Batman Beyond

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 13, 2011, 06:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

The TNBA episode with Mr Freeze in it was pretty disappointing. They kind of turned him from a vengeful broken heart to an unlikable asshat. It ruined the ending of SubZero, IMO.

His Beyond episode was better, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on September 16, 2012, 01:11:11 AM
The TNBA episode with Mr Freeze in it was pretty disappointing. They kind of turned him from a vengeful broken heart to an unlikable asshat. It ruined the ending of SubZero, IMO.

I can't completely remember, but was that the episode where he started destroying priceless items and other stuff because he wanted other people to suffer the way that he did for his lost wife? Because, in all honesty, I really liked that episode. I'd say I enjoyed it more than the movie for sure (which I said made for a decent 2 or 3-parter, but nothing more than that, really).

QuoteHis Beyond episode was better, though.

I loved how Beyond handled him. It made sense from a continuity standpoint and they still managed to make you feel a ton of sympathy for this guy despite transitioning back into a bad guy yet again. They also did the smart thing of killing him off in this episode (yeah, you never actually see him die, but since he never returns in the series, I'm just going to assume that he did), so that way no writers could bring him back yet again and run him into the ground. The scene where he blocked Terry from coming to his aide (which inadvertently saved Terry's life since he would have been caught in the destruction of the crumbling building had he taken the time to save Freeze), because there was nobody who really cared about Freeze and nobody left in the world who he cared about, was suitably tragic, IMO.

gunswordfist

And I loved what Bruce had to say about Mr. Freeze before and after that incident. I watched that episode again about a year ago and before that, I haven't seen it since I was a kid so I got to really appreciate it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Batman films:

MOTP: Excellent, one of the best superhero movies ever
Sub Zero: Pretty good, on par with most of the better episodes of the TV show
MOTB: Decent, better than the worst episodes of the show but around average
ROTJ: Excellent, almost on par with MOTP to me

In my opinion, they're all worth watching at least once.

Oh yeah, and the final appearance of Mr. Freeze in BB in the DCAU is a classic episode.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Unless Sub Zero has anything to say about it, I would've preferred if Mr. Freeze's last appearance was the episode of BTAS when he was in that block of ice with his wife.

When they brought him back for the New Adventures, it started getting lame. And it only got worse when he turned into a head with spider legs. That was just absurd.

Avaitor

You didn't like his Beyond episode?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on September 17, 2012, 12:47:24 PM

I did. I'm just not sure if it completely made up for his lackluster appearance in the New Adventures.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 17, 2012, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on September 17, 2012, 12:47:24 PM

I did. I'm just not sure if it completely made up for his lackluster appearance in the New Adventures.
Well, it returned him to his original portrayal of a lonely man who is robbed of whatever break he's close to having.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 17, 2012, 12:40:37 PM
Unless Sub Zero has anything to say about it, I would've preferred if Mr. Freeze's last appearance was the episode of BTAS when he was in that block of ice with his wife.
The ending of Sub Zero is way better than that ending, IMO. I think that would have been the best place to take him out of the series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Not sure if this is really the right place to post this. But since we were talking about it here earlier, I'll just do it. Any of the admins can move this post if they want... But anyway, I got around to seeing Mystery of the Batwoman. My opinion: it was alright.

It was far from remarkable, but for what it is, I enjoyed it. Don't think I'll ever go back to it, but it was worth a single watch.

And was Kevin Conroy sick when he voiced Batman for that movie? He sounded off. :P

gunswordfist

Yeah, MotB is that "Not bad but nothing remarkable" film.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

How the hell did we miss this?

QuoteIn other DC Nation news, The World's Finest has exclusively learned that Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke are set to reunite on an upcoming Batman Beyond DC Nation animated short. While we can not currently confirm if the short will be a single-installment or the start of a series, we can confirm it is set to debut in 2014 during the 75th anniversary celebration for Batman. Cooke will take the design and storyboard lead on the short.

Avaitor

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Neat! Though I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet. It'll probably only be about as long as other DC Nation shorts, a 1-2 minutes long kind of thing. It'd be nice if it was a series of shorts though.

LumRanmaYasha

Remember this?

Quote from: Daikun on February 23, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
QuoteIn other DC Nation news, The World's Finest has exclusively learned that Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke are set to reunite on an upcoming Batman Beyond DC Nation animated short. While we can not currently confirm if the short will be a single-installment or the start of a series, we can confirm it is set to debut in 2014 during the 75th anniversary celebration for Batman. Cooke will take the design and storyboard lead on the short.

Well, the Batman Beyond short is out!  :)

I love how many versions of Batman they reference at the end.