Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Either way, they need to bring him back. He's totally fun to use.

Quote from: Rynnec on August 27, 2013, 10:57:02 PM
Capcom finally put in DS characters who aren't Morrigan and Felicia in Project X Zone (though Jon still wasn't included), so hopefully this means good things for Jon.
Oh thanks for reminding me! I still haven't gotten to that one.

(No Klonoa, Mega Man, or Sonic is kind of a letdown, however)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

No Klonoa is especially puzzling since he was in Namco X Capcom. And Sonic not being in is just plain dissapointing, but PXZ feels like it wasn't created with international fanbases in mind, which is probably why we got Sakura Wars characters, while Sonic characters were left in the dust. At least X, Zero, and Vile are in the game.

Spark Of Spirit

The game very much looks like a lot of fun, so it doesn't bother me all that much, but it just would have been nice. It's not like there's a crossover game yet with a perfect roster, anyhow.

Brawl comes close.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

I'd definitely recommend it. It's a bit on the repetitive side, but not enough to be tedious. It really has a fun, arcade-y feeling to it.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

gunswordfist

Grave

Some crossover RPG with Capcom, Namco Bandai and Sega (I think) characters on the 3DS. That's about all I know about it.

gunswordfist

For a few weeks I've been learning Yun. I lose as much as ever but the almosts made me stick with him. I took some advance from an online friend early this morning and put it in effect in matches and in training. I was so happy when I did Yun's Ultra and then did his forward jump punch special attack to finish some guy like my friend said. I also got two of the very first SF4 Double KOs against said friend. Beyond that, I drilled combos in training and today I think was the first time I did ranked matches. I may have did some when I first play Super.Iono. I am about to go play some right now.

Grave

I haven't played Street Fighter in about a month (maybe closer to 2 months), but you may want to stay clear of Ranked and stick with Endless because it can get easy to play for points instead of playing to learn and have fun. Besides, you run into rage quitters far more in Ranked than Endless.

gunswordfist

I'll keep that in mind. I should try to play Endless with my friend more often.

Grave

Gonna get back into the groove of playing SSF4, and yet again I'm switching characters. Gonna go with Ryu, Yun, and Evil Ryu. With Ryu being the easiest to play in the game (although hard to master) I figured I'd start with him, and gradually work my way up to Yun (intermediate) and eventually get to Evil Ryu (advance).

I'm still watching high level Ken and Yang players as well although at this point I have no intention to go back to using them at this point.

Grave

I don't know if people here are gonna get Ultra SF4, but some changes were announced yesterday, but I got a chance to see the video today and I have to say that the red focus nearly got me hyped for a bit just because I wasn't expecting a multi-hit focusable technique thingy. The double ultra is ok, but I'm more into doing a lot of damage so I'm not sure if I'll be using that or not, but that red focus is so good.

Just a nagging thing been in my head for the past couple of days. Since everyone seems to like to rate games, I'd figure I'd rate the fighting games that I've played or watched. For the most part I know watching is completely different from playing and truthfully shouldn't even count, but considering I need to be excited about a fighting game I have to watch it first.

SSF4: AE2012 (8/10) - Considering this is my favorite game at the moment one would think I'd give it a 9 or 10, but I'm not blind to the fact that the game has flaws, and the flaws aren't necessarily a big issue to me. My issue only lies with the balance. For the most part a lot of the characters can be strong, but I guess my thing is some characters are brain dead easy to use while others you have to actually put in work. Take Yang and Cammy for instance. Cammy is top tier and I don't really practice with her, but when I played against my brother-in-law and used her all I really needed to know was either Cr. lp > Cr. lp > Cr. mp > Cannon Spiral or Cr. Hp > Cr. Mk > Cannon Spiral. Both of those combos rack up high damage and stun pretty quick whereas Yang, not only are his combo's hard to do, but they do little damage, so you have to work hard to do less damage where the only payoff is looking like you're styling on your opponent (good thing I like learning how to style). I want all characters to be brain dead easy to use or I want to put in work for all characters.

SF3: 3rd Strike (9/10) - Not only is this game entertaining to watch but it's fun to play. I'm not fond of characters like Q, Oro, Urien, Hugo, Sean, and Twelve. Hell it took SSF4 to get me into Yun, Yang, Makoto, Dudley, and Ibuki, so you can see I wasn't feeling the game back when it 1st came out, not to mention at that time I was still into the Alpha series. But getting into it now, and seeing that almost everyone is viable, this is a game I'd be willing to go to tournaments for. Not to mention Ken probably being the character everyone uses, but you still have to put in the work because the links are so damn tight to hit. Yun (and Chun Li) being the best in the game is said to be the hardest in the game to learn. Tier wise, this is another good way of going about it. Make characters that're so strong be hard to use and make the weaker ones brain dead.

GG: XXAC+ (10/10) - If there's one game that deserves a 10 it's definitely this one. I feel ASW found that perfect balance of characters. Sure you have your top tier, but at the same time you have to put in work with all of the characters. And then you have the perfect amount of characters as well. Anywhere between 24-26 characters is a great amount because then you could really focus on 1 character w/o the thought of a secondary character(s) creeping up. Don't get me wrong, all characters in every game have a bad matchup, but here you can't just counterpick with a top tier character and expect to win.

UMvC3 (6/10) - This game was fun at one point, but every time I played against my brother-in-law I got more frustrated. I don't think you should ever be rewarded with mashing, especially when it comes to playing defense. This game is unforgiving to begin with, but on top of that you to worry about characters like Magneto, Ryu, etc that can chain Cr. lights together and that's straight up bullshit. This game is basically telling me "why block when all I gotta do is mash Cr.L". That's not a good game. Roster wise, it's got Dante and Vergil so I'm good, but the bad part is my favorite character is Vergil and well, Vergil is seeing too much shine right now.

SFxT (8/10) - Ignoring all the DLC garbage, I won't lie, the Tekken characters make this game good. The SF cast, you might as well say you're playing SF4 again. That being said, I like the idea of giving characters charge cancel moves instead of the FADC stuff. From what I've seen of it, Pandora is useless, but the tag team is great. I've seen some sick setups through teaming up with another player.

I've only played a little bit of Persona 4 Arena, and haven't played or watched much of Blazblue so I don't think I'll rate them at the moment. I do plan to get into Blazblue though, but P4A I don't really see myself getting into at all.

I don't play or watch Injustice, MK, Skullgirls, or Smash Brothers. I'll get back to KoF13. That game is hype, but I haven't played any of it though.

gunswordfist

The fighting games I want (in no order):
Soul Calibur 4
Blazblue
Guilty Gear
The 2 2d KOFs for 360
Garou MOTW
Fatal Fury Special
Capcom Vs. SNK 2

Grave

I also want Capcom vs SNK2. It's too bad that Capcom dropped the ball with the latest release on that one. They know good and well that they could've/should've gave it the 3rd Strike treatment. Talk about making money, a lot of people were waiting for that game and Capcom blew it.