The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle

Started by Eddy, July 04, 2011, 05:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

What this show lacked in animation quality it made up for in hilarious writing. Let's discuss Rocky, Bullwinkle, and all their friends and the things that made this show so great.

The less said about the live action movie the better.

Spark Of Spirit

This show was really ahead of its time joke-wise. I remember watching it as a kid completely unaware it wasn't even made in that decade. (Yeah, I knew nothing about how "old" animation looked)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Fucking love this show. I still own a bunch of VHSes from the 90's which I still pop in every now and then.

One of these days, I'd like to get that complete series set and rewatch it all in its glory.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

I actually hadn't really appreciated this show until fairly recently. I didn't watch it that much as a kid (but I did see the movie) or if I did I hardly remember it. But when I saw it streaming on Netflix I decided to give it a watch and man, I was missing out on something wonderful.

Avaitor

Oh yea, do they only have season 1 or what?

I remember for the show's 50th anniversary back in 2009, Hulu put all of the first season up and I marathoned it in a few days. I would do that if they had the later ones.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Eddy

Actually, it has five seasons with 163 episodes streaming on Netflix.

And here's one of the reasons I love this show.

Avaitor

Like my new hat? Yeah, me too.

New blog!

Angus

Maybe it does make sense now that you can watch it serially, since they have so much "in the last episode, this and that happened." Otherwise, they hardly ever played it in sequence, even with the old Cartoon Network late night showings.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Mr. Big

I'm fond of Jay Ward shows. The animation's terrible but the rapid-fast dialogue and funny character designs make up for it.

This isn't Bullwinkle per say, but I consider "George of the Jungle" to be one of the best TV cartoons ever made, especially because of the addition of "Super Chicken". Shame it was also Ward's last show (apparently he pissed off all three networks by the time the show was over). It also benefited from having its production done in-house (as opposed to outsourcing to Mexico), so the layouts and designs were much better, too.

Spark Of Spirit

I've actually been slowly rewatching this starting from the beginning. Still extremely funny, though the Fairy Tales are hit or miss and easily the weakest part of the show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'll admit that not all of the Fractured Fairy Tales were gold, but the average one was typically better than the average Aesop's Fables. When they make the change midseason, it gets dull, IMO. I'd also probably put them above Peabody and Sherman myself.

And I just want to say that this is still one of my all-time favorite moments in the show's history.

New blog!

Angus

The pups are totally digging the Best of Fractured Fairy Tales.  :thumbup:

"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon