What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It didn't catch on because that horrendous dub was its mainstream representation. It's the same reason One Piece was crippled over here as well.

CCS is way better than OP though, IMO.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I haven't seen more than a few episodes of CCS. Admittedly the few I did see were the dub, so I'm pretty sure that's what turned me off. That said I'm not sure if its the type of show that I'd really like even if seen as it was intended to be seen, but I may give it a chance one of these days.

As for OP, it was pretty much in its prime between Enies Lobby to the Marineford arc. Everything before that was mostly only OK (like the Arlong arc or Alabasta) or bland (like most of Skypiea) standard-shonen stuff, and everything since then has been downright boring, IMO. During its prime, though, it was one of the best shonen around. Too bad Oda feels like dragging his series through the mud just because its popular (well, I'm sure WSJ would pressure him to, anyways). I can actually believe that this series was only supposed to last for 5 years, because its clear that Oda is just forcing it to continue at this point.

Avaitor

CCS is okay, but like Sailor Moon, I can only watch so much of it in a specific amount of time. When I can think of something better to watch when I'm online, I'll drop it and come back to it later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I dropped Sailor Moon as well. Its one of those shows that I can only think fondly of in nostalgia. I tried watching the series in Japanese with subtitles and I just found myself getting bored. I actually do kind of enjoy the dub, but once again that's only from pure nostalgia.

Spark Of Spirit

I like the story episodes of Sailor Moon, the filler (MOTW stuff) varies greatly in quality to me, but the main story has always been enjoyable to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't tell if a lot of those beginning episodes were filler, but it sure felt that way to me. I mean, I know that the series is naturally repetitive, but I can't see a lot of those early episodes as being anything other than filler because it was just such lazy writing and using the same plot-lines for almost every episode.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
I can't tell if a lot of those beginning episodes were filler, but it sure felt that way to me. I mean, I know that the series is naturally repetitive, but I can't see a lot of those early episodes as being anything other than filler because it was just such lazy writing and using the same plot-lines for almost every episode.
They are. Sailor Moon is in more need of a 'Kai' treatment than even DBZ was. The actual story episodes are pretty good, IMO, and easily the best of the magical girl genre.

Problem is you have to wade through a lot of boring stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll look up a list of the canon episodes so that I can skip the filler. I'll try and give the show another shot, or if I still can't get into it I may just end up trying to read the manga instead.

You know, I find it kind of funny and ironic that not only is YYH the only shonen anime that I can think of that not only avoids filler episodes, but it even manages to cut out quite a bit of material from the manga while never slowing down its pace too much or feeling rushed at the opposite extreme. Seriously, YYH's anime treatment is like a freak thing. The only other long-running shonen series that might possibly break that trend is the currently airing HXH reboot, but even that is questionable since Togashi loves his hiatus-time and still seems far off from an ending. In that regard, though, it'd still take the current anime at least a couple of years to catch up to the manga.

In general, though, I notice that Togashi's work gets the most quality treatment when it comes to anime adaptations. I really wonder why that is. I mean, even the first HXH anime was pretty spot-on (it had filler, but it was pretty limited compared to most shonen anime).

Spark Of Spirit

Funny that you bring up the manga and YYH.

I think the SM anime (filler aside) made some really good story tweaks to the original. I think the very first arc was improved a lot by giving Nephrite a character, Zoisite and Kunzite a relationship, and basically making the story flow a bit better. The manga's pacing is a bit stranger and the bad guys a lot shallower.

But yeah the filler is an issue, and the biggest one. Even the American version skipped a ton of filler to get to the other characters, and it STILL has a filler problem.

But that's no guarantee you'll like either. Magical Girl is not the most welcoming genre to get into, and while I like some of them, most tend to put me off.

Rynnec

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 18, 2012, 07:49:53 PM
I'll look up a list of the canon episodes so that I can skip the filler. I'll try and give the show another shot, or if I still can't get into it I may just end up trying to read the manga instead.

You know, I find it kind of funny and ironic that not only is YYH the only shonen anime that I can think of that not only avoids filler episodes, but it even manages to cut out quite a bit of material from the manga while never slowing down its pace too much or feeling rushed at the opposite extreme. Seriously, YYH's anime treatment is like a freak thing. The only other long-running shonen series that might possibly break that trend is the currently airing HXH reboot, but even that is questionable since Togashi loves his hiatus-time and still seems far off from an ending. In that regard, though, it'd still take the current anime at least a couple of years to catch up to the manga.

In general, though, I notice that Togashi's work gets the most quality treatment when it comes to anime adaptations. I really wonder why that is. I mean, even the first HXH anime was pretty spot-on (it had filler, but it was pretty limited compared to most shonen anime).

Would you consider FMA a long-running shounen? Brotherhood had no filler episodes either.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on July 18, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
Would you consider FMA a long-running shounen? Brotherhood had no filler episodes either.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Brotherhood. It is long-running, but I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of the 100+ episode shonen series like YYH.

gunswordfist

Ah, speaking of Fullmetal, I finished Brotherhood during the two weeks I was (mostly) gone.

I didn't care for the final fight too much and it think it's ironic how what the brothers do at the end is similar to the first anime.

Speaking of the first anime, I thought it got better (much better) during it's 2nd half while Brotherhood peaks right before Fuhrer pulls the plug on Mustang's operation and separates all his mean, so I like the 2nd half of that show less. What else? I like Greed a whole lot less in Brotherhood. He seems out of place, so does all the generic anime characters. You know, all the people from Shing or whatever. The first series was great without them.

I also watched a lot of Berserk episodes until when freaked me out, then I just went to YYH.

I also watched a lot of Fist Of The Northstar (around 20, I guess)...until an end of an episode disgusting me and seemed like filler. Seriously, where did that tattoo come from out of nowhere? Completely random.

I also finished this show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZoVveJhwg

It's such a shame that season 2 took such a budget cut..and then they just stopped making episodes. I believe I watched about 20 episodes.

And I watched all of that in less than 2 weeks.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

You know, I think my problem with CCS and SM is that now that I'm older, I grow weary of monster of the week anime. I like the characters and what I recall of the stories enough to get behind them, but there's too much filler for me to sit through. Even with something like DBZ, a lot of the filler actually did contribute to the story, even if you could cut most of it out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on July 19, 2012, 05:00:52 PM
You know, I think my problem with CCS and SM is that now that I'm older, I grow weary of monster of the week anime. I like the characters and what I recall of the stories enough to get behind them, but there's too much filler for me to sit through. Even with something like DBZ, a lot of the filler actually did contribute to the story, even if you could cut most of it out.
Or maybe you need some Madoka to reinvigorate that interest in magical girls. :blush:

Avaitor

New blog!