Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on March 27, 2012, 02:43:35 PM
I really like older 30 Rock, but they're killing it with all these creepy ships- Liz and Jack don't belong together, as much as the writers want us to think they do, and that may not even happen anymore because Jack is falling for his wife's mom while she's held under hostage in North Korea.
Sitcoms are "smarter" now, huh?  ;)

The Office won't end because there's money to be made. That's IMO the #1 problem with US shows, they never just pack it in when they're clearly out of gas.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I was just watching the E! True Hollywood Story of That 70s Show and geez do the people behind it (THS, that is) pointlessly seem to dog Topher Grace for everything bad that happened.

His co-stars liked to party and he preferred a private life, yet they try to paint it like he didn't like them. He wanted to move on to more than just teen fare, and they go on like he's jealous of Ashton Kutcher's popularity. He left the show, and they try to paint it like it's his fault the show fell apart because he left.

But besides that they talk WAY too much about the scandals and escapades of Ashton, Wilmer, and Danny, and not enough about the actual show. Tommy Chong seems to get mentioned more than any of the actual permanent cast-members.

I guess I was hoping for too much, but it was disappointing either way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Like I stated before, I can't even watch T7S anymore without wanting to punch Fez in the nuts.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Isn't Wilmer supposed to be on some cop show over on NBC now? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be mistaken.

Avaitor

Yeah, plus he's Handy Mandy on Disney Channel.

In case you don't know, the reason I hate Wilmer is Demi related. I won't say anymore.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

For a second I was thinking of Demi Moore but then I remembered.

Angus

I remember Wilmer on Yo Momma and yeah Handy Manny, which was alright for a little kids show.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

So what sitcoms do you guys not like? I mean besides obvious stuff like Full House are there any sitcoms you just can't watch because they just flip the wrong switches for you, an actor grates on your nerves, or the story just isn't funny at all?

For me that would be the two following sitcoms, Dharma & Greg and Will & Grace.

Dharma & Greg was just painfully unfunny. People rag on Full House for being sappy (and it is), but Dharma & Greg is one of the worst sitcoms ever to me for failing to EVER make me laugh even once in an episode during it's entire overlong run. The premise is hackneyed enough as it is, but nothing original is done from writing to plot to characters, and there isn't even any charm or charisma to make up for that. I have never met anyone who liked it when it was on and I have yet to meet anyone who remembers it now.

Will & Grace... You guys remember Ellen? Ellen DeGeneres' first show in the 90s? The one where she came out? That was funny. You know why it was funny? Because it didn't constantly beat you over the head with lame gay jokes about how something is "kooky" because it was gay. However, do you know why Ellen ended? Because the last season was pretty much about nothing but gay jokes to the point where even Gay Rights people thought it was embarrassing and the show was canceled for low ratings. Will & Grace is one big unfunny gay joke just like that terrible season. It offers nothing else to the viewer, all it is every single episode is gay stereotypes making poor jokes that are only "funny" because being gay is like so "kooky"! It's a total waste of time and is another show I have never heard anyone say anything positive about. How this lasted so long is a total mystery to me.

Foggle

Big Bang Theory, King Of Queens, and Roseanne all make me profusely vomit blood upon the mere mentioning of their names. Are those obvious choices? Oh well.

Spark Of Spirit

The first two definitely are (I hate sitcoms that are formulaic to the point where every episode is essentially the same thing), but what is it you dislike about Roseanne? A lot of people really seem to dig that one, though I go back and forth on.

Dr. Insomniac

Besides all kidcoms, I'm more apathetic towards any sitcoms that I don't like than annoyed. And that's honestly any American traditional sitcom in the last few years not named HIMYM.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 01:48:25 PM
but what is it you dislike about Roseanne? A lot of people really seem to dig that one, though I go back and forth on.
Mostly just the character herself. My mom used to watch it a lot and that woman's voice/dialogue made me want to tear my hair out. Granted, I've never really sat down and given it a fair shake.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 01:48:25 PM
The first two definitely are (I hate sitcoms that are formulaic to the point where every episode is essentially the same thing)
I figured as much. BBT is quite honestly my most hated non-reality show currently airing. Typical scene:
"Hey Sheldon, what are you doing?"
"Only using the worst operating system ever... Windows 7!"
*audience begins laughing hysterically*
"But Sheldon! I thought you liked Windows 7!"
"More than Vista... but that's not really an accomplishment!"
*laughter begins breaking sound barrier*
"I mean, really, I miss the old Minesweeper. This new one is too colorful and stuff."
*several audience members die from laughing so hard that they began having seizures*

Spark Of Spirit

Not to mention that he's really the most unlikable character on TV.

But then I could say that about ANY Chuck Lorre show. The man has a rotten sense of humor.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 02:03:22 PM
But then I could say that about ANY Chuck Lorre show. The man has a rotten sense of humor.
Yet has the inert ability to get the highest audience numbers. He's like that lame kid at school who tells shit jokes, but everybody likes for some reason.

Foggle

Chuck Lorre's writing credits according to imdb:

My Two Dads
Roseanne
Dharma & Greg
Two and a Half Men
The Big Bang Theory

My god. This man is like the antichrist of comedy.