Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
Well, I love almost all the characters in that game. It's just one of the only ones out there with Deadpool in it. ;)

And its also the only one with Dante and Vergil in it. None of the other Capcom vs. games (including all of the non-Marvel ones) featured Dante as a playable fighter in the game other than this one, despite him being such an obvious choice for a cross-over fighting game series, which is something that always baffled me.
I meant games in general. :SHOCK:
ou didn't play that action RPG game with Deadpool in it? I heard he was broken.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 02, 2013, 02:46:18 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: Foggle on January 02, 2013, 02:28:32 PM
Well, I love almost all the characters in that game. It's just one of the only ones out there with Deadpool in it. ;)

And its also the only one with Dante and Vergil in it. None of the other Capcom vs. games (including all of the non-Marvel ones) featured Dante as a playable fighter in the game other than this one, despite him being such an obvious choice for a cross-over fighting game series, which is something that always baffled me.
I meant games in general. :SHOCK:
ou didn't play that action RPG game with Deadpool in it? I heard he was broken.
Not a big fan of those Marvel Alliance games, really.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 02, 2013, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: Grave on January 02, 2013, 01:52:45 PM
Believe it or not Cammy is also one of those characters that uses half circle or quarter circle inputs. And to be honest she's one of the easier characters to use, but also one of the harder characters to master because of her 1-frame links. I, too, have the same problem of playing charge characters since it messes with my thumbs when playing on any form of pad. I'm currently making the painful transition to using an arcade stick. While I was never good on pad to begin with, I figured I might as well switch so I wouldn't be able to blame my poor execution on pad.

Yeah, I myself can't afford any of the arcade sticks that are actually worth buying (which are easily at least $100 or more), and don't have the knowledge and skills to mod a cheaper arcade stick set.

For me, its not really worth getting them unless I planned to play these games really seriously, which I don't. I just want a good controller option for 2D fighting games as well as most 2D games in general. I just want to have fun but also have enough precision to actually be able to play a little bit competitively rather than having to rely on button mashing and luck.

QuoteAs for UMvC3, do they hate it because Megaman's not in it or for actual gameplay reasoning? If it has anything to do with the roster, it can be ignored. :)

Truthfully, I wouldn't recommend getting a stick unless you were going to commit to it anyway, and, well you've already established that much. I'd say stick with what you're comfortable with. While I should be following my own advice, I just like the idea of using a fight stick for fighting games. Not to mention if I were to ever get around to playing KoF13 or decide to ever pick up a character like Guile, my thumb would really take a beating by the end of the first round. While I don't plan to get serious with any of these games, I do want to be better than my brother-in-law.

As far as balance goes in UMvC3. I'm not good enough to point out what needs balancing either. As far as what's being said on other forums though, Zero seems to be the best character while Doom is the best assist. The only annoying thing I've seen in UMvC is Morrigan with Doom missiles. Great tactic but turns the game into such a bore, especially when you keep watching it over and over, and it sucks because no one has been able to beat this tactic either. Other than that every single character in the game has a chance to land a touch-of-death combo (I hear that KoF13's cast is the same. As in every character is playable/has a chance to win)

gunswordfist

MUA2 is the best 3D beat em up of last gen.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

Gotta revive this because I had an epiphany. I was playing Street Fighter 4 earlier and came to the realization that SSF4's training mode is straight up boring, especially when the links are so damn hard to pull off. I use to have fun trying to pull off these links because I thought I'd be satisfied in the long run. But that's not the case, especially when all you have to go by is Youtube videos, and using something like a rhythm like system in your mind to get the timing down for links, especially when you get into the 1-frame links.

What caused this (I think we know that I consider SF4 the best fighting game, or use to think that)? I popped in Persona 4 Arena for the first time today, and instantly fell in love with the game. Even though they are completely different, P4A is way more accessible than SF4 considering it's much easier to get into, although I will say that a fight stick is very much needed unless you map your shoulder buttons. Anyway, as I said it's much easier to get into since you don't really have to worry about links so much. All you really have to get down is timing, and I'm finding that way better and satisfying. From what I can recall of Guilty Gear this was the same case, and I think I'm liking Arc Systems fighters over the rest of the bunch (However, I've yet to try out Blazblue). The one thing I can say that's a negative for Persona at the moment is the characters, but it's also true for most of Arcs fighting games, shortage of characters, but I suppose the amount of depth that goes into each character makes up for it.

I will say that UMvC3 is perhaps my favorite now since it takes a cue from Arc's games (although, it'll probably change when I put more time into P4A). I've yet to pop in KoF13, but because of the high execution barrier, and me not having time to put into trying to learn that stuff, it'll probably be a while before I get into that one.

I understand MK9 goes back to that somewhat, and that's good and all, but something about it turns me off. The character animations... I mean, coming from a game like SF4 to MK9, the animation looks terrible, and speaking of which, Injustice, while it has my attention because of the things you can do with the environment, but that animation is horrible. I don't know why it looks so bad to me. If I had to put my finger on it, I think it's because they get real people to do the moves, but they just pose rather than actually do the moves and it comes off as "ugh" (I'm pretty sure somebody can explain that better than I can).

I'll probably get back into the 3D fighters as well (outside of Soul Calibur... I can't get into that series). Starting with DoA5 and TTT2. But I am curious about other folks opinions about Injustice. Perhaps I might be swayed into getting that game once it comes out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meh, Soul Calibur is the only 3D fighting game that I care about. The rest are just boring, IMO.

Well, I had some fun with DOA2/Ultimate, but its far from being a great fighting game, and is more of a game that I enjoyed casually playing every now and then back when I had it.

As for the 2D fighting games, being that I suck at all fighters, I can't tell you which ones are the best at a more hardcore level. All I can say is that I've had plenty of fun with SSF4 and UVMC3 from what I've played of both of those games. I tried BlazBlue but it actually didn't feel that accessible to me. Like I said, I suck at fighting games, but usually I can get the basics down alright in most, but something about BB's combat just didn't translate well with me when I tried to play it.

I've also been playing Garou: Mark of the Wolves on and off, and its another good 2D fighter that I find to be a bit more accessible than most in terms of getting down the basics without the combat system feeling too overwhelming. I don't ever plan to play any of these fighting games competitively, so for now SSF4 is the game that I'm having the most fun with, and really I haven't even played it online yet. I just play it against the computer in Arcade most most of the time and occasionally against some of my friends when I can get one of them over to play through a few rounds (which isn't often since we're all usually pretty busy).

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-KenMeh, Soul Calibur is the only 3D fighting game that I care about. The rest are just boring, IMO.
The only Soul Calibur game I liked was SC1. I tried SC2, but it never clicked with me, and then I went onto SC4 and, well, yeah, never liked it since.

QuoteWell, I had some fun with DOA2/Ultimate, but its far from being a great fighting game, and is more of a game that I enjoyed casually playing every now and then back when I had it.
I've also had some fun with DoA2. My brother and I had some epic fights in that game (along with Virtua Fighter 2). I actually thought DoA2/3 were great 3-D fighters, but then again, that's subjective and depends on what you're looking for, which at that time I was looking for something like Power Stone and DoA2/3 was the closest thing in terms of involving the environment. Honestly, I'd say Power Stone was the greatest fighting game of all time. When I saw characters roll over tables and jump over chairs I was done (in a good way).

QuoteAs for the 2D fighting games, being that I suck at all fighters, I can't tell you which ones are the best at a more hardcore level. All I can say is that I've had plenty of fun with SSF4 and UVMC3 from what I've played of both of those games. I tried BlazBlue but it actually didn't feel that accessible to me. Like I said, I suck at fighting games, but usually I can get the basics down alright in most, but something about BB's combat just didn't translate well with me when I tried to play it.
IMO there is no "best". All that stuff is too subjective for me. But I would say if you want to label something as "best" look at what games go to EVO. With that said though, I've also had fun with SSF4 and UMvC3, but like I said, SSF4's training and trial mode is boring. While I don't play these games to go to tournaments, I do play to get at a decent level, and me playing arcade mode won't cut it, and you can only get so far with doing jab jab jab sweep. UMvC3 is more my type since the combos aren't so tedious to pull off. You just gotta adjust your timing and that's it. With SSF4, your timing has to be precise. And while I don't hate the thought of that, I just lack the time to do so (considering I work from 3pm-11:30pm 5 days a week). And as I mentioned, training and trial mode really sucks. If I recall Virtua Fighter 4 had the best way to utilize training mode since it showed you everything you needed to know (from basic movement all the way down to advance combos). SSF4 lacks in that area, especially with Arcade Edition's 4 additional characters lacking a trial mode to begin with.

As for BlazBlue, I've yet to play it, but I heard it's the next hardest game, execution-wise next to KoF13. I don't know if that means much to you, but for me, I don't know yet until I play it. But if the training mode is anywhere near like VF4's, then I'm game (come to think of it, I've yet to touch GG's training mode)

As for G:MotW, unfortunately I'm pretty much done with all the old fighting games (lord knows I'm tired of all these online remake editions Capcom keeps putting out). I think I said in the "whatcha playing thread" that I may main Yun in 3rd Strike, but I probably won't even bother with that. The only old school fighter I'll probably play is Guilty Gear 2, and that's because that's a game I really wanted to learn.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on January 29, 2013, 09:12:45 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-KenMeh, Soul Calibur is the only 3D fighting game that I care about. The rest are just boring, IMO.
The only Soul Calibur game I liked was SC1. I tried SC2, but it never clicked with me, and then I went onto SC4 and, well, yeah, never liked it since.

Soul Calibur 1 is great. Soulc Calibur 2 is the best one for basically improving on the first game in every way. Everything after that is pretty much a step down, though I actually haven't tried SC5 yet so I can't say much about that one, though for what its worth I still did enjoy SC4 quite a bit despite its shortcomings. The only one in the series that I downright don't like is SC3, though I can't really get into Soul Edge/Blade either (but I can recognize it as being a good game for its time).

Every other 3D fighting game I've tried just feels too slow and boring for my taste (i.e., Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc.), though to be fair games of that sort are far more methodical than the more casual friendly fighting games than Soul Calibur. I do enjoy DOA2, of course, but that's merely just another exception for me.

QuoteI've also had some fun with DoA2. My brother and I had some epic fights in that game (along with Virtua Fighter 2). I actually thought DoA2/3 were great 3-D fighters, but then again, that's subjective and depends on what you're looking for, which at that time I was looking for something like Power Stone and DoA2/3 was the closest thing in terms of involving the environment. Honestly, I'd say Power Stone was the greatest fighting game of all time. When I saw characters roll over tables and jump over chairs I was done (in a good way).

I completely forgot about Power Stone, being that I keep thinking of its as its own separate thing even though it qualifies as a fighting game. I also love Power Stone. Its fast and frantic, and while its not the least bit technical, I couldn't give 2-shits about that because its a shit-ton of fun, IMO. And to me, that's really all that matters in the end. In contrast, as technical as a game like Virtua Fighter is, its just too overwhelming for me to handle and really have any fun with.

QuoteIMO there is no "best". All that stuff is too subjective for me. With that said though, I've also had fun with SSF4 and UMvC3, but like I said, SSF4's training and trial mode is boring. While I don't play these games to go to tournaments, I do play to get at a decent level, and me playing arcade mode won't cut it, and you can only get so far with doing jab jab jab sweep. UMvC3 is more my type since the combos aren't so tedious to pull off. You just gotta adjust your timing and that's it. With SSF4, your timing has to be precise. And while I don't hate the thought of that, I just lack the time to do so (considering I work from 3pm-11:30pm 5 days a week). And as I mentioned, training and trial mode really sucks. If I recall Virtua Fighter 4 had the best way to utilize training mode since it showed you everything you needed to know (from basic movement all the way down to advance combos). SSF4 lacks in that area, especially with Arcade Edition's 4 additional characters lacking a trial mode to begin with.

I can understand what you're saying about the training mode sucking, but I suppose that doesn't bother me as much, personally. I just like being able to apply what I learn in actual combat, anyways, even if its against the computer which isn't the same as a human opponent. The combat just feels satisfying to me. I don't really know how else to describe it other than I find the game to be fun to play.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-KenI can understand what you're saying about the training mode sucking, but I suppose that doesn't bother me as much, personally. I just like being able to apply what I learn in actual combat, anyways, even if its against the computer which isn't the same as a human opponent. The combat just feels satisfying to me. I don't really know how else to describe it other than I find the game to be fun to play.
Agreed. The combat is very satisfying, especially when you land stuff like this for the 1st time in an actual match.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, while I still largely suck at the game, I've gotten slightly less sucky at Garou: Mark of the Wolves. Just so much that I can now finally get through arcade mode without having to lower the difficulty setting (I've done it with both Rock and Terry). That said, I'm still not nearly good enough to get to the true final boss fight with Kain, and even just defeating all of the enemies up through  Grant gives me a lot of trouble as I do die at least a few times before I even make it to him (and that ass-hole just about doubled my death count alone when I played as Rock, though I did beat him on my first try with Terry). Now, while the challenging difficulty is keeping my interest in playing this game alive until I can get at least good enough to get the true ending for each character in Arcade mode, it still would be nice to have an actual human opponent to play against every now and then for a different perspective of the game. I feel that I'd actually do a better job of learning the deeper and more advanced mechanics of this game against human opponents, rather than having to deal with the AI which are somewhat cheap in how they are programmed with lightning quick reactions and whatnot that probably wouldn't be possible for any human player to duplicate.

As for GMOW, I also got King of Fighters '98, which I've only played a little bit of, so far. Despite being another SNK fighter, it was really jarring for me how different this game felt from GMOW. I don't know quite what it is, but the timing of pulling off attacks and combos just feels completely different, as do the overall mechanics of the game. Granted that, yeah, aside from Terry, these are all different characters, but even so the general feel of the game is completely different and something that'll take a lot of time for me to adjust to. The graphics and animations also aren't nearly as smooth, but it is an older game than GMOW, so that makes sense. I'll probably be juggling between this game, GMOW, and SSF4 whenever I get short bits of time to play. I'm a bit too busy to invest time into other games right now, but fighting games are perfect for me to get that "quick fix" I need in my brief bouts of spare time. I doubt that I'll get good at any of them, even if I only focused on just one, if only because I don't have the proper time to invest in practicing them (and don't have any actual human opponents to play against), but overall I have fun just playing these kinds of games whether I'm winning or losing (some frustratingly cheap CPU-controlled characters aside).

Grave

Guilty Gear Xrd

Arc System works is putting in work with a new BlazBlue, and now a new Guilty Gear (long overdue if you ask me) and I'm excited for this game. I still have Blazblue here, but I never got around to playing it, but Guilty Gear is a game I'd be willing to put Street Fighter aside for. I was never good at Guilty Gear, but it's a game that I always wanted to learn how to play, unfortunately no one else really plays the game though so I never bothered to play it. I do hope they use the same netcode that they used for Persona 4 Arena.

gunswordfist

I assumed GG was completely dead after BlazBlue came out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

I'm a bit iffy on the art style and character models. I liked the heavy metal feel that the previous artstyle had, and this seems  to lack that. And Ky just looks goofy with a ponytail.

On the other hand, the gameplay looks as good as ever, and the 2.5 D models looks better than SFIV's. The music's sounding good too (but that's a given), that's exactly the kind of vocal song I'd expect Guilty Gear to have if it had an anime intro.

Grave

I just watched the trailer again, and at this point I'm like screw the Capcom fighters (I know I'll get over this). I'm gonna start trying to learn this game ASAP.

Spark Of Spirit

That was pretty impressive.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton