Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I don't even view NBC as a competent network anymore. Other than Community, what's there to watch?

Kiddington

I take it you don't like Parks and Rec?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Kiddington on May 08, 2012, 05:03:52 PM
Tried, didn't find it that funny.

Spark Of Spirit

The last thing I remembered enjoying on the network was Frasier.

We're a long way from Frasier.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 08, 2012, 05:04:42 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on May 08, 2012, 05:03:52 PM
Tried, didn't find it that funny.
Did you give up after the first season? The second is when the show gets good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Angus

Parks & Rec is pretty much the only show I watch on NBC besides morning news/The Today Show, although my better half tries out more shows like Grimm and Up All Night, sometimes Leno.

Hmm, celebration of geek culture? Would that be Freaks and Geeks? Beat the Geeks?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

So NBC is apparently cancelling Community, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock, all in one fell swoop. But not The Office.

I have nothing. No words. Just... no words.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on May 09, 2012, 10:39:24 PM
So NBC is apparently cancelling Community, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock, all in one fell swoop. But not The Office.

:huh:

REALLY? That's insane!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 09, 2012, 10:49:00 PM

:huh:

REALLY? That's insane!

According to this, it is indeed the case.

In a way, I can kinda see where NBC is coming from on this (even though I'm still extremely pissed at them). All three shows have, historically, never pulled in great numbers, and they felt it was time for a change. Okay, I get that.

What I don't get is, why was The Office able to withstand the brunt of the impact? If you're going to clean house, go ahead and clean house; don't leave stray garbage left behind. It's pulling in series low numbers (the ratings this year are even worse than Season 1, which was only a 5-episode mid-season replacement that nobody cared about at all), and the show isn't even running on fumes anymore; it's just terrible at this point. If anything needed to go, this was it. It's a tired, exhausted series that doesn't have anything left to offer, and yet it was the only one out of that entire Thursday night lineup that survived.

Between this and the possibility of a second season of Whitney, NBC is so dead to me.

Avaitor

Ugh.

Well, at least they're getting one more season, and 30 Rock isn't news. But still.

I'm really going to miss Parks and Rec the most. Sorry Insommy, but it's better than Community.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

The FUCK. I mean, I won't miss 30 Rock at all, but those other two... WHY NBC WHY :cry:

Kiddington

Quote from: Brak's Dad on May 10, 2012, 01:13:54 AM

Ugh.

Well, at least they're getting one more season, and 30 Rock isn't news. But still.

I'm really going to miss Parks and Rec the most. Sorry Insommy, but it's better than Community.

Yeah I know, but I figured I might as well mention it anyway (not that I'm really too broken up over that one, though; as you know, I've never liked 30 Rock).

The other two, though, those hurt. Both shows still have a lot left in the tank, unlike a certain aforementioned series that will be coming back, and to see them both get axed like this, so short into their runs... it's really a shame. I know the ratings weren't great, but come on, the stuff they're bringing back is doing just as bad! I mean, seriously; what gives?

...and speaking of which, if they really do go so far as bringing Whitney back, after all this, I am not touching this network ever again. Last place for a reason. Idiots.

Avaitor

Well Community isn't too surprising. It has no right to be on the 8 PM timeslot, especially when something as competable as Big Bang Theory is airing there. And while the show has a sizeable enough fanbase that catches it on Hulu or elsewhere online, the majority of which just doesn't watch it on TV. The major shot in the foot though came from the beginning of the season, when it got rather depressing and drab. It picked up before being replaced midseason by 30 Rock, but it was too late for it.

Parks though, I thought could have been saved as long as it remained to be the critical darling that it is. I mean, 30 Rock isn't the second coming of Friends in the ratings itself but it's stayed on for so long due to its multiple Emmy wins and love affair in the press, and while P&R hasn't been as lucky during Emmy time, it's earned far more love than 30 Rock ever did with critics. I guess that still isn't enough, though.

New blog!

Angus

So people would rather watch The Voice? Ugh.
At least the P&R stars are getting movie deals.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Goldstar

Well, I actually enjoyed 30 Rock's 1st 2 or 3 seasons, but now, yeah, it's time for it to go.

I can't comment on The Office because honestly, I've never seen it. I just assumed that The Office would die a quick death without Steve Carrell.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!