What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Perhaps I will watch HXH this summer as well. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright! ;D

Just be weary that the series starts out slow and is more like a typical shonen (though, much better written) until the York New City arc. Also, I like the 1999 anime a bit better in what it adapts, but it does make things even a bit slower (there are a few filler episodes that you can skip, though). Also, stay away from the dub at all costs. Its absolutely horrendous (and this is coming from a guy who usually prefers dubs).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And just for the sake of comparison, here are some direct, side-by-side comparisons of choice scenes in regard to the animation (without any voice-acting or actual audio from the series):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw8Io09FeL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOAzDr_alV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5uVoqafQWs

Personally, I prefer the darker art-style and more fluid animation of the 1999 series to the remake, but of course the remake has the advantage of less filler and actually goes past what the original anime was able to cover.

The Shadow Gentleman

One thing I like about Monster is that despite being about the greatest murderer of all time, it's not contently dark or feels the need to kill of characters all the time. At least so far.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2013, 11:55:08 AM
Watch them in this order:

1. Redline- Because its just a movie and will take you less than 2 hours to watch
2. Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine- Because it is the shortest of these series, at only 13 episodes
3. Hunter X Hunter (1999) + the first OVA (but ignore the Greed Island OVAs)
4. Hunter X Hunter (2011) from the Greed Island arc and onward
5. Hajime no Ippo- Because its pretty long, though HXH is longer as far as the anime goes, but HNI has the longest manga
6. Saint Seiya- Because its the longest of these series as far as the anime goes

That makes the most sense to me.

Oh yeah,  I still need to finish classic Saint Seiya. I'm on the Greece episode where Shiryu or whatever his name is is gets lent his master's weapons. Yea, I'm way behind so I'll watch HXH before catching up. Thanks for the list.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 11, 2013, 08:51:07 PM
One thing I like about Monster is that despite being about the greatest murderer of all time, it's not contently dark or feels the need to kill of characters all the time. At least so far.
It never gets too bleak or hopeless because thankfully Tenma is a great protagonist.

Also there's the good inspector to keep the story fresh.  ;D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 11, 2013, 09:15:38 PM
Oh yeah,  I still need to finish classic Saint Seiya. I'm on the Greece episode where Shiryu or whatever his name is is gets lent his master's weapons. Yea, I'm way behind so I'll watch HXH before catching up. Thanks for the list.

No problem. Though, now that I think about it, as far as HXH goes, while I love the original anime, I have to admit that its partly an acquired taste and a personal preference. You're probably better off just going with the 2011 anime altogether, mostly for the sake of consistency. I feel that watching the 1999 anime and then going to the 2011 anime after that would be way too jarring of a transition, especially since all of the voice actors are different in the 2011 version. Also, the 2011 version just has faster pacing, and there's a lot of stuff that I know you wouldn't care for in the Hunter Exams arc that the remake pretty much rushes by to get to the more interesting stuff. On top of that, you can watch the show for free, and legally at that, on Crunchy Roll (just use an actual computer to watch it instead of the app).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2013, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: ShadowGentleman on May 11, 2013, 08:51:07 PM
It never gets too bleak or hopeless because thankfully Tenma is a great protagonist.

Also there's the good inspector to keep the story fresh.  ;D

Yeah, the story can be very dark at times, but its never meant to come off as a gritty, depressing tale. When you really look at Monster, its honestly more of an up-lifiting series on the whole, exploring both the worst AND best that humanity has to offer (at least in regard to these characters). For every downright evil person you come across in the series (Roberto), you come across multiple more mixed characters who can certainly do wrong but also aren't beyond redemption. And then there are just great characters, who aren't perfect people but really show you the good that people can offer, like Kenzo Tenma, Anna Liebert (Nina Fortner), and Wolfgang Grimmer (AKA The best character that Naoki Urasawa has ever written....IMO....but you all know that its just the truth).

gunswordfist

Hell, Roberto's scenes are entertaining and borderline fun. There's nothing to worry about.

Dr. Insomniac

The Shadow Gentleman

Lord Dalek

So the Thaumatrio is currently going through the process of watching the original El-Hazard. So far its going well.   :D

The Shadow Gentleman

If you don't think Redline is awesome, then you are objectively wrong.

gunswordfist

Whoa, that's how the show looks?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its not a show. Its a movie. There's a difference.

TheEclecticDude

Well,

watched Girls und Panzer

watching Youre Under Arrest OVA and KO Beast OVA (bit by bit) on DVD

watching Vividred Operation now on Hulu