What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

Finished up Sengoku Basara recently. Right now I'm too lazy to give a detailed review of the series, but I will say that it's a pretty good series for what it is. Wackiness set aside, the action is good if you're looking for that high-octane type of fight.

I just started watching Trigun again as well.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm rewatching my 12th favorite anime, the second Lupin the Third series, dubbed, on Hulu.

It's as awesome as ever.  ;D

Jay L. Corbell

Oh look, there's a forum on this corner of the internet, iddn'it?

Currently watching Robotics;Notes episode 15.
Someone needs to start watching it so I got someone to talk about it with ;_;

Grave

Just finished Trigun. It's been so long since I've watched this series. I will say that, while it still drew me in, it took a little longer to actually draw me into the series. I mean, sure, Wolfwood spiced things up just a little bit, but I wasn't really drawn in until Legato made his appearance, and, man, that appearance is still as great as ever. Don't get me wrong, Vash and Wolfwood are great characters, but Legato truly made this series shine imo, but then again I'm probably demented. Anyway, there are some episodes I could've done without. I forget which episode it was, but the episode that mainly focused on Milly and Meryl is one that I didn't care much for.

Not exactly sure what I'm going to watch next.

Rynnec

I just finished Trigun too. Enjoyed it a lot, and it definitely picks up during the second half (though I liked the comedic first 10 episodes too). Legato really is a good villain despite being somewhat 2-dimensional. Knives was rather dissapointing though, he could've been more fleshed out. I suppose the other Gung-Ho guns could've been more fleshed out too (especially Chapel and Mr. Saxophone), but I'm fine with them as is.

Also watched Badlands Rumble. It was enjoyable, nothing special, but enjoyable. JYB still has it as Vash, and the recasted VA's for Meryl, Milly, and Wolfwood sound close to their originals. If this movie eventually leads to more standalone Trigun films, or better yet, an adaptation of Trigun Maximum, then that'd be pretty cool.

Mr. Big

Recently I've been importing Pyun Pyun Maru DVDs from Japan.

A brief info: it's an anime made by Toei Animation back in 1967 that ran for 26 episodes. It was based on a manga by Jiro Tsunoda called Ninja Awate-maru, which literally translates to Confused Ninja.

Basically, Pyun Pyun Maru is a ninja kid working for a detective agency with his kid brother Chibi-Maru ("Chibi" meaning short, tiny). Their boss is an old guy who has a long beard that essentially acts as his second pair of arms. Seriously, it's weird.

The whole show is insane. It's full of Japanese puns, Tex Avery-ish visual gags, and jokes that are otherwise pure nonsense. In a way, I think this is Japan's equivalent of Jay Ward.

Here's the first episode of the show. Sorry, no English subtitles; everything's in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvwVrhnv4I

I said that they made 26 episodes of the show, but the network only aired 12 of them in 1967; it was yanked due to poor ratings. Now Japanese TV rarely do something this drastic, so something really went wrong; somebody speculates that the sense of humor was too insane for Japanese TV at the time and the sponsor forced the network to remove it.

Eventually, though, the remaining 14 episodes aired in early 1970, three years after they were made. After all the episodes aired, the network replaced the show with Japanese-dubbing of Wacky Races in its timeslot.

The Shadow Gentleman

Sometimes I feel like the only person who really liked both halves of Trigun.

Foggle

Quote from: Graywulf on February 10, 2013, 10:27:52 AM
Sometimes I feel like the only person who really liked both halves of Trigun.
I like both halves, but I love the second half. Not so fond of the movie, though.

Lord Dalek

RDG isn't bad but isn't necessarily good either.

Foggle

Rynnec

Lord Dalek

Vividred's ending was terrible but depressingly superior to Maoyu's (which just sorta...ended).

The Shadow Gentleman

Monster

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Also, is it necessary to watch any of the Legend of the Galactic Heroes movies, or can I just jump into the series proper?

Dr. Insomniac

It helps a bit, but it's not particularly necessary.

The Shadow Gentleman

Just blew through the first 8 episodes of Monster.

New third favorite anime acquired.