Batman: The Animated Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

As long as we all agree that Scarecrow had the best.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 17, 2014, 09:50:04 PM
EDIT: Also what happened in I've Got Batman in My Basement? That seems to be a unanimously hated episode on this forum, but I don't even remember what happened in the episode. Maybe my memory intentionally blocked it out? :P
Replace Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern with the Penguin and his goons, and it's basically Batman meets Home Alone. I'm not kidding.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Let's finish volume 1 up!

Volume 1, Disc 3-

"The Cat and the Claw"- These episodes are kinda maybe sorta... crap. Well, the first isn't too awful- Batman and Catwoman have solid chemistry, and it is fun to see their interests clash when it's Bruce and Selina spending time together. It's well-known that this was the first episode to air, while it took a while for the second part to air. Which is kind of a good thing, since the story goes downhill the moment the Red Claw shows up. I appreciate the usage of a female villain for Batman's rogue gallery, but wow, she and her organization are pretty terrible, and the second part is a massive slog, with Catwoman just not getting decent representation in it. Selina will have better stories, but like Spark said, she wasn't one of the best-treated characters on the show, and this is an indicator of how.

"See No Evil"- The show has a hit or miss reputation with creating original villains (the best one by a landslide will arrive soon, though), but here, the one-time only appearance of Ventrix works out well enough. He's nowhere near Joker or Mr. Freeze category, mind you, but the episode mostly works regardless, making for a sweet little story.

"Beware the Gray Ghost"- The last episode was good, but this is an out-right masterpiece. The only voice casting which matches Adam West's perfect performance as the Gray Ghost, it's Bruce Timm as the pawn shop owner. Besides the voice casting, here's an episode that reminds the audience that Bruce's childhood wasn't all bad, and that he did get to enjoy plenty of time with his father. This rare use of positive nostalgia is a wonderful change of pace for the show, and juxtaposes well with the mystery behind the story. This is easily one of the show's best. Oh, and Ruegger was also responsible for it! See, he knows his Batman.

"Prophecy of Doom"- This is Bruce Timm's least-favorite episode of the show, and I can see why. This is an episode calling out cults without having anything insightful or original to say about them, while there are some stupid decisions made throughout. Pass.

"Feat of Clay"- So far for two-parters, we're 2 for 3. This is a fantastic introduction to Clayface, using enough time to build the character's origin, while Batman has a hell of a mystery to crack. There weren't that many Clayface episodes, and considering how strong this and the next one I can think about were, I think it's a shame.

Volume 1, Disc 4-

"Joker's Favor"- This is an important episode for two reasons. One, this is the first legitimately good Joker episode, one which really builds into his aggressive side, and keeps the joke alive. Just like the Joker, the guy he's tormenting happened to have one bad day, and to keep things fair, he's making sure that this guy never forgets it like the Joker has yet to. This is what makes his obsessive tracking of the guy feel legit. And the other reason this episode is so important is that it's the first appearance of Harley, and the world is a better place for it.

"Vendetta"- I don't think this episode is among the best, but I'm never disappointed when I pop it in. We don't meet our villain until later on, and until then, it's a strong mystery story and one that helps to give us more of an idea of what Bullock's character is like. I don't have much else to say, but that it's worth a look if you can't recall it.

"Fear of Victory"- You know, we've had Robin on the show before, but he hasn't had much to do or a whole lot of development on the show as of yet. Here, we learn that Robin's in college right now, and that Dick's relationship with Bruce is still strong, but their differences are slowly starting to make them crack. That isn't at the center of the story though, as this is mainly about the Scarecrow's revenge. This is decent episode, but I do think that overall, the first Scarecrow episode was stronger.

"The Clock King"- Another example of one bad day gone wrong, this is a fun use of a one-off Robin-turned Green Arrow villain, who makes for a perfect fit in Gotham. It's presented and sold well, which I'd consider to be another highlight of the disc.

"Appointment in Crime Alley"- There isn't really much to say about this one, since there's no super villain and it doesn't really build on Batman's mythos, but it's solid enough to where I can't call it a dud.

"Mad as a Hatter"- The Mad Hatter isn't usually considered among Batman's best villains, but he had a good run on the show, with his origin here in particular making for a classic case of "good guy getting his vengeance from the friendzone". The last act especially has a great Alice-related climax.

"Dreams in Darkness"- And we finish off the first volume with another Scarecrow episode. I think this one makes for a good story twist by having Batman incarcerated in Arkham. We get to see what caused him to be locked up and how he saves the day despite everyone's misgivings. As an end to this set of episodes, I'll take it, although I'm not sure how it'd rank in among the best of the set.

Overall, volume 1 is an imperfect beginning to the show, but there's enough great stuff to recommend it. I'd say that the last disc is the strongest, which bodes well for the rest of the show. Which I hope to start up soon!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Another great post, Avaitor.

Quote from: Avaitor on February 18, 2014, 10:09:44 PM
"Beware the Gray Ghost"- The last episode was good, but this is an out-right masterpiece. The only voice casting which matches Adam West's perfect performance as the Gray Ghost, it's Bruce Timm as the pawn shop owner. Besides the voice casting, here's an episode that reminds the audience that Bruce's childhood wasn't all bad, and that he did get to enjoy plenty of time with his father. This rare use of positive nostalgia is a wonderful change of pace for the show, and juxtaposes well with the mystery behind the story. This is easily one of the show's best. Oh, and Ruegger was also responsible for it! See, he knows his Batman.

I was so confident when I called Heart of Ice one of my top 3 favorites in the entire series, and then you mentioned this episode. My top 3 might end up consisting of far more than three. :P

Quote from: Avaitor on February 18, 2014, 10:09:44 PM"Prophecy of Doom"- This is Bruce Timm's least-favorite episode of the show, and I can see why. This is an episode calling out cults without having anything insightful or original to say about them, while there are some stupid decisions made throughout. Pass.

It's my least favorite, too. I remember rewatching this episode a year or so ago, and really lost interest during this one. Shame it has to come right after a masterpiece.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm one of those people that think BTAS is not quite as perfect as everyone says, but I do think it was around this point that the show started to find it's groove and put out more hits than misses. All those episodes on disc 4 plus "Feat of Clay" are awesome, and "The Clock King" and "Mad As A Hatter" are two of my personal favorites, not to mention "Beware the Gray Ghost" IS my favorite episode of the entire series. Looking forward to see what you have to say about the next batch of eps in volume 2.  :)

Avaitor

If you guys are still interested, and I'm still up for it when I'm done, I might do the same for Justice League. Just like with Batman, I'll go 2 discs at a time, which should make for 7 posts.

I won't do these for Superman or Batman Beyond though. Partly because I don't go through those sets as much as my B:TAS or JL sets, and also because, among other things, I'm considering doing full episode reviews for these shows. The AV Club's probably not going to, and they deserve a good looking through themselves.

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'd be interested in that, Avaitor.

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 18, 2014, 10:21:21 PM
I'm one of those people that think BTAS is not quite as perfect as everyone says, but I do think it was around this point that the show started to find it's groove and put out more hits than misses. All those episodes on disc 4 plus "Feat of Clay" are awesome, and "The Clock King" and "Mad As A Hatter" are two of my personal favorites, not to mention "Beware the Gray Ghost" IS my favorite episode of the entire series. Looking forward to see what you have to say about the next batch of eps in volume 2.  :)

There's a small part of me that thinks I might find the series a bit overrated, too, as I feel like I could list off a number of duds... But honestly, I just can't deny that this series makes me smile, and I find myself wanting to rewatch it. It's the type of thing where I feel like the series as a whole is just so good that I can look past its flaws.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually find people tend to overrate how many duds the beginning of the show has. Outside of a handful of the episodes Avaitor covered, I'd only consider a tiny handful bad and everything else enjoyable to classic. Every time I watch the series I always think I'll slog through the start of it but I always find myself pleasantly surprised. It doesn't excuse the duds, but from the way some people talk you'd figure there were more episodes like "Be A Clown" than "Joker's Favor" when it really isn't the case at all.

I still consider it one of the best superhero shows.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I know what you're saying, Talon. There are a lot shows where I feel the same way as you. Even with BTAS, actually, the episodes of the show that I love I REALLY love and rank as some of my all time favorite episodes in any show ever and I can rewatch them time after time.

I don't think the series is "overrated,"in that I don't think it's popularity is by any means undeserved. I do think that people exaggerate the consistency of it sometimes. I don't think there are that many awful episodes, but I can't overlook the fact it does have weaker episodes, especially since the ones that miss really miss for me. I also don't think every good episode was amazing, "Heart of Ice" level; there were "average" episodes alongside the brilliant ones. So I don't think it's quite the most "perfect" animated series ever like people sometimes make it out to be, is all.

Avaitor

No show is perfect though. How many shows are there which ran for as long or longer than B:TAS with less than 5 duds, on the top of your head?

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Before you read anything else, know that I wasn't criticizing the show, but rather, the general fandom's perception of it. My problem is with fans overlooking the weaker and average bits of the show.   :P

Anyway,

Quote from: Avaitor on February 19, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
No show is perfect though. How many shows are there which ran for as long or longer than B:TAS with less than 5 duds, on the top of your head?

King of the Hill, South Park, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Lupin the Third (Red Jacket/2nd Series).

...but there's much more than just 5 episodes of B:TAS I don't like. I personally do not care for:

Christmas with the Joker
The Last Laugh
The Underdwellers
The Forgotten
Be a Clown
It's Never Too Late
I've Got Batman in My Basement
The Cat and the Claw parts 1 & 2
See no Evil
Prophecy of Doom
The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy
Night of the Ninja
Cat Scratch Fever
Tyger, Tyger
Moon of the Wolf
Day of the Samurai
Birds of a Feather
The Mechanic
Blind As A Bat
Fire From Olympus
Sideshow
The Terrible Trio
Catwalk
Bane
Lock-Up
Make 'Em Laugh
You Scratch My Back
The Torch Song
Mean Seasons
Critters
Cult of the Cat

That's 32 episodes. I honestly do not care for 30% of the show, and there's an additional 20% of episodes I only find to be "alright." Keep in mind though that I LOVE 50% of it too, but still, those are 32 episodes I really did not enjoy and would not watch again intentionally. So the show has it's failings for me, which is why I shake my head a bit when people claim it as flawless or perfect. This isn't just true for BTAS: I get a bit annoyed when fans of any show call something "perfect." BTAS is just one of the few shows that don't have any dislikers, though, so sometimes those fans bother me more than it should because of a lack of other side/middle ground fans. That's all.   :sweat:

Avaitor

There's a couple of episodes there that I do like, but only a couple that I find more than just good. Still, you're right, the show doesn't have a highly consistent run.

But there aren't that many people who call it a perfect show. Certainly not on here at least. Most fans are very aware of how inconsistent it is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Now that I think about it, I feel as if there are only a few episodes I flat out don't like. Even a lot of the weaker episodes that might qualify as duds, are just duds by the series' standard in my mind. They are still average pieces of entertainment, at least.

Avaitor

It's a little early, but I'm in the mood to do the next post. Feel free to continue the discussion if you want. ;)

Volume 2, Disc 1-

"Eternal Youth"- Alright, so on the top of my head, I don't recall there being too many more villain introductions on this set. We mostly get new adventures with baddies Batman's already faced so far, like this one, with Ivy. It's a strong episode, one that hints at Alfred's love life and how he spends his time outside of Wayne Manor, but I'd be lying if I said that this is one of my most rewatched episodes. I think I've only seen it 2 or 3 times, which for me is rather paltry for an episode I don't have much of a problem with.

"Perchance to Dream"- Now this, THIS is a great episode. Of course, it doesn't take long to realize that it's a dream, especially when you remember the title, but that's just fine. This episode plays with the idea of Bruce having a happy life without losing his parents, and hey, even Selina has use for him without the cape. But it also sells the idea that there is more to Batman than just his origin, that Bruce may truly never be happy. the last few minutes are particularly killer, helping to make this one of my choices for the show's best.

"The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy"- This is a cute idea for a story, but one that probably translates better in comic form with another Batman than as an episode for the series. What could have come out as a clever endeavor ends up as forgettable filler.

"Robin's Reckoning"- Ooh, I really like these episodes as well. There aren't too many origin stories for villains on volume 2, but we get a great origin for Robin in part 1, one that's in both parts insightful towards his relationship with Batman and down-right heartbreaking. The whole of the story, in which the mobster responsible for the death of Dick's parents, gets more time to flesh out in the second episode, which only has a brief continuation of Robin's origin, and ultimately isn't as strong. It's still a good episode, one that further hints at Bruce and Dick not always being close together in the future.

"The Laughing Fish"- On paper, this one doesn't sound too special. Actually, it sounds kind of silly, but this is by far one of the Joker's solo highlights (not counting Harley) on the show. It makes perfect sense, in a typically nutty Joker way, for him to mess with one copyrighter just for not being able to comply to his wishes, while Batman and Bullock get some crucial development time towards the two of them. Meanwhile, the Joker and Harley's scenes are typically a hoot, with some great bits throughout.

"Night of the Ninja"- The pacing on this episode is kind of slow, and Robin's lines are especially cringe-worthy here, but I think this delving into part of Bruce's Batman training is a welcome addition to the character's mythos. The first two acts are a little tough, but I think the fight scene at the end is one of the show's more clever, and like I said, the look into Bruce's past is rather useful.

Disc 2, Volume 2-

"Cat Scratch Fever"- Another Catwoman episode, and this isn't much better than her debut. Catwoman and science fiction-y stories never really seem to learn, but that didn't stop the show from trying anyway!

"The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne"- This one may require you to test your suspension of disbelief, since it gets hella silly and down right questionable, but I enjoy it throughout regardless. I also think it's worth noting that this is one of the first villain team-ups that the show pulled out, and the first time we've seen Two-Face since his first episodes. Right off the bat, they have apparent chemistry with each other, though.

"Heart of Steel"- People really seem to like this two-parter, but I won't lie, I've never had much use for it, first appearance of Barbara Gordon aside. That said, I'm pretty rusty with these episodes, which is why I'm not saying much. But feel free to correct me on this one.

"If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?"- Well, here's one origin- the Riddler's. And he gets a very strong debut here, with a great set of riddles which require both Batman and Robin's clashing intellect to save the day. There aren't too many Riddler eps, so I say savor this one.

"Joker's Wild"- The past couple of Joker episodes have been better, but this is still stronger than his first few. Ultimately, it just isn't as memorable as "Joker's Favor" or "The Laughing Fish", but it still has some good moments all around, my highlight in particular being his meeting with Bruce, which is fascinating.

"Tyger, Tyger"- I'd say that this one is a Gargoyles reject, but not only is that disrespectful to a brilliant show like Gargoyles, but I think this episode is slightly more enjoyable than Catwoman's previous episodes. It's still a lesser effort for the show, however.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Robin dialogue aside, I enjoy the Ninja/Samurai episodes. They're a bit of a different flavor from the usual episodes but I'd be lying if I didn't say they weren't enjoyable. Other than the Catwoman episodes (as usual, unfortunately) this was a pretty good set.

"If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?" is also the first BTAS episode I saw (since it was released here on video before the show ever debuted here) and is still one of my favorite titles.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Some real great stuff there. I'm partial to "Eternal Youth" since it gives Alfred some good focus and it's a Poison Ivy episode and I love pretty much all of those. "Perchance to Dream" is a classic (though I will always question why the Mad Hatter would go through all that trouble when he could just kill Batman, or why he didn't even bother to unmask him... :sweat:). I LOVE "Robin's Reckoning;" easily Dick Grayson's finest moments in the entire series and one of my all time favorites from the show too. "Laughing Fish" and "Joker's Wild" are fun Joker eps with some very memorable moments. "Heart Of Steel" were the first episodes of the show I ever watched, and I enjoy them, though it's been a while since I've last seen them so I don't know how I'd rate 'em now. And I'll second that the Ridder's first ep is also one of my favorites too.

But yeah, Catwoman episodes are terrible. It's a shame, since I like how the character is portrayed in the series, yet they never seemed to make a good plot around her. I think the only Catwoman episode I can say I like is "Batgirl Returns," and that's only an average episode to me.