What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Angus on June 25, 2012, 01:43:41 PM
Well, they are the company that did Tenchi Muyo and all their retellings around the same time.
Yeah but the thing about El-Hazard is it clearly wasn't intended to be anything more than a one off, which probably explains why most of the creative staff declined to be involved with the later series to any serious degree.

Foggle

So I finished watching Fate/Zero. No review for season 2. Sorry guys, I just don't have the time.

But I will say that it was fucking amazing and everybody should give it a look. Episode 24 was mind-blowing. The final fight scene did not disappoint (best animation I've ever seen in a TV anime, easily) and I'm a complete sucker for the kind of surrealism they tossed in during the latter half. Loved it.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on July 02, 2012, 01:27:14 PM
So I finished watching Fate/Zero. No review for season 2. Sorry guys, I just don't have the time.

But I will say that it was fucking amazing and everybody should give it a look. Episode 24 was mind-blowing. The final fight scene did not disappoint (best animation I've ever seen in a TV anime, easily) and I'm a complete sucker for the kind of surrealism they tossed in during the latter half. Loved it.

Having finished F/Z as well, I completely agree with you. The only things I would change would be making episode 24 double-length (there was also a distressing lack of EMIYA in that fight scene), hopefully the Blu-Ray's will do the job.

Unfortunately, it seems Aniplex has no plans to bring the series over to the US. Which is a damn shame, because if there's any anime from the recent years that deserves to air on TV and get a shot at mainstream popularity, it's Fate/Zero.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on July 02, 2012, 01:47:42 PM
Having finished F/Z as well, I completely agree with you. The only things I would change would be making episode 24 double-length (there was also a distressing lack of EMIYA in that fight scene), hopefully the Blu-Ray's will do the job.
Oh fuck you're right, WHY DIDN'T THEY PLAY EMIYA DURING THAT SCENE!!?!? Also, hoping for longer Saber vs. Berserker fight on the BD. My body will never be ready.

QuoteUnfortunately, it seems Aniplex has no plans to bring the series over to the US.
You mean for less than $380. :sly:

QuoteWhich is a damn shame, because if there's any anime from the recent years that deserves to air on TV and get a shot at mainstream popularity, it's Fate/Zero.
Amen. Dare I say the best action anime since FMP TSR. I don't know why they aren't bringing it over, either; Type-Moon has tons of fanboys all over the world. I really really really really really really really really really really hope ufotable does an adaptation of UBW and/or Heaven's Feel and/or Hollow Ataraxia sometime in the future (fuck the Fate route tbh). I need more of their awesome animation in my life.

On a similar note, I'm reading Tsukihime right now, and I think it's at least 10x better than F/SN. The story and main characters are far more engaging and the writing is a lot more refined and less draggy (which is ironic, since this is the older of the two). Maybe Fate just didn't have the greatest translation. If that's the case, then I feel really bad about insulting Nasu's writing in the blog. I'll have to do a followup to that once I finish this.

Angus

Unfortunately they can't even get Fate/stay night out of licensing limbo, making it as rare as Higurashi, although Sentai did manage to put out Unlimited Blade Works a few weeks ago.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I tried the first few episodes of Fate/Stay Night about a year ago. For whatever reason I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I'll try it again and then go to Fate/Zero if its really supposed to be that good, though.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 02, 2012, 02:40:02 PM
I tried the first few episodes of Fate/Stay Night about a year ago. For whatever reason I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I'll try it again and then go to Fate/Zero if its really supposed to be that good, though.

Watching the FSN anime isn't really required to enjoy Fate/Zero (though, it helps if you know at least the basics of FSN). In fact, watching FSN will probably leave newcomers even more confused when they get to F/Z, as there are tons of plot points in the latter that don't get brought up in the formers anime adaptation.

Foggle

The F/SN anime is awful and the UBW movie is even worse. You'll be fine just watching Fate/Zero. The first episode explains everything you need to know about the universe, really.

It does have quite a few spoilers for F/SN, but I don't really think you'd like the visual novel much, so I wouldn't let it bother you.

Avaitor

I saw F/SN a couple of years ago and didn't really like it at all.

Is Zero that much better? If so, I'll totes check that out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on July 02, 2012, 04:10:57 PM
I saw F/SN a couple of years ago and didn't really like it at all.

Is Zero that much better? If so, I'll totes check that out.
Zero is better than F/SN in general and the F/SN anime is a bad adaptation in general. The F/Z anime is miles above it and perhaps even one of my all time favorites. Also, Zero is extremely different from its precursor. Maybe check out my season 1 review (again?). ;) http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=279

It does get a bit slow occasionally (the first few episodes especially aren't all that exciting), but it's very intense and interesting for the most part.

Angus

Hmm, I've heard the opposite, but that's good to know you can watch F/Z without having all the F/SN background.  :thumbup:
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Rynnec

QuoteI really really really really really really really really really really hope ufotable does an adaptation of UBW and/or Heaven's Feel and/or Hollow Ataraxia sometime in the future (fuck the Fate route tbh). I need more of their awesome animation in my life.

Have you seen ufotable's Kara no Kyoukai adaptation? They're a series of (usually short) films, so their animation is absolutely gorgeous. The plot is rather hard to follow, and it requires you to watch all 7 films in order to get a sense of what's going on (I myself have only seen the first 3 films), they're all available for rent on PSN.

Foggle

Quote from: Rynnec on July 03, 2012, 01:41:21 AM
Have you seen ufotable's Kara no Kyoukai adaptation? They're a series of (usually short) films, so their animation is absolutely gorgeous. The plot is rather hard to follow, and it requires you to watch all 7 films in order to get a sense of what's going on (I myself have only seen the first 3 films), they're all available for rent on PSN.
Love 'em. You gotta' watch the rest! Didn't even realize those movies were Nasuverse until my friend told me last year, haha. Gonna' check out the Blu-Ray rips pretty soon for that sexy picture quality I no doubt missed on the first viewing.

Rynnec

Apparently it takes place in a alternate Nasuverse (according to Type-Moon's mythology, there can only be one person who posseses the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception), this was all confirmed in Melty Blood Actress Again (where Ryougi Shiki appears as a playable character).

I'll be sure to check out the remaining movies once I have enough PS points (between this, Jet Set Radio, Guilty Gear, and possibly Rival Schools coming out this year, I'll be needing a lot of PSN cards XD).

Avaitor

In between my NGE rewatch, I'm finally watching Cardcaptor Sakura. I watched the Nelvana dub back when it was on Kids WB and Toonami, but that isn't really the same thing. It's not bad. In fact, I think it's funny that Sakura acts more mature than Bunny/Serena, even though she's younger.

I'm surprised that it didn't catch on more when it was on though. I mean, it was popular stateside, but it wasn't a DBZ or Sailor Moon-level hit. Considering the different abilities of the Clow cards, Kero's adorableness, and Sakura's constant outfit changes, you would've thought that this had the potential to be a marketing goldmine for girls.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/