Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sonic 3D Blast isn't true 3D graphics and gameplay, IMO, which is why I didn't mention it, but I suppose you could count that as well.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 14, 2013, 04:50:08 PM
If you want to be technical, they really weren't the first 3D Sonic games. Sonic R and The Fighters came out before them. They were, however, the first main series Sonic games to be in full 3D graphics.

I was thinking of the main games, which seem to be Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, CD, Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, 2006, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and 4.

Quote from: Foggle on November 14, 2013, 04:53:19 PM
Don't forget Sonic 3D Blast and Sega Sonic! Or forget them. It's probably best to.

Sega Sonic?

Rynnec

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

The problem with the first two Sonic Adventure games is that they are better technically than every 3D Sonic game until Colors came out. Less camera issues, tighter controls, less bad gameplay gimmicks, less bad level design, better soundtracks, and more bold ideas. For a start, they're solid. The problem is that they never built off their mistakes and kept going in the wrong direction until they hit Sonic 06 which has every problem of every 3D Sonic game in one neat package.

I think the games would be higher regarded if there was something more modern in the style that was executed well. As it is, they have the limits of late-90s 3D games and some people can't get by that.

For the record, I think the 3D parkour of Lost World should be the standard Sonic controls going forward. If they went back to Adventure era controls, I would be so disappointed. All the 3D levels in Lost World are what I want more of in the future.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on November 14, 2013, 06:13:59 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on November 14, 2013, 05:54:02 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 14, 2013, 05:46:28 PM
Sega Sonic?

The Arcade game with Mighty and Ray.
Do not ever try to play it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HVBukuyrik

This looks like a quality game.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 14, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
For the record, I think the 3D parkour of Lost World should be the standard Sonic controls going forward. If they went back to Adventure era controls, I would be so disappointed. All the 3D levels in Lost World are what I want more of in the future.

I heard Lost World actually wasn't very good.

Spark Of Spirit

Your mileage may vary. But the parkour is by far the best thing about the game, so are the tightness of the controls and the spindash.

The only fault is that some levels just aren't designed all too well, but it's still leagues better than most 3D Sonic games. Every proper 3D level is actually really good. It's the gimmicky ones that are take it or leave it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Meant to respond to this sooner.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 14, 2013, 06:29:29 PM
The problem with the first two Sonic Adventure games is that they are better technically than every 3D Sonic game until Colors came out. 

From a technical standpoint, how are the Adventure games better, would you say?

Spark Of Spirit

Other than level design that has options, controls that function how they should, and no glitchy physics that will kill you randomly, I would say until Colors came around that they forgot how to make competent video games.

Their only problem now, in my opinion, is just focusing on a game of pure 3D Sonic levels. If Lost World was just the 3D levels (some 2D sections are fine) then it would be the best 3D Sonic game. The gimmick levels are fairly unneeded, and the 2D segments should be saved for 2D Sonic games instead. Otherwise, Lost World has no gaming breaking glitches, no controls that don't work, and has level designs with many paths.

Just give me a pure 3D Sonic game and it will be the best one. They're on the right track with Lost World.

Kiddington

So would guys recommend Lost World? The reviews I'm seeing seem extremely tepid by comparison to Generations and Colors.

I'll be getting a Wii U for Christmas (Wind Waker bundle of course), but other than 3D World and maybe NSMBU I'm a little stuck on what to get. Like, is it at least as good as Colors?

Foggle

Get The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. I can certify that they are both excellent.

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Kiddington on November 20, 2013, 12:22:20 AM
So would guys recommend Lost World? The reviews I'm seeing seem extremely tepid by comparison to Generations and Colors.

I'll be getting a Wii U for Christmas (Wind Waker bundle of course), but other than 3D World and maybe NSMBU I'm a little stuck on what to get. Like, is it at least as good as Colors?

I say just check it out. From what I've seen, half the people love it and half the people hate it. You won't find a solid, all-around answer on this one.  :lol:

Just don't touch the putrid 3DS version. Ever.

talonmalon333

I was recently chatting about this with my brother. But what do you guys think of the storylines in the Sonic Adventure games (I don't know why I've been asking so many questions about them recently, I haven't even played them in nearly probably a decade and really have no desire to)? And with this question, try to separate the story from the voice acting and dialogue (neither of which hold up even remotely).

From what I remember, SA1's storyline was kind of overdone and forced. Too much mumbo jumbo about Knuckles' past tribe, Perfect Chaos absorbing the negative energy of the emeralds, Sonic purifying his heart with the positive energy of the emeralds, flashbacks, and other stuff. I also didn't like how they took the awesome Angel Island from S3&K (like how massive it was and how there were so many different lands deep within its tropical surface) and stripped it down to a piece of rock surrounded by grass. I know they had to cut it down for gameplay purposes, but I still don't like what they did with it, and figure there maybe could've been another way. Plus, S3&K always hinted at the existence of an ancient tribe that lived on Angel Island (ruins in the Marble Garden Zone, and Sandopolis Zone, etc.), and that was really cool. But did we really need to see this tribe?

As for SA2's story, it still had forced elements. But for the most part, I think it worked adequately and was easier to follow than SA1's. I legitimately liked Shadow in this game and thought it was a well done ending when he died (I also have long held the opinion that SA2 was once intended to be the ending of the Sonic franchise), and I was honestly bothered by the fact that they brought him back in Sonic Heroes. Not to mention, they brought him back in the cheapest way possible, and show no surprise by other characters at seeing him still alive. I mean, for a game with as little story as Sonic Heroes, they sure did ask a lot of questions. And of course, we see the results of how they decided to answer those questions when they made Shadow the Hedgehog. That game totally screwed up the plot of SA2 and made no sense

Nel_Annette

Angel Island wasn't just that tiny little floating emerald part. It also consisted of Red Mountain and Ice Cap. That whole wall on the mystic ruins was just one side of the thing.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on November 20, 2013, 09:45:05 PM
Angel Island wasn't just that tiny little floating emerald part. It also consisted of Red Mountain and Ice Cap. That whole wall on the mystic ruins was just one side of the thing.

I thought I remembered a cutscene of Knuckles on the island while it is floating, and the only thing you see is that small chunk of rock in the air?