Fighting Games

Started by Rosalinas Spare Wand, July 06, 2011, 11:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 14, 2015, 08:56:06 PM
I love 2 and Mortal Kombat. 1 and 3 are alright. I liked 4 when it was out but I'm sure it has aged horribly. This part hasn't though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85B-L5O3wU0

Which one do you mean? 9? I'm not sure why they didn't number that one.

I like 1, and I love 2. 3 wasn't so good but the remake of it, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, rendered the original 3 obsolete and brought it up to par with its predecessors. I played a little bit of 4 but lost touch with the series.

Foggle

The only thing I know about Mortal Kombat is that the new game has microtransactions and a patch that makes it harder to get in-game unlocks as a way to convince players to purchase said microtransactions.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 14, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
The only thing I know about Mortal Kombat is that the new game has microtransactions and a patch that makes it harder to get in-game unlocks as a way to convince players to purchase said microtransactions.
It also has like none of the classic characters.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 14, 2015, 09:05:47 PM
What gsf said.
:thumbup:
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 14, 2015, 08:56:06 PM
I love 2 and Mortal Kombat. 1 and 3 are alright. I liked 4 when it was out but I'm sure it has aged horribly. This part hasn't though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85B-L5O3wU0

Which one do you mean? 9? I'm not sure why they didn't number that one.

I like 1, and I love 2. 3 wasn't so good but the remake of it, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, rendered the original 3 obsolete and brought it up to par with its predecessors. I played a little bit of 4 but lost touch with the series.
I guess they didn't number it because they thought of it as a series revival..honestly, it was. What's weirder is they consider it the 9th entry instead of the 8th. I guess they are counting Mortal Kombat Vs. DC for some reason.

I never paid attention to the differences in 3 and Ultimate because I mostly only played one version. I forget which, lol

I thought MK 1 was alright but not that good whenever I played it years and years ago. I can't remember when.

I also played a little bit of Deadly Alliance and Deception. Those games were alright but I remember liking them less than I did MK4 at the time I played that game. I'm sure they are much better than that though. I was a bit hyped (not super hyped though) for MK 4 and was a bit "...eh", about DA and Deception, so that had a bit to do with it. I think I played MK Vs. DC like twice. I wish I played that more with my brother and I have like no memory of the game now. lol I've never played Armageddon.
Quote from: Foggle on April 14, 2015, 09:19:29 PM
:unimpressed:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

If the version of 3 you played has most of the classic characters from the first two games, like Scorpion, then it's UMK3. For some reason, in the original MK3, they thought it was a good idea to ditch them in favor of new, lesser characters.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 14, 2015, 09:46:04 PM
If the version of 3 you played has most of the classic characters from the first two games, like Scorpion, then it's UMK3. For some reason, in the original MK3, they thought it was a good idea to ditch them in favor of new, lesser characters.
And they're doing it again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I wouldn't mind if they did it right. I'll have to play it to find out myself.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, they kind of have to shake it up after the end of the last game, but the roster in that game was so good (literally every good Mortal Kombat character was in that and playable) that this game is already at a disadvantage out of the gate.

Figures. I finally get Human Smoke canon and playable and they kill him off.

gunswordfist

:D

It looked like they have most of the top characters there from what I've seen.

Rynnec

Really disappointed MKX got rid of the Cyborg's, but the Predator almost makes up for that. What I can't figure out is why they ditched Noob Saibot. Well, at least Erron Black looks cool.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love the story-line and mythos of MK games in general. It puts more effort into that aspect than most other fighting games do, and does it well.

The actual combat, though....it's just not my thing, really.

Foggle

I don't mean to sound like a wimp, but I always feel a bit ill when I see the x-rays and fatalities in MK9. I've enjoyed what little I've played of the older games, but the more graphic gore is just too much for me to handle in the recent ones. And I say that as someone who worships the 360 version of Ninja Gaiden 2. :sweat:

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on April 15, 2015, 01:21:12 AM
I don't mean to sound like a wimp, but I always feel a bit ill when I see the x-rays and fatalities in MK9. I've enjoyed what little I've played of the older games, but the more graphic gore is just too much for me to handle in the recent ones. And I say that as someone who worships the 360 version of Ninja Gaiden 2. :sweat:

Don't worry, even I wince whenever I see MK9's X-Rays or Fatalities, and I play games like Brutal Doom and Madworld for catharsis. That being said, I still want to play MK9 and X, since the gameplay looks good and the AI is apparently manageable. Seriously, the Klassic games AI were absolute bullshit. Do not play the Klassic arcade modes if you value your sanity.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

NG2's violence was purposely more "cartoony" (for lack of a better word), in that it was simplistic and not made to look the least bit realistic. Mortal Kombat 9 has far more detail in its gore, and while it doesn't bother me, personally, I can see how it would rub others the wrong way.