Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Interesting requirement for those Disney Channel shows. Is there a lower age limit though, like 8? Warner Brothers studio in Burbank has a minimum age requirement (8 or 9, I forget) for their studio tour.

Home Improvement was quite formula but it did have the Super Dave like stunt of the week.

It'd have been awesome to be in the studio audience for Married with Children, SNL, or Tonight Show in its prime, but I guess there's always pro wrestling.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

Home Improvement had a formula, but it had a lot of variety to it. It had family humor, workplace humor, guy humor, smart humor, and slapstick. I know some people like to dog it because it was a family sitcom, but it really is a lot of fun to watch. I wonder how the studio audience dealt with the crazy stunts?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Home Improvement did kinda get a little weird towards the end (the kids became a lot more grating as they got older, and I don't really like what they did Mark's character, in particular), but it was still a pretty solid show all the way through. If you want a family sitcom done right, look no further.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 04, 2012, 11:11:54 AM
Speaking of Chuck Lorre, have you guys seen Mike & Molly? It's fucking awful, and exactly what it looks like- nothing but fat jokes. I still can't believe that Melissa McCarthy won an Emmy for being a bland glutten over Amy Poehler.

Wow. Don't even get me started.

I really can't believe this is what's actually credited as launching Melissa McCarthy's career. She's such an unlikeable bitch in this show, I just can't imagine why anyone would look at this character she plays, and say to themselves "wow, she's great!". And as far as the show itself goes, as a whole, I don't think I've ever laughed less at a sitcom than I did here (well, maybe Big Bang Theory).

You know, I have to say it again; it annoys me so much that CBS is the #1 network on TV. I mean, other than HIMYM (and Person of Interest is decent, as far as procedurals go,), everything, EVERYTHING else on this channel is unwatchable. It just goes to show what awful taste people have sometimes.

Angus

Tried watching BBT last week and it was as funny as a Disney/Nick kidcom. The funny parts were where they were doing regular comedy and not "shop".
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

You know, I never saw this quote from the Glee creator:

QuoteThis feud started after Kings of Leon declined to allow the Fox series "Glee" to cover one of its songs on a future episode.

"Glee" creator Ryan Murphy was pissed and sent a message to the band via The Hollywood Reporter: "F**K you, Kings of Leon," he said.

"They're self-centered a**holes, and they missed the big picture. They missed that a 7-year-old kid can see someone close to their age singing a Kings of Leon song, which will maybe make them want to join a glee club or pick up a musical instrument. It's like, OK, hate on arts education. You can make fun of Glee all you want, but at its heart, what we really do is turn kids on to music."
Ego much?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

I wouldn't want the Glee cast covering any of my songs, either. :lol:

Kiddington

Still hard for me to believe that the same guys responsible for Glee -- the same guys -- also had a hand in American Horror Story. I mean, AHS is weird, but at least it's entertaining.

...and speaking of Glee, I see that was just renewed for a 4th season recently. Honestly, why? Do people actually still care about this show?

Foggle

It was really popular with the hipsters in high school. Probably still is.

Spark Of Spirit

It's the irony of popular songs sung by a glee choir. Hipsters love irony.

Basically it's a one trick pony.

Dr. Insomniac

I thought people liked Glee because it told the basic underdog story you always hear in high school movies, at least for the first season.

Spark Of Spirit

Probably. I wouldn't even care if it didn't rely on songs that were badly pro-tooled versions of songs that other people wrote to keep it afloat and make money.

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 12, 2012, 01:47:33 AM
I thought people liked Glee because it told the basic underdog story you always hear in high school movies, at least for the first season.

I could probably buy that if pretty much every main character wasn't an unlikeable douche.

The premise of the show really isn't for me anyway, and there are a lot of things other than the songs I don't like, but I think the cast might be what cinches it. The people that you're supposed to be "rooting for" as the underdogs are just as nasty as anyone. It defeats the whole purpose of a feelgood story when the underdogs are nothing but a bunch of backstabbing, catty shrews themselves.

Avaitor

I don't even care about how Glee plunders music from other artists. At this point, it pisses me off just by the simple fact that it is by far the most consistently poorly written show on TV, yet it's still popular.

This is the show where the stereotypical bullies become far better developed than the lead "good guys", where one character can become pregnant, go punk, fall in love with her best friend and get in a serious car crash all in the course of 3 years but act like nothing has changed at all in her life, where the fat girl has an orgasmic moment singing "Losing My Religion" to her fucking sandwich, has what was supposed to be a PSA episode that ends up saying that it's fun to see underage teens get drunk... need I go on?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Yeah, the show is absolutely ridiculous (in a bad way). I really hate how offensively stereotypical the LGBT characters are, too. This show should be embarrassing for anyone to watch, and yet it's loved by many. :-\

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Avaitor on April 12, 2012, 09:15:38 AM
I don't even care about how Glee rapes music from other artists. At this point, it pisses me off just by the simple fact that it is by far the most consistently poorly written show on TV, yet it's still popular.

This is the show where the stereotypical bullies become far better developed than the lead "good guys", where one character can become pregnant, go punk, fall in love with her best friend and get in a serious car crash all in the course of 3 years but act like nothing has changed at all in her life, where the fat girl has an orgasmic moment singing "Losing My Religion" to her fucking sandwich, has what was supposed to be a PSA episode that ends up saying that it's fun to see underage teens get drunk... need I go on?

You fucking nailed it right there.

I watched the season premiere this week and ended up zoning out through most of it because of how it just dived directly into complacentville. They left it on the cliffhanger of Quinn getting into a car crash and something about how she's the third wheel in the main relationship on the show, and then immediately came back with her singing a song that was about being stuck in a wheelchair now. So fucking retarded.

Oh yeah, and they're trying another pregnancy storyline, this time with Jane Lynch's character. I don't even need to watch to know where this is going.