Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Since Double Helix was acquired by Amazon last month, Microsoft had to hand over the reins of Killer Instinct to another developer (although DH will finish the leftover season one content).

Now it's in the hands of Iron Galaxy.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 27, 2013, 04:13:40 PM
The fighting games I want (in no order):
Soul Calibur 4
Blazblue
Guilty Gear
The 2 2d KOFs for 360
Garou MOTW
Fatal Fury Special
Capcom Vs. SNK 2
Also add Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Samurai Shodown II and V to my list. I also want to play all the best KOFs.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

Quote from: Daikun on March 28, 2014, 06:56:21 PM
Since Double Helix was acquired by Amazon last month, Microsoft had to hand over the reins of Killer Instinct to another developer (although DH will finish the leftover season one content).

Now it's in the hands of Iron Galaxy.

Hmm... Not exactly sure how I feel about that. While I haven't played it, I don't care much for Dive Kick (it does nothing to keep me interested), but at the same time they seem to be one of the rarer companies that is competent with handling netcode.

Edit: Also wondering if IG will be doing anymore online patches for the older games (3S). Was hoping to CvSNK2 Online Edition someday.

King Hippo

I love Marvel vs Capcom 2.

It's a stupid, stupid game. But i love it. I'm grateful that I got it on PSN while it was still available.

gunswordfist

Ok, I finally got around to googling what was SNK's first fighting game and I read that the creator of the original Street Fighter made Fatal Fury. I did not expect that at all.
Edit: Geese kills Andy and Terry's stepfather - Terry goes on to be Rock Howard's stepfather. There's no way that irony was not on purpose.I like reading about little things like that.

gunswordfist

Oh whoa. I'm reading about how Dan from Street Fighter was made. These little known fighting game facts are interesting.

gunswordfist

I didn't even know Ultra Street Fighter IV was out. It came out in April, didn't it? :D I haven't been paying attention. Anyway, has any tried it? :)

Foggle

Quote from: Tomonobu Itagaki @ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1555482918049154&set=a.1387409044856543.1073741830.100007623816758&type=1

The ACCUSATION:

This is a CRIME against the entire world.
IT'S TOTALLY A DISCRIMINATION BY COLOR.

Who on earth is she?
Who the hell forced our beloved Lisa to change her skin color?

Again.
IT'S TOTALLY A DISCRIMINATION BY COLOR.
God I love Itagaki. :il_hahaha:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There's also this choice remark from him:

QuoteMorons who don't know the entertainment always bring fatal disaster.
That's why I hate moron developers.

:lol:

Foggle

And here he is implying that Team Ninja Dog is incompetent. :lol:

QuoteGames like DOA-Dimensions, DOA5, and NG3RE would have seen much better success and proper development by its creator/master. Seeing how a creator/developer of any company/studio creates many beloved IP's and their success is at their highest point, then somehow, other developers think they can handle developing those amazing IP's causes the whole downward spiral of their success. That sorta stuff really pisses many of us gamers/fans off.
QuoteKevin, yes and no. 'cuz if as you say, they are not short of money. then...

gunswordfist

I hate that most of Street Fighter IV's stages sucked. Street Fighter stages used to be famous for being extensions of characters' personalities. In IV they seemed to just pick random locations and called it a day. Here's hoping V does not do that...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Meh, unless they actually make the stages interactive like in DOA games, I quite frankly don't give a shit. They all feel static and boring to me.

I do like how IV's mechanics improve upon the previous games, though.

gunswordfist

I don't like DOA's interactive stages or the series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like how it actually tries new things rather than just playing it safe like almost every other fighting game ever. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's the perfect casual fighting game in my eyes, and I like how (with the exception of DOA4) the interactivity is under the control of the player, such as purposely knocking someone off a building in a strategic way, for extra damage, and it looks cool (as a martial arts fighting game should).

There's a reason that the popularity of fighting games in general had declined in the West for a while in the mid-2000's, and that's because many people had gotten burned out on the formula. People say that every 2D fighting game, whether great or not, has been just a spin on the SF2 formula since its release, which is true, but also goes to show how much the genre has lacked in innovation outside of technical mechanics.

My point being that I appreciate how the environments actually have a purpose in DOA. Whether you like the games or not, you can't deny that. In most other fighting games, they are just useless backdrops, so I really couldn't care less what they look like.

And I find the Street Fighter example to be trivial because nobody is paying attention to the background in the middle of a fight, anyways. I love how SFIV at least nailed a great combat system over just trying to copy character stages from previous games.

gunswordfist

I would have preferred if they just put Street Fighter II's stages in 3D instead of what we got. I forgot to say that. Interactive stages are just pointless distractions to me.