What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Wondering how many episodes of Super Sentai and Metal Heroes Imaishi watched to get into the groove for this.

Avaitor

I really should get around to the MHA premiere. It seems like my kind of thing.

Funi has a pretty big sale going on right now. While a lot of it isn't too special, when you consider that they'd cost the same as they do on Amazon Prime when shipping is factored in, I'm fighting the urge to buy Fujiko Mine.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on April 04, 2016, 08:19:18 PMI really should get around to the MHA premiere. It seems like my kind of thing.

Funi has a pretty big sale going on right now. While a lot of it isn't too special, when you consider that they'd cost the same as they do on Amazon Prime when shipping is factored in, I'm fighting the urge to buy Fujiko Mine.

I'll just warn you that you may not necessarily be sold on MHA based on the first episode alone. While it's good stuff, it only covers about half of the first chapter (due to the first chapter having quite a lot of content packed into it), and I believe that episode two should be even better because the latter half of the chapter really does a great job of summing up who Midoriya truly is as a protagonist, whereas just watching the first episode may make him seem more whiny than he really is. Also, while the early arcs are fairly standard stuff in terms of basic set-up and follow pretty common shonen tropes (though, I think it all works thanks to great execution by Horikoshi), just keep in mind that the series only gets better over time and ends up doing a great job of developing its characters along with cleverly avoiding the infuriatingly bad cliches that tend to ruin other stories of this nature.

And yes, please watch Fujiko Mine. If you're holding out on in in order to first finish up the Red Jacket series as well as some of the 90's Lupin entries, then just rest assured that Fujiko Mine is a stand-alone series that doesn't expect you to be familiar with any previous Lupin-lore in order to enjoy it on its own merits. Actually, the great thing about this franchise in general is its mostly episodic nature. You can almost start anywhere and still follow it easily.

Avaitor

I'll keep that in mind about MHA. I can give a premiere plenty of leeway, since it's rare for a series to get it down right away, but the concept interests me enough to at least want to check it out.

And I'm definitely getting to Fujiko Mine, even though it'll take a while. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend part of my entertainment budget on that, this hella-looking set, or just blow my budget on the Bond set, which is only $80 on Amazon and at WalMart.

Cause damn.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

VLordGTZ

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is the best Lupin series, imo.  Blue Jacket/Part IV is a very close second for me, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor: Yeah, with a shonen series like this I tend to love good world-building and capitalizing on interesting concepts, even if that takes place later on down the line due to having to set-up for it first. I think that this series does a good job of making its early arcs entertaining, while delivering on the promise of more interesting story-lines later on down the line when it has finished establishing all of the basics of its world and characters.

Spark Of Spirit

You should give Ushio & Tora a watch sometime, Avaitor. I'm pretty sure you'd dig it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2016, 10:11:54 PM
You should give Ushio & Tora a watch sometime, Avaitor. I'm pretty sure you'd dig it.
That's also on the list, and I should hopefully catch up to it before the second season wraps up!

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, Ushio and Tora is excellent. I'm surprised that I never heard about it before this anime came out. It's just my style of 90's shonen action, and quite frankly as a fan of a lot of series from that decade, this series kind of blows a lot of ones that I like out of the water in how good it is at telling a compelling story and creating an interesting mythology and lore, yet at the same time manages to perfectly balance all of its more serious elements with fun comedy.

Once this anime wraps up, I'm definitely going to try and read the manga, as well as any other works by the author if they have been translated.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 04, 2016, 10:20:17 PMOnce this anime wraps up, I'm definitely going to try and read the manga, as well as any other works by the author if they have been translated.
The Ushio & Tora manga has been translated, as has about half of Karakuri Circus. Nothing else has been touched, unfortunately. Well, his two volume Black Museum seinen work is being brought over here via Kodansha, but nothing else of his has ever been touched for NA release.

I'm kind of surprised that back in the anime/manga boom of the late 90s/early 00s, nobody brought any of his stuff here. It's exactly the type of series that would have carved out a good fanbase all on its own, especially since many series inspired by it (Flame of Recca, InuYasha, Zatch Bell, Project ARMS, Kekkaishi) actually were brought over here and did surprisingly well.

Really hoping for the anime to get a successful Toonami run for someone like Viz to really give his catalog a shot over here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not to mention that this would've been perfect for Toonami back in its prime if U&T had actually gotten an anime back when it was still at the height of its popularity in the 90's.

gunswordfist

Ushio & Tora inspired Inuyasha? That makes so much freaking sense..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on April 04, 2016, 11:05:47 PM
Not to mention that this would've been perfect for Toonami back in its prime if U&T had actually gotten an anime back when it was still at the height of its popularity in the 90's.
Actually it did, but it was an OVA.

gunswordfist

I heard that My Hero Academia is only being simulcasted through Hulu and not CR, so for once I have an advantage with my current setup and just finished the first episode. The animation was pretty good and the voice acting was great. You of course can't help but root for Izuku even if you do spend a lot of time laughing at him. I also suspect that this show will have a lot of emphasis on superhero team work (don't tell me).
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody