What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Surprised SMC is in the mediocre pile. Most reactions I've seen to it have been very positive, and I myself enjoyed it immensely. I wish Dragon Ball Super looked and was as well animated as that. But it was pretty disappointing to see TSE turn out so badly. I have no clue why they are trying to stretch it out for a whole year when it barely has enough material for even two cours, but that's Pierrot for you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The only one of the great/excellent category (out of the ones that I've seen) that I'm not really feeling is Bungo Stray Dogs. I think it's alright, but I'm not really getting all of the hype surrounding it so far.

I've only seen an episode of Sakamoto, but I should probably check out more. From what I've seen, I'm not sure if it's my brand of humor, but it could win me over. I've always been a bit fickle in the comedy department, though. I couldn't get into Konosuba last season, even though almost everyone loved it.

Avaitor

I'm 12 episodes into U&T, and I really am digging it so far. I was into the show before, even with it being a little tropey, but I'm really getting into everything it has to offer.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that it wisely starts out basic enough in order to give the characters room to breathe and let you get to know them as the viewer. As it continues, though, it only manages to become more and more engaging with how well these seemingly unrelated characters that Ushio and Tora meet along their way start to come together to work against Hakumen no Mono.

Spark Of Spirit

You're at the Touno two-parter. Those are awesome episodes. Things are about to get even more wild soon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

So he saw Tora on the bus scene? Him swinging around the bus and then saying, "Alright, I'm ready to get off this thing" in 5 seconds was probably the funniest part of the series for me
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, season 2 of Food Wars! just had its premiere, and it cut out a lot of stuff between the end of the first phase of the Autumn Elections and Soma's match with Alice.

Personally, I'm actually really cool with that. I've complained before about how padded and drawn out the arc could feel in the manga with so much time spent on exposition in the pre-match set-up portions. I honestly think that at the very least, it was a wise way to hook viewers back in by cutting out some of the excess baggage (which would have easily made for an uneventful first episode or two), and getting into the meat of things (no pun intended). In fact, I really had a problem with how essentially the last four or five episodes of the first season spent way too much time on the judges trying each and every single dish (even for characters who didn't matter), followed by long explanations on how they made each of their dishes. It got really boring, and felt especially redundant in anime form.

They also kind of have to move the story along at the pace which they are going at now if they want to make it through the rest of the Autumn Elections arc in just thirteen episodes.

gunswordfist

Looks like I am already going to drop Berserk, especially since they whitewashed Caska.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

The first episode of Food Wars Season 2 was very good.  Based on the previews, the anime should be adapting up through the end of the Stagiaire Arc.  With 13 episodes, they'll need to adapt roughly 4 chapters an episode which should be doable.

I also checked out The Disastrous Life of Saiki anime.  It looks the episodes are initially being released as 5-minute segments from Sunday through Thursday, and then being compiled into full episodes on the following Sunday.  While I did enjoy today's 5-minute short, it feels as though they just took the full ep and cut it up (it just abruptly ends in the middle of a scene).  I'll probably wait until the full episode comes out to watch more of it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm now 38 episodes into Yakitate!! Japan. This is legitimately one of the funniest anime that I've ever seen. I know that it's a competition manga, but somewhere along the way it just got more and more over-the-top to the point of absurdity, and that's right up my alley.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: VLordGTZ on July 04, 2016, 12:08:41 AMWhile I did enjoy today's 5-minute short, it feels as though they just took the full ep and cut it up (it just abruptly ends in the middle of a scene).  I'll probably wait until the full episode comes out to watch more of it.
This is going to sound dumb, but I actually prefer it that way. I'd rather watch a longer episode than four 5 minute shorts glued together into one long patchwork.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 03, 2016, 03:51:21 PM
So, season 2 of Food Wars! just had its premiere, and it cut out a lot of stuff between the end of the first phase of the Autumn Elections and Soma's match with Alice.

Personally, I'm actually really cool with that. I've complained before about how padded and drawn out the arc could feel in the manga with so much time spent on exposition in the pre-match set-up portions. I honestly think that at the very least, it was a wise way to hook viewers back in by cutting out some of the excess baggage (which would have easily made for an uneventful first episode or two), and getting into the meat of things (no pun intended). In fact, I really had a problem with how essentially the last four of five episodes of the first season spent way too much time on the judges trying each and every single dish (even for characters who didn't matter), followed by long explanations on how they made each of their dishes. It got really boring, and felt especially redundant in anime form.

They also kind of have to move the story along at the pace which they are going at now if they want to make it through the rest of the Autumn Elections arc in just thirteen episodes.
These are my thoughts on the premiere as well.

The first season was pretty well done, but it had faults. The first couple of episodes added a lot of ecchi stuff not in the original. Food Wars can have cheesecake with its ridiculousness and hot-blooded shonen vibe, but the ecchi didn't fit at all. The other problem was the pacing was awkward. Some episodes had a really good flow, but then there were moments at the end of the season that felt really padded.

This episode had none of those problems. I'm actually really impressed with this episode. It feels like they really addressed the problems people had with the first season and applied them here.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This episode- 5:43

"Plus, thanks to me, the ratings for this episode will be three times higher than usual!"

God I love this show. :D

Pharass

I've finally gotten around to watch some of the older titles that have been sitting on my ever-growing to-watch list for what feels like forever now. I recently finished Haibane Renmei, which I thought was just a great show all-around. Perfect if you're in the mood for something low-key and atmospheric. To be honest, my only complaint about this show is that there wasn't more episodes.

I've also started Welcome to the N.H.K.. Only two episodes in at the moment, but so far, I'm enjoying it. The main character is very well-portrayed with his anxieties and delusions (though it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the whole conspiracy was an actual thing in this series). That the show is genuinely funny is also to its advantage.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Wow.

I just finished U&T, and I'm awestruck. The final battle against Hakuman no Mono was a thing of beauty, and was perfectly expanded, just as the closure for the cast was everything you could ask for. It's official- Ushio and Tora is right up there among my favorite anime. Even if Toonami doesn't get it, I need to own this show.

Next up? I'm going to finish pink jacket! I only have 3 episodes left, so why not? I'll watch the episodes from Lum's round tomorrow, and might also watch The Gold of Babylon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/