What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I decided to resume watching Magi, and it's definitely gotten a little better (I'm still in the middle of the Balbadd arc). It's still very much in the "good but far from great" side of things for me, but I can definitely see the potential or this series to become great later on down the line. I really am attracted to the themes of the relationships between kingdoms, politics, and corruption in this arc, but I think what holds it back for me is the characters, who aren't bad by any stretch, but none of them feel particularly memorable to me, which is rather disappointing since if the characters were as interesting as the plot, then this could easily have been a favorite series of mine. As it stands, it's just an entertaining watch, for now.

Quote from: Pharass on December 22, 2013, 04:36:44 PMI've also resumed watching Ashita no Joe, I put it on-hold for awhile since other shows more strongly demanded my attention, but recently I got in the mood of catching up on it. I'm glad I did, the story-arc I'm currently on (focusing on Rikiishi starving himself so that he and Joe end up in the same weight class) have been excellent, so far.

I'm only 5 episodes into the anime, but I find it interesting how it both differs from the manga in many respects yet still tells the same general story; as in, all of the major events remain the same, but the way events unfold and when certain characters are introduced can differ from the manga on more than just a few occasions. Overall, I still prefer the manga, but the anime is definitely worth watching even if you have read the manga because of its differences (and in some cases, they are actually improvements over the manga).

I can't wait to see what you have to say about the events that occur after the fight between Joe and Rikiishi takes place. It easily solidified this series as an instant classic for me.

LumRanmaYasha

Just looked it up, and Ashita no Nadja does seem like something I'd be interested in. I've been itching to read/watch another good shojo series lately, but I'd like to know more about this series first before I try it, especially since 50 episodes is a bit of a commitment for me these days. I'd be keen to hear your opinions on this one if you do write a review on it, Pharass.  :)

I watched about ten more episodes of Hajime no Ippo last tuesday, so I'm on episode 21 now. My time has been preoccupied in more pressing matters than television, and I've been more interested in comedies lately, so it took me quite a while to get into the mood to watch more HnI. I loved every episode, as I expected, but it's still something I have to get in the proper mood for and find time in order to watch, since I prefer watching it in bunches of episodes. I plan to finish the series before my break is done, but a little something called Breaking Bad has taken up most of my tv watching time recently, and there are other shows/movies I need to get through during this break as well, so I'll probably be getting back to and going through this series more slowly than I'd like, unfortunately.

Vlord showed me a few episodes of Psycho-Pass recently and now I'm itching to watch that show too. I really hate how many shows I have on my backlog... :srs: :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, Breaking Bad is way too addicting to the point that I actually ended up losing sleep over watching as many episodes as I could in a single day. I recently started watching the second half of season 5 (the final season), so I'll probably be done with the show in a few more days. It's as exciting as ever, and it really is a wonder how the writers of this show managed to keep it constantly engaging without the slightest hint of it ever slipping in quality. I can definitely see how this would take priority over any anime that you've been watching, recently. ;)

As for HnI, I think that episodes 30-50 are probably the weakest part of the anime (that's not to say that they are anywhere close to bad, of course), and the last third of the series is easily its pinnacle, for me. It's still the best sports "anime" that I have seen, by far, though Ashita no Joe has already taken the reign of being the absolute best in its genre as far as the manga goes.

gunswordfist

Started the 3rd season of Fist Of The Northstar on Sunday. So far it's pretty good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

Been a while since I've watched anything on CN. Checked out that Trigun movie, and I may step on a few toes. That movie actually made me realize that I don't like Vash, but then again, I was never huge on Vash to begin with (Legato and Wolfwood were my favorites), but even then his antics never really bothered me. Before I go on I have to preference this by saying that it's been a while since I've seen Trigun so I don't know if I'd have the same reaction or not. Vash's antics comes off as obnoxious more so than humorous, and think I was gonna change the channel twice because of it. I'm probably at the point where I don't find any of that stuff funny anymore (actually, come to think of it, I'm sure I wouldn't find a lot of his antics all that funny, outside of the 1st episode)

Anyway, there were some good moments, mainly the gunfights. To see Wolfwood, I don't know... I didn't really have a reaction to seeing him. If anything, his appearance was more "meh". Overall, I won't say the movie was bad, but it didn't really do much either. I suppose, in it's defense it's been a while since I've really watched anime as well, so I may be a little harsh.

I also managed to catch the mini Bebop marathon. That took me back. To start off with Ballad of Fallen Angels (one of favorite episodes) was really enough to get me over the disappointing Trigun movie. Actually, the whole line-up was a great selection considering majority of them were Spike stories, although, admittedly I was never a fan of Mushroom Samba (although, I watched it this morning and thought it was very funny) or Hard Luck Woman (Faye and Jet episodes tend to bore me), but still, I had no problem with those being in the line up. It reminded me how great Cowboy Bebop was. I will say that Cowboy Funk should've been played instead of Hard Luck Woman, but that's just me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You're going to base your impression of Vash over a lackluster movie that's clearly very different from the TV show as well as the manga?

Grave

Does it really matter? I'm not trying to be snappy or anything, but does or is something I'm saying going to affect how you feel about Vash (or said thing)? If not, you really should move on. There's not much to discuss at this point (and I don't feel like reading some big wall of text trying to explain to me that there is so much more to him than what I think, which is not going to do much of anything but waste time), so, yeah.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd say it matters if its not an accurate representation of the series. I mean, that's like judging Alucard based on the crappy TV series, or any RK characters based on the terrible OVAs that came out a couple of years ago.

Grave

Come on, man. We are grown men here. Me saying "I don't like Vash" really matters? It matters so much that it has to be debated over?

Quote from: meThat movie actually made me realize that I don't like Vash, but then again, I was never huge on Vash to begin with (Legato and Wolfwood were my favorites)

That should've been the end of it right there. I was never a fan of Vash, just watching the movie really brought out how much I dislike of him. It's not like I'm bashing him nor the series for that matter so there's really no point in even trying to defend his antics simply because I'm not a fan of it.

This is like that Kuwabara debate we had months ago where it led to nowhere.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

All I'm saying is that the movie version sucks because of bad writing for the story and the characters. I don't really care that you don't like Vash and I never even claimed that. I just wouldn't really base my opinion on the movie version of these characters (even Wolfwood was lackluster in the movie).

But, whatever.

VLordGTZ

I just marathoned through all of Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.  It was fucking awesome!! 

Spark Of Spirit

The only scene where Vash was written properly in the movie was in the flashback at the start. As someone whose favorite hero in anime is Vash, that he is one of my least favorite parts of the movie in how he is so out of character bothers me. "Diablo" sort of makes his entire predicament seem shallow since the Gung-Ho Guns were far more dangerous and he had no issues taking them down and in Diablo he dealt with an enemy that had just as much regard for human lives and did far more damage. Even the more comical Vash in the early episodes wouldn't have let him get away with as much as he did.

Wolfwood was just inconsequential to the whole story. It wouldn't have mattered much if he was there or not.

Really, I would have preferred if they did some sort of movie on the parts of the manga they didn't adapt into the series and make it into a film. The movie is okay, but its hard to judge the series on it since it's only vaguely similar in certain ways. I think the writers were rusty.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: VLordGTZ on December 29, 2013, 08:19:11 PM
I just marathoned through all of Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.  It was fucking awesome!!
:thumbup:

gunswordfist

Watched episode 111 of Hunter X Hunter...you see, this is why I don't like watching anime that isn't complete yet. It left me wanting so much more. :'(
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac