Batman: The Animated Series

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I don't hate Moon of the Wolf, but I never liked it much. What's off about it, aside from the bad character design of Romulus (the dude who becomes the werewolf), is that it introduces one of the absolute worst characters in the entire series: Professor Milo. I don't know how he is in the comics but good grief, what a painfully bland and generic villain. I think it says something that even years later when he was brought in out of the blue in that episode of Justice League that I overjoyed when Doomsday finished him off. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Timm or someone on staff hated him.

talonmalon333

Almost Got 'Em is my favorite episode.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on February 21, 2014, 09:36:10 PM
I don't hate Moon of the Wolf, but I never liked it much. What's off about it, aside from the bad character design of Romulus (the dud who becomes the werewolf), is that introduces one of the absolute worst characters in the entire series: Professor Milo. I don't know how he is in the comics but good grief, what a painfully bland and generic villain. I think it says something that even years later when he was brought in out of the blue in that episode of Justice League that I overjoyed when Doomsday finished him off. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Timm or someone on staff hated him.
Oh yeah, he was in that wolf episode. I thought he literally went from experimenting on stray animals to creating Doomsday. lol
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I think it's about time to finish the rest of the show's first production season, and get a head start on TAOBAR.

Volume 3, Disc 1-

"Shadow of the Bat"- This set begins with a doozy- a two-parter introducing Batgirl. It's a pretty good set of episodes, too. They wisely cut down on Batman time for these episodes in favor of giving us more insight into Barbara Gordon's character, explaining how she has her Batgirl skills and letting the audience grow to like her as a person more. Meanwhile, the reasons for the debut of Batgirl makes for a decent enough mystery which is present throughout. There's even a bit of development towards Batgirl and Robin's relationship, which ultimately doesn't last but is hinted at being quite serious later on in TNBA. As build-up to an important character's start in the series, and as a two-part episode, I think it mostly succeeds.

"Blind as a Bat"- They tried something like this much earlier on with "The Forgotten", which also messed with the status quo of Batman's usual lifestyle. While that was a complete dud, mostly since it was made so soon into the show's cycle, before the audience was able to really make a connection between Batman, I think this episode is a lot more bearable now, almost 60 episodes in. I wouldn't call it great, but it is one of the Penguin's better episodes at least.

"The Demon's Quest"- We met Talia near the end of the last set, and now she's back with her daddy in this two parter. And yes, Nolan got the pronunciation wrong. This is a very exciting pair of episodes for both fans of Ra's and in general, one that has plenty of action, palpable tension, and a strong dynamic between the father-daughter duo. Easily a highlight of the show.

"His Silicon Soul"- A sequel of sorts to the "Heart of Steel" two-parter, like those episodes, there' obviously some strong ties here that fans feel connected to, but I can truthfully take or leave. But if you really liked those episodes, you need to check this one out as well.

"Fire from Olympus"- This is a little silly if you aren't able to embrace an episode of this kind for the show, but it definitely has its fans. I know that Maxie Zeus from tz (and yes, he got his user name from this episode) considers it his personal favorite, and while I wouldn't go that far, I like the idea of seeing Batman face something close to a god for a change. Maybe it would have been more enjoyable (or even unbearable, who knows) if they went for straight-up camp instead of playing the episode as straight as they did, but I still give it my thumbs up.

Volume 3, Disc 2-

"Read My Lips"- And here's another episode that I think may be too much for some fans, but is also one I really enjoy. I do very much like the question behind Scarface, whether it's the man or the puppet, which when you get down to it, is something only Arkham could really handle. It's an episode I never walk out disappointed from.

"The Worry Men"- I don't think this one is too bad, but it is the Mad Hatter's weakest solo endeavor, and it comes off as an episode made out of desperation to fill a massive quota out more than anything. I can't say that I've seen it more than once, but I really don't remember it being painful.

"Sideshow"- And here we go, the first episode of the revamped Batman, this time promising more Robin in the show. And this is a pretty good one, although it doesn't focus on Batman or Robin too much, instead giving time to Killer Croc and the carnies he befriends. There's very much a vibe reminiscent of Tod Browning's Freaks, which makes the episode fun to watch and even sympathize with.

"A Bullet for Bullock"- But here's something really special. Bullock has been humanized a little beyond the Bat-hating maniac here and there on the show, but this one lends the episode out to him and the Dark Knight to take care of matters on his hand. It's a hell of a watch, even if it isn't often brought up among the show's best.

"Trial"- I have to admit, when I first watched this episode, I wasn't a fan. I thought it was too silly, that the point wasn't presented well, and that it ultimately came off as pointless. Another viewing turned me around however, and now it's one of my most watched episodes of the show. It is a very funny episode, and it is a treat to see practically every villain to date here. The concept of Batman being to blame IS argued well throughout, which makes this one of the show's absolute highlights.

"Avatar"- Ra's al Ghul is back, in an interesting follow-up, even if it isn't as strong as his premiere. Still a solid episode though.

"House & Garden"- This is easily Ivy's best solo episode, a hope at retribution for her gone wrong. The typical fantastic Batman: TAS atmosphere is present all the way through, with the ending being a heartwrenching one. I do very much wish that this was Ivy's last episode however, even though I do like her later team-ups with Harley. This was just such a high note for her to call it a day on, that it's kind of disappointing that she didn't.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

"The Demon's Quest" are another two of my top favorites from the series. Really, I just love any episode with Ra's, but those were definitely his finest ones.  And I'll second "House and Garden" being Ivy's best episode, though I do like her appearances later on enough.

talonmalon333

I feel like Trial doesn't argue that Batman is to blame extremely well, because it comes out in the end essentially spelling out the answer that he's not really to blame.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, I concur. The focus of the blame is more placed on the villains themselves for their choices than on Batman, so the argument that he is responsible for some of it is muddled at best. Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns comic and it's movie adaption does a much better take on the idea, though with some unfortunate over the top elements that still hurt it a bit. 

"Trial" is still an entertaining episode, though, and I actually like how it calls the villains out on the bullshit self-pity since they ARE much more to blame than Batman is for their continued crimes.

talonmalon333

I really like Trials, too. Just not for any debate. Actually, I think this episode is sound enough that there isn't much debate to even be had.

Avaitor

I didn't forget about this, I just got lazy lol. But here's the rest of volume 3!

Volume 3, Disc 3-

"The Terrible Trio"- Or maybe this is why I didn't feel like continuing lol. Ugh, this really sucks. The boys are annoying and Batman doesn't do much better to be more interesting by comparison.

"Harlequinade"- By now, Timm and crew, Paul Dini in particular, realized just how important Harley Quinn was to the show's success. A fully original character, Harley gave the Bat mythos another necessary feminine touch and a highly fascinating villain in her own right. This episode divorces her from the Joker even more than "Harley & Ivy" did, which isn't really a bad thing. She has good chemistry with Batman, and Robin's addition midway to the episode is done nicely. The last act, which reunites Harley with her psycho man, just builds into their strange relationship. A damn fine episode which I can't fault too much.

"Time Out of Joint"- This episode brings back the Clock King, and while it isn't as strong as his debut, I think this is a decent episode regardless. Maybe nothing too special, but still better than "The Terrible Trio."

"Catwalk"- Wow. I do not remember this one at all. It's a Catwoman episode though, so I'm not too surprised. I do remember another Scarface episode, but have no memory of Selina being in it, so I'll see you in volume 4. :P

"Bane"- This episode does the best it can to give a solid introduction to a so-so villain. Bane's a good example of power =/= personality, which is basically this episode as a whole. Serviceable at best, forgettable at worst.

"Baby-Doll"- Doug Walker is a staunch defender of this episode, and yes, I can definitely see why. Baby-Doll works perfectly as a one-off antagonist (and I know she returns, but I'll get to that eventually), with a traditionally strong origin story that culminates in a heart-breaking finish. Not to justify her actions, but the episode is definitely worth a look if you don't fully recall it.

"The Lion and the Unicorn"- I think this was the last episode to air of the series before switching over to TNBA on Kids WB!, and if so, that's a shame. Red Claw is just as uninteresting here as she was in "The Cat and the Claw", and even the show's attempt at giving Alfred some backstory doesn't work. This is a complete bore.

Volume 3, Disc 4-

"Showdown"- This episode barely has Batman in it, and is basically Ra's al Ghul telling a story about the time Jonah Hex foiled one of his plots. If this was a failed back-door pilot for a Jonah Hex show, I have no idea, but I know that if I saw this as a kid, when I had no idea who Hex was, I would've been confused and annoyed. Now that I've read some of his stories and have a feel for his character (wisely ignoring the movie as of yet, though), I enjoy it a bit. this is definitely not a traditional B:TAS, but that's okay sometimes.

"Riddler's Reform"- This episode continues from "Birds of a Feather" and "House & Garden", this time being part of a mini-arc of failed redemption stories for some of the show's villains, first off with the Riddler. Like his previous episodes, it's nicely plotted, but the ending isn't too surprising. And this is it for Riddler stories, which is a shame, since his presence was always welcome, yet it's just so hard to get a good story for him down. At least he ended on a high note, right?

"Second Chance"- If I was to make a personal top 5 episodes from the series, it would probably contain "Heart of Ice", "Perchance to Dream", "Almost Got 'Im", something I'll get to in volume 4, and this one. I wrote about this one in much greater depth on the old board, but I just love the delving into Harvey Dent's character, right down to that sweet little ending when he sees Bruce for the first time since his accident. It's an emotionally rough, but incredible episode.

"Harley's Holiday"- The Riddler and Two-Face nearly had their chance to join the right side of the world, and now it's Harley's turn. However, as we see, she's simply not ready to be a functioning member of society yet. The stakes are weirdly high from such a silly issue, but that's Gotham for you. I wouldn't say it's the best kind of these episodes, but I watch it fairly often and always end up enjoying it. There's some good gags and a cute little ending for Harl and Batman.

"Lock-Up"- Here's another attempt at an original villain from the showrunners, yet unlike Harley, Lock-Up never became much of a deal at all. It's an average-at-best episode, and he doesn't have a great presence ala Batman's best baddies, so there's no surprise there.

"Make 'Em Laugh"- Huh, this is the first Joker episode, at least with him front and center, in a while, and it's a strange little misfire. This episode feels like it's building up to one joke, which just ends up being the Joker being pantsed. That's all that needs to be said.

"Deep Freeze"- Wow, we haven't had a Mr. Freeze episode since his excellent premiere. Strange, but this follow-up is a good one, an episode that almost promises Freeze the thing he wants the most, but that just can't happen. At least not yet. As a sequel to "Heart of Ice", I'd give it at least a B+, if not higher, but it doesn't really set up for the SubZero movie. Then again, there wasn't any plans of the movie happening until some time after the fact, so that isn't a big deal. I have one more Mr. Freeze story coming up in volume 4, as well as a final story in Batman Beyond, but his run is pretty strong, all things considering. I'd say his run works 4 out of 5 times.

"Batgirl Returns"- The last episode planned for Fox Kids, this brings Batgirl back into the front. It's kind of cool that the set begins and ends with Batgirl episodes, all things considering, when you realize how integral she is to the upcoming movie and the show's continuation. This gives her not only a decent story to deal with, but what might just be Catwoman's best episode of the entire series, bar "Almost Got 'Im". Not a bad way to end a set.

Volume 3 is a little weird. While 2 was light on villain introduction and mostly focused on building up the baddies already introduced, 3 threw a bunch of new character onto the wall to see how they'd fit into the show's dynamic, and the results are all over the place. There are some great episodes and probably the smallest amount of bad episodes on this set, but I think I prefer the earlier ambitions, even if there are more failures, of the first 2 volumes. Still, I get great use out of this set, and I can't wait to get to the New Adventures of Batman and his merry friends.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I always thought Baby-Doll worked really well. It's the ending that really sells it, I think.

My one gripe with BTAS is that there weren't enough Riddler episodes. I really liked the ones they did, but he really could have used a few more to set himself apart more. And then... there was his redesign. Ugh.

That Mr. Freeze episode you're referring to that doesn't work was such a disappointment. Every other one of his episodes is great, but that one was so silly and ridiculous and made him out of character to get a plot. I just never understood why they made it.

All in all, volume 3 is some great stuff. I like that they tried so many new things and even if they don't always work they're still mostly enjoyable.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on February 27, 2014, 11:37:18 PM
it doesn't really set up for the SubZero movie. Then again, there wasn't any plans of the movie happening until some time after the fact, so that isn't a big deal.

What makes you say that? Didn't that episode put Freeze where he is in SubZero?

"Batgirl Returns"- The last episode planned for Fox Kids, this brings Batgirl back into the front. It's kind of cool that the set begins and ends with Batgirl episodes, all things considering, when you realize how integral she is to the upcoming movie and the show's continuation. This gives her not only a decent story to deal with, but what might just be Catwoman's best episode of the entire series, bar "Almost Got 'Im". Not a bad way to end a set.

I like the look Catwoman gives when she realizes that Batgirl agrees to work with her.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on February 28, 2014, 01:03:13 AM
it doesn't really set up for the SubZero movie. Then again, there wasn't any plans of the movie happening until some time after the fact, so that isn't a big deal.

What makes you say that? Didn't that episode put Freeze where he is in SubZero?
I haven't seen the episode in a while, so I don't recall.

New blog!

Avaitor

One more set, and then that is it for Batman! Let's go!

Volume 4, Disc 1-

"Holiday Knights"- And here is the New Batman Adventures, the show's Kids WB! continuation. And we start off with a Christmas episode... which aired in September. This is especially different, as this episode is done as a series of 3 vignettes. The first story reunites the Harley and Ivy pairing, confirming their debut episode's popularity, and has them brainwash Bruce Wayne into paying for a massive Christmas Eve shopping spree. As you can tell, it's a lightweight short, but cute enough. Next brings Batgirl into the front, introducing Tara Strong's take on the role, as she deals with Clayface while at the mall. The last, which is actually a New Years story, has Batman and Robin, the newly-found Tim dRake incarnation, try to stop the Joker's killer party. The latter two stories are more traditional B:TAS tales, and they're okay as a whole, yet I can't say this episode is much beyond pleasing on the whole.

"Sins of the Father"- It's weird that the previous episode was the show's premiere, when this introduces Tim Drake to the fold. Although there's some definite Jason Todd influence in this Robin, since Tim isn't actually an orphan in the comics. The episode is mostly by the books otherwise, although the ending is slightly important.

"Cold Comfort"- "Heart of Ice" introduced Mr. Freeze to the show, "Deep Freeze" gave him hope, then shit went down during SubZero, ending with Nora coming back to life. Sadly, she doesn't stay with Victor Fries, not knowing that he's alive after the results of the film, so now he goes psycho here. Sadly, the episode doesn't work for him in most any way, leading to a disappointing tale in Freeze's saga. But not the end, if you stick around for Batman Beyond, as he gets a bittersweet coda.

"Double Talk"- This episode brings back the Scarface and ventriloquist conflict back into the fold, taking some time off from the excellent "Read My Lips", and making for a solid enough episode.

"You Scratch My Back"- So Batman and Catwoman didn't really work out, but here, she kinda gets it on with Nightwing. There are worse Catwoman episodes out there, since this dynamic is actually kind of interesting, but it's still not a great episode.

"Never Fear"- Huh, I don't remember this one much at all. I'll have to give it another watch. I'm sorry guys. :P

Volume 4, Disc 2-

"Joker's Millions"- "I may be crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS? No thank you!" The only saving grace from an otherwise really stupid episode.

"Growing Pains"- Ooh, this one's a doozy. It's mostly a solo Robin episode, where he bonds with a girl who looks to be close to his age... until, eh, why spoil? It's a dark, but kind of sweet episode that I recommend checking out again, or for the first time maybe.

"Love is a Croc"- Even as a kid, I found this one creepy, but not in a good way. It's just an episode that's hard to defend or even remember.

"Torch Song"- This won't make it anywhere near a greatest episodes list, but I like it. The build-up is pretty good, letting us get an idea of both sides of the action, while not taking the plot too far from Batman. The ending especially is a great one, which I'd argue to be among the show's best.

"The Ultimate Thrill"- Wow, another episode I barely remember. This doesn't speak well for this set, does it?

"Over the Edge"- But hey, at last this disc ends with a bona-fide classic. This is easily one of the show's most intense episodes, with a killer new idea every other minute, and it holds up in repeat viewings. As for the ending, let's be honest, would you really have wanted all of this to happened? I think Barbara's ending talk with her dad was brilliant, myself, and makes up for any contrivance.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm, I'd say these are the weakest set of episodes so far. "Double Talk," "Growing Pains," and "Over the Edge" are amazing, but the rest are either disappointing or forgettable, though I can't say I hate any of them either (though I've never cared for "Torch Song," but maybe I should give it another chance one of these days).

Spark Of Spirit

Cold Comfort should have never been made. HIGHLY unnecessary episode.

I will never understand those who hate Over the Edge, though. The episode is mostly about Barbara and her doubts about what she has chosen to hide from her father and that she would set all this off was definitely her greatest fear. Let's be honest, if this was real the show would be over.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton