Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can respect Avatar well enough, but can't for the life of me see why people think its one of the best animated series of all time. I just don't think its on that high of a level of quality. I mean, maybe if I watch the 3rd season it'll some how miraculously change my mind, but from what I've seen, I think that we placed the show on a more than fair spot on our animation list, yet so many people were saying that it deserves to be in at least the top 20, which I just can't see myself ever really agreeing with, personally.

Dr. Insomniac

Possibly since it stands out so much in comparison to other Nicktoons.

Avaitor

The thing is, the third season is like half filler. So little of what happens in the first half shows up in the second, which is considerably better, but even then it has a disappointing finale.

If you didn't like season 2, you might as well stop there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I haven't watched the show in a while, and was considering re-watching it on Netflix, but yeah, I can't say that it was one of my favorites back when I watched it as it aired on Nick. I thought that it was enjoyable enough, but I never felt that compelled to keep watching it, either.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Korra's better, IMO.

As for the Sonic discussion, the only animated Sonic show that did it right was the OVA, IMO. It was funny, fast, good action, and the plot was just serious and jokey enough to work. It also was the best looking with the most creative art-style and music. It's a real shame it never got a proper show since it was leagues ahead of the other Sonic shows. IMO, it just needed a better dub.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I have no complaints about Korra besides the Team Avatar teamup episode's bad pacing, the finale's pacing and the fact that the villain has no personality.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 04:47:25 PM
Korra's better, IMO.

As for the Sonic discussion, the only animated Sonic show that did it right was the OVA, IMO. It was funny, fast, good action, and the plot was just serious and jokey enough to work. It also was the best looking with the most creative art-style and music. It's a real shame it never got a proper show since it was leagues ahead of the other Sonic shows. IMO, it just needed a better dub.

Was that the OVA that featured Metal Sonic as the main villain? Because that's the only one that I've seen, but I do agree that its pretty much the best Sonic cartoon out there (at least that I know of).

Eddy

I could never get into Avatar myself. It just never grabbed me and I didn't get why it was so praised.

I was enjoying Korra a lot more, but I sort of lost interest/forgot about it after a few episodes. Maybe I'll catch up on it one day.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 15, 2012, 05:22:38 PM
Korra's better, IMO.

Was that the OVA that featured Metal Sonic as the main villain? Because that's the only one that I've seen, but I do agree that its pretty much the best Sonic cartoon out there (at least that I know of).
That's the one. It's such a shame that it never got made into a full show, since more than the comics or any of the other shows it was the closest to match the games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 06:19:46 PM
Korra's better, IMO.

That's the one. It's such a shame that it never got made into a full show, since more than the comics or any of the other shows it was the closest to match the games.

Instead we got...Sonic X. :wth:

I really hope the next Sonic show will have writing that's at least TMNT2k3-level quality.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on August 15, 2012, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 15, 2012, 06:19:46 PM
Korra's better, IMO.

Instead we got...Sonic X. :wth:

I really hope the next Sonic show will have writing that's at least TMNT2k3-level quality.
Given that Sonic is more popular here, I'm expecting the next one to be a US made show.

To be honest, Japan doesn't really make anime like that OVA anymore, so if we got a show it would probably be as stiff and lifeless as Sonic X was, and no one really wants another Sonic X.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Why do I get the feeling that most of the people involved with making these various Sonic shows have never even picked up a classic 2D Sonic game? Sonic X doesn't even feel that much like the current games from what I've seen of it, but it does take their extended cast of characters and seems to generally loosely adapt some plot-lines from the later Sonic games. Even so, the few episodes I've watched felt like the most "un-Sonic" Sonic related thing that I've ever seen, if that makes any sense.

I always thought that the best idea for a Sonic series would be to start from scratch with Sonic starting up alone to fight Eggman who is terrorizing the planet. Gradually he could gain allies like he did in the classic games and the later games as well, from Tails and Knuckles to the rest of the extended cast of Sonic characters. I think that'd make for a great Sonic series, if it were handled by good writers and competent animators.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, a good Sonic cartoon should be like the OVA was, which could have been its own Sonic game. Adventuring through mysterious locations, speeding after Dr. Robotnik, making some funny sight gags and 'cool' dialogue, and hopefully less "real world" locations. While I don't mind some of them, basically putting Sonic on earth loses a lot of potentially cool things like Little Planet, or Angel Island.

Commode

I don't see how people praise The Simpsons Shorts from the Tracy Ullman show as having the only worthwhile animation in the series. First of all, if you're judging the show on the quality of animation you're wrong, but aside from that the animation from the Shorts is so jarring and ugly.  It does have its charm, because it's pretty much Matt's Life in Hell in animated form, but I'll take the animation from about seasons 4-8 where they finally got it right and the character designs got streamlined.

Besides, the best animation from the franchise is the two music videos from early in the series.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.