Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Maybe Type-Moon distribution rights are hard to get in the west, or something.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 21, 2013, 12:38:06 PM
I'm surprised that Melty Blood still hasn't been licensed yet and distributed online (via PSN, XBLA, Steam, etc.) given that game's reputation and strong following from Western fighting game fans. I would think something like that would've happened years ago.
That reminds me, which fighting games have the best story?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 21, 2013, 11:58:56 PM
I'm surprised that Melty Blood still hasn't been licensed yet and distributed online (via PSN, XBLA, Steam, etc.) given that game's reputation and strong following from Western fighting game fans. I would think something like that would've happened years ago.
Street Fighter 1

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 21, 2013, 11:58:56 PM

BlazBlue, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, and King of Fighters have the "best" stories...however, most of them require reading the backstory and playing the next game to really understand what the hell is going on. And out of the ones I listed, only BB and MK9 have story modes with any depth to them.

However, I will say that BB, GG, and MK have very interesting lores and characters, which is enough for me. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Only the first 2 Soul Calibur games have good stories going for them, and even then, they are completely text-based.

Mortal Kombat 9 is the only fighting game that I've played that has a very well-made, comprehensive story mode (told through actual cut-scenes), which is easily the best thing about the game. I'm not a fan of the actual combat, though, which is why the game itself just doesn't do much for me (I've never really been a fan of the MK games, though). I'm also not really a fan of blood and gore in fighting games. I mean, it doesn't gross me out or anything, but it just doesn't appeal to me that much.

Spark Of Spirit

Soul Blade has a good story mode too.

The series was of quite good quality before they started milking it dry.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Grave

I know I've said it a few times, but I'm curious about other answers. Of the ones you've played, who're some of your favorite characters? And for those who have chosen their main characters how did you come to that choice? Was it an aesthetic thing or character loyalty? Or is it something else?

As for me, I haven't really found my main character, at least not for Super Street Fighter 4. I've been constantly going back and forth between Guy, Ken, Evil Ryu, Oni, Cody, Yun, Yang, Ibuki, Cammy, Rose and now Gouken, Ryu and Dudley have been added to the foray as well.

Street Fighter 3rd Strike I've pretty much made up my mind with Ken and Dudley, although, I'm tempted to add Ryu and Yang, although, I feel I'd have to definitely make the transition from controller to stick since everything is very tight.

Guilty Gear XX AC+ is even more set in stone since I've decided to stick with Johnny, and make my back up be either Sol Badguy or Order Sol

Street Fighter X Tekken, being a team based game gives me a wider option of characters to choose from, and at the moment I'm settling for Jin, Ken, Hwoarang and Kazuya. For the most part, Jin and Ken both have suits as alternate costumes, and I want to make a team with them in their suit, not to mention Jin and Hwoarang are my favorite characters in fighting games (along with Guy). The animation for Kazuya's hits just look like they hurt (he hits like a grown man) and the sound effects really played a big role in that as well. Partial aesthetics (who I think looks or is cool) mixed with character loyalty and a bit of who feels natural for me when it comes to this game.

As for my favorites; Guy, Jin, Hwoarang, Sol Badguy, K' and Kyo

Spark Of Spirit

I'm usually one to play as the balanced characters, so I'm pretty predictable. Ryu, Terry, Mitsurugi... I think my only exceptions are Guy, Human Smoke (I hate the cyborg one), and Kirby in Smash Bros (who isn't usually very fast) who aren't the typical balanced type.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I usually gravitate to the balanced rushdown, and "ninja" characters. The former because they are the least overwhelming, and the latter two because I like the emphasis on attacking and putting pressure on your opponent. As for series specific mains: Nightmare for Soul Calibur, Sol Badguy for Guilty Gear, Ragna, Makoto, and Valkenhayn for BlazBlue, Jon Taliban for Darkstalkers, Valentine for Skullgirls, and Iori and K' for King of Fighters.

Spark Of Spirit

Jon Talbain! He's also the guy I use in Darkstalkers, no other character feels quite right to use for me.

Rynnec

Same. Though I've tried dabbling with Jedah and B.B Hood (mostly because I like the concepts of their characters), neither seem to suit my general playstyle. Shame he hasn't appeared in a Vs. game yet.

Spark Of Spirit

He was almost in TvC, I believe. That would have been a good fit.

I was fairly decent with B.B. Hood in MvC2, but I think they changed her play-style in that one, because I couldn't transfer it over to Darkstalkers at all.

Rynnec

Not seeing him on the list of cut characters. He really should be in if they make a sequel though, along with the rest of the characters that didn't make it into Ultimate All-Stars.

Spark Of Spirit

It might have been MvC3, but I recall someone saying that if there was another Darkstalkers character included in the game it would have been Jon Talbain.

If they ever get on another Vs. game, then I would hope he make it in.

Rynnec

Capcom finally put in DS characters who aren't Morrigan and Felicia in Project X Zone (though Jon still wasn't included), so hopefully this means good things for Jon.