favorite game. I'm not nearly as competitive as I once was, nor am I playing seriously. I play to have fun, but at the same time I like learning the game, even, though it's probably the hardest/toughest game to learn because of the links that're so hard to pull off because of timing. I think I read from an earlier post that someone found the game boring (I don't know how that person feel about it now) and I respect that, but I have a question. Do you know what you're looking at when you see a match? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic or anything, but a lot of people that say they found the game boring is because they don't know what they're looking at on the screen (footsies, zoning, spacing, etc). I'm probably the last person that should be trying to explain anything since I'm still learning the game myself even though I've had the game for about 2 years now (I just haven't had the time to put in learning the game). I'm still trying to figure out my identity, but I've been jumping back and forth between so many characters (Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Cammy, Fei Long, Abel, Rose, Oni, and Yun). Right now I got it narrowed down to Cody, Guy, Cammy and Rose.

And then we get to my next favorite, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Like SSF4, I haven't had the time to really put into the game, but I enjoy learning. It's a lot easier than SSF4 for sure, and definately a lot funner (mainly because it lacks all the technical aspects that's in SSF4). I know people say this game is not good, hell, even the "experts/pros" say it's not a good game because of the randomness and the x-factor comeback mechanic, but I say whatever, it's hype and fun. My team at the moment is Dante, Vergil, Spencer. I'm a big fan of the Devil May Cry series, and well, having both of them in the same game is a no brainer for me. As for Spencer... watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujD2wYpCw6Q that link. Don't that look fun? I'm also thinking of rotating other characters in place for Spencer, like Doom, Magneto, Taskmaster and Hawkeye.

Those are the main games I play even though I have KoF13, Persona 4: Arena and BlazBlue: CSE. At one point I did have Street Fighter x Tekken, and for the most part the gameplay was fun but it's a boring game to watch. I've been considering buying it again only because I've watching a lot of videos with Jin in them. I've also been thinking about getting Guilty Gear on PSN, but for the time being I'm gonna wait simply because of the over saturation of fighting games and not to mention trying to learn one that's really deep (imagine trying to juggle between them along with trying to learn 2-4 characters in SSF4)

As for 3D fighters, I'd say blame DoA 4 and Tekken 5 for my dislike of them, but I'm beginning to into them again, although I'd say I never feel I'd be able to get into the Soul Calibur games again. I like the 1st SC, but something about the others just rubbed me the wrong way.

In any case, we're probably wondering why I haven't mentioned MK9 yet. Simply put, not a fan. I haven't like a MK game since Trilogy, and while I understand that it went back to that sort of style in a way, I can't say that I like what I saw. While I do understand that developers are trying to draw in newcomers, but I've never been one to care about story in a fighting game. If you're playing to have fun, and you're with other folks why do you need a story?

Anyway, like I said, it's all because of Street Fighter 4 that my love for fighting games has been renewed. Last year I ended up going to Evo (just to spectate). Had a blast, although, there would be things I'd do differently if I were to go this year.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 02, 2013, 11:33:50 AM
I'm still trying to figure out my identity, but I've been jumping back and forth between so many characters (Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Cammy, Fei Long, Abel, Rose, Oni, and Yun). Right now I got it narrowed down to Cody, Guy, Cammy and Rose.

Since I'm currently stuck with my standard XBOX360 controller which is not meant for fighting games at all, I tend to stick to characters with much simpler inputs, mainly most of the basic characters like Ryu, Ken, Gouken, Yun, Adon, and basically all of the characters who only require simple circular or semi-circular motions on the d-pad or analogue stick. I tend to avoid characters like Chun-Li, Guile, Blanka, Cammy, and others that require straight or diagonal motions to execute most of their special attacks since its near impossible for me to input those commands on either my XBOX360 d-pad or analogue stick. I did actually order a fightpad since I wanted to use one for all of my 2D gaming in general, but it looks like it'll still take a while to get here, so for now I'm sticking the characters that I find to be simpler to control with the controller that I currently have available to me.

QuoteAnd then we get to my next favorite, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I'm glad to see that I'm no longer the only person on this board who enjoys that game. Granted that I still don't own it and suck horribly at it, but I LOVE playing it with my friends when I get the chance, and even when I'm losing I still think its fun to play that game and it feels really satisfying to pull off long combos in it, at least for me. That said, you and me liking that game makes us in the minority on this board, since just about everyone else here hates it, though to be fair they have legitimate reasons I suppose, but as a very casual fighting game fan, I think its a pretty fun game in the same vein that I think that Dead or Alive Ultimate is a very fun game, despite not being a hardcore technical fighter.

Grave

Believe it or not Cammy is also one of those characters that uses half circle or quarter circle inputs. And to be honest she's one of the easier characters to use, but also one of the harder characters to master because of her 1-frame links. I, too, have the same problem of playing charge characters since it messes with my thumbs when playing on any form of pad. I'm currently making the painful transition to using an arcade stick. While I was never good on pad to begin with, I figured I might as well switch so I wouldn't be able to blame my poor execution on pad.

As for UMvC3, do they hate it because Megaman's not in it or for actual gameplay reasoning? If it has anything to do with the roster, it can be ignored. :)

Foggle

I like MvC 3 because I can play as Deadpool! Don't give a shit about Capcom fighting games otherwise though. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 02, 2013, 01:52:45 PM
Believe it or not Cammy is also one of those characters that uses half circle or quarter circle inputs. And to be honest she's one of the easier characters to use, but also one of the harder characters to master because of her 1-frame links. I, too, have the same problem of playing charge characters since it messes with my thumbs when playing on any form of pad. I'm currently making the painful transition to using an arcade stick. While I was never good on pad to begin with, I figured I might as well switch so I wouldn't be able to blame my poor execution on pad.

Yeah, I myself can't afford any of the arcade sticks that are actually worth buying (which are easily at least $100 or more), and don't have the knowledge and skills to mod a cheaper arcade stick set.

For me, its not really worth getting them unless I planned to play these games really seriously, which I don't. I just want a good controller option for 2D fighting games as well as most 2D games in general. I just want to have fun but also have enough precision to actually be able to play a little bit competitively rather than having to rely on button mashing and luck.

QuoteAs for UMvC3, do they hate it because Megaman's not in it or for actual gameplay reasoning? If it has anything to do with the roster, it can be ignored. :)

Well, from what I can gather, most people here hate it because of the roster, which I do ignore. Rynnec hates it for more legitimate reasons like not liking how combo-heavy it is while not being completely balanced, which is fine, but I myself am not nearly good enough to capitalize on or even know what those balance issues are, so it doesn't really bother me, honestly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:06:31 PM
I like MvC 3 because I can play as Deadpool!

What about Dante and Vergil?

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:25:33 PM
What about Dante and Vergil?
Well, I love almost all the characters in that game. It's just one of the only ones out there with Deadpool in it. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
Well, I love almost all the characters in that game. It's just one of the only ones out there with Deadpool in it. ;)

And its also the only one with Dante and Vergil in it. None of the other Capcom vs. games (including all of the non-Marvel ones) featured Dante as a playable fighter in the game other than this one, despite him being such an obvious choice for a cross-over fighting game series, which is something that always baffled me.

Spark Of Spirit

IIRC Dante and Deadpool were rumored for the MvC3 that was going to be made before Capcom lost the license. So basically the game that would have been made a decade ago.

DMC1 wasn't really a thing when MvC2 came out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 02, 2013, 02:34:58 PM
IIRC Dante and Deadpool were rumored for the MvC3 that was going to be made before Capcom lost the license. So basically the game that would have been made a decade ago.

I'm aware of that, but there were other Capcom vs. games since the DMC series came out. If I'm not mistaken, weren't there a few Cacpom vs. SNK games that came out in the 2000's, and there was also Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which came out well before MvC3 and that didn't feature Dante either, though maybe its because at that point they were saving him for MvC3 and didn't want to use him in what they considered to be the "smaller" game from a sales figure standpoint.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 02, 2013, 02:34:58 PM

I'm aware of that, but there were other Capcom vs. games since the DMC series came out. If I'm not mistaken, weren't there a few Cacpom vs. SNK games that came out in the 2000's, and there was also Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which came out well before MvC3 and that didn't feature Dante either, though maybe its because at that point they were saving him for MvC3 and didn't want to use him in what they considered to be the "smaller" game from a sales figure standpoint.
Well, Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (which was more focused on core fighting game characters) and MvC2 were the last two vs games until Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. Tatsunoko was also focused on lesser known characters, so that wasn't much of a surprise either.

Unfortunately, Dante had to wait for a proper MvC3, no matter how long that took. Simply for the publicity.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:28:32 PM

And its also the only one with Dante and Vergil in it. None of the other Capcom vs. games (including all of the non-Marvel ones) featured Dante as a playable fighter in the game other than this one, despite him being such an obvious choice for a cross-over fighting game series, which is something that always baffled me.
I meant games in general. :SHOCK: