What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Oh damn, thanks!

Heh, I was looking at Stardust Crusaders. Let's see if I can fit the first episode or two in tonight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

I'd skip the first arc and go straight to episode 10. Phantom Blood's good but a bit dull.

Avaitor

I'm 2 episodes in, and the backstory's pretty good, but I'm not in love. I'll take your word for it, but stick around anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It gets much better once you get to Part II.

LumRanmaYasha

I like the first four episodes of Phantom Blood, but it kind of peters out for me in the second half. But as everyone says, Battle Tendency is so awesome it more than makes up for it.

LumRanmaYasha

Anyway, I started watching Beck yesterday and got done with the first 7 episodes. I must say, there are few anime.manga out there that have dialogue that legitimately sound like real conversations, so that's a refreshing change of pace. The show is very well made with great atmosphere and I love it's slow build and focus on developing the characters and the story gradually. Time-permitting I'll try and finish the anime by tomorrow, and then I'll go back to reading the manga (which I only ever read the first two volumes of).

Spark Of Spirit

The anime betters the manga in the material it covers. The only difference is that the anime (of course) has to use fictional bands instead of real ones, but in my opinion that only adds to the atmosphere. It saddens me that they never adapted the rest of the manga, but I guess all the music would have been costly to produce. Still, it's one of my favorite shonen for sure.

The climax of the anime is probably going to make you want to read the manga, though. It's really something else.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Souther

I watched the old Fate Stay Night anime, which was overall mediocre and unpleasantly poorly animated.

Just wondering what, if anything, ufotable will do to improve this other than making it look much prettier to the eye.

Foggle

Quote from: Souther on May 13, 2014, 10:11:58 PM
I watched the old Fate Stay Night anime, which was overall mediocre and unpleasantly poorly animated.

Just wondering what, if anything, ufotable will do to improve this other than making it look much prettier to the eye.
They'd have to base it on one of the other routes (or make a new one, which is apparently what they're doing). Fate route is dreadfully boring IMO.

Eddy

I was late to the party and just watched Attack on Titan and loved it. I've been fortunate enough to really love the last four anime series I've watched (Watamote, Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan). Who knows where my anime watching adventures will take me next? :light:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The first anime covers what I consider to be the best part of the manga. After that things start to get kind of stupid, IMO, but it'll be interesting to see how the second anime handles those plot points whenever it comes out.

gunswordfist

I watched episode 129 of Hunter X Hunter yesterday. I like how Pouf continues to play against both sides for what he believes is the benefit of one. Right now, he's the only villain who's actively antagonizing the group. Also, does anyone find it weird that Komugi can touch Godspeed Killua at all without dying? Killua being able to power it down enough to where it's just tingly is what I'm guessing is the explanation but that still doesn't make too much sense to me. I'd expect Killua would think it'd be useless against Pouf if it's really that powered down. Also, when he first powered up and moved fast enough to instantly dodge Pouf, the electricity should have killed her. I'm not complaining, I just felt like pointing out shonen shenanigans.  :> Also, it seems to be a running theme for Killua to carry unconscious characters on his back (Zushi, Komugi and Gon. He KO'd the last two himself with Komugi of course being an accident.) I suspect Killua having an unconsious Komugi should be the start of some trouble though..
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2014, 01:34:21 PM
The first anime covers what I consider to be the best part of the manga. After that things start to get kind of stupid, IMO, but it'll be interesting to see how the second anime handles those plot points whenever it comes out.
From what I understand the original intended ending for AoT was to have the main characters all die in battle, right? But due the unexpected popularity they decided to pull a Dragon Ball Z and keep it going after the intended ending. (DBZ was supposed to end after Frieza and then again after Cell.)

I also went and watched the OVAs for Attack on Titan, which I really enjoyed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not sure about AoT, but as far as DBZ goes, I believe that those other intended ending points were just rumors. CX linked to an article that explained it, but I don't remember where that is.

The only originally intended ending for the series that we know for sure is that it was supposed to end with the Emperor Pilaf arc, but was forced to continue due to massive popularity.

LumRanmaYasha

You're right that AOT's ending has been changed from the original planned one because of it's super popularity. However, I do not believe the original ending was going to have all the main characters die in battle. In fact, I do not believe any information on what the original ending would've been like has been released at all except for the fact it would have been harsher.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2014, 02:25:29 PM
Not sure about AoT, but as far as DBZ goes, I believe that those other intended ending points were just rumors. CX linked to an article that explained it, but I don't remember where that is.

Here!: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 14, 2014, 02:25:29 PM
The only originally intended ending for the series that we know for sure is that it was supposed to end with the Emperor Pilaf arc, but was forced to continue due to massive popularity.

Actually, Toriyama wasn't forced to continue the series after the Pilaf arc. His original plan was for the series to last one year, but it actually wasn't that popular during the Pilaf arc.  So, Toriyama decided he wanted to try and make the series more popular, and remembering how popular the Penguin Grand Prix races were in Dr. Slump, he decided to create a tournament arc, which was what led the series to grow in popularity. He still didn't think he would continue the series after that arc, because again, he thought he'd only work on it for a year, but when the series grew in popularity he must have been motivated into continuing it just a little bit longer, though of course that amount of time increased as the popularity of the series continued to grow and Shueshia realized what a hit they had on their hands.  :D