What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I watched PriPara last night and realized I have reached the point of no return.

LumRanmaYasha

I've watched a few episodes of the Doraemon dub. Name changes and a few (but not frequent) edits aside, it's pretty well-done and hopefully the series can find an audience here. Of course, Disney XD is only airing it twice a day, 12:30pm and 12:30am, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

LumRanmaYasha

Finished Planetes. Overall, I quite enjoyed it, though I do think I like the manga a bit more. One of the things I liked about the anime, though, was how it was a fairly loose adaption with it's own unique storyline, which makes experiencing both the anime and manga great experiences in different ways. I think that some characters like Tanabe and Hakim were better characterized in the anime, while the original characters like Claire and Chiang-Shin were welcome additions too.

Now to figure out whether to finally finish Ippo or start Utena...

LumRanmaYasha

So, I just saw the character designs for the Parasyte anime...

Why the fuck do the characters look completely different? I mean, jesus, Shinichi looks nothing like how he is in the manga. The only character who looks much the same to me is Gotoh, though I guess Reiko looks decent as well. This reeks of modernizing it to appeal to modern otaku sensibilities, and I'm kind of wary about that. The character designs of the manga might be too 90's for modern fans, but I thought this series was getting an anime and a movie after all these years because of it's enduring popularity or whatever, so I'm confused on why they are changing what doesn't need to be changed, here. Still, this is an anime adaption of fucking PARASYTE, so I'm still hopeful it turns out well, especially with Madhouse working on it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

LumRanmaYasha

Huh, Zatch Bell! is on Hulu now. I've already got the dvd set, but it's nice that it's gotten legal streaming again. I do wish they had the subs available, though.

Eddy

I'm currently watching Nichijou and it's hilarious. Completely mindless but insanely entertaining.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Peanutbutter

Currently rewatching Outlaw Star. Not only does it hold up just fine, it's even more fun this time around seeing it uncut. I'm up to the hot springs episode, by the way.  .3.

gunswordfist

I wanted to reach that episode. I got up to the underwater ship episode, I believe.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Crunchyroll will be streaming all of Cardcaptor Sakura starting from next tuesday at 9pm.

I've never seen the show, myself, so I'll probably be checking this out. I wonder if it'll hold my interest for me to finish it in a short while, or I'll end up putting it off for a long time, like certain other shows I started a while ago...

LumRanmaYasha

Just finished watching the first season of Jormungand. Super fun action series, and the dub was a blast. I'll try and check out Perfect Order soon as I can (hopefully dubbed as well).

Dr. Insomniac

In this week's Mahouka, Tatsuya massacres an entire ship of illegal immigrants for daring to live in Japan. But that's okay, because all of the on-screen immigrants are gun-toting Chinese bastards who came from the darkest corner of Chinatown. Also, Tatsuya just walks off from getting shot in the chest by a sniper, and manages to reverse-trace the shot to kill the sniper.

LumRanmaYasha

Why are you still watching Mahouka???

In any case, I started watching Utena and finished the first third of it. So far, story-wise, it's been disappointingly straightforward, but still entertaining stuff. I guess it becomes more nuanced/complex like NGE did the further on in the show.

Eddy

I started watching Death Note (I know, I'm super late). I must like it because I only started two days ago and I'm already on episode 17. The way the episodes end have me going "Well, shit, I need to see what happens next!"

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Death Note was my very first ever manga, so it's a really special series for me, which I have a lot of bias for. Most people feel that it goes way downhill with the last 12 episodes (or the second half of the manga), but while I agree that the first portion of the series is better, I still think that the rest of it is mostly pretty entertaining if you don't get all nit-picky about it. It's a fun series that is, for the most part, pretty well paced. Most series or this type would get all pretentious and up their own ass, but I'm glad to say that this series was always self-aware of what it was, and doesn't try to go the philosophical route. Light is flat-out acknowledged as a villain, and the series just roles with it and shows all of the most insane situations that he can get himself in and out of.

I also love the dub for this series, and I say that as someone who read the manga first and then watched the sub before finally seeing the dub.

The same is actually true for Black Lagoon, though in that case I watched the anime first (subbed), then read the manga, and them finally saw the dub.