Digimon

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 22, 2011, 11:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I can see a lot of people being turned off by the latest movie not really progressing the plot too much, and instead focusing on the character arcs, but I personally enjoyed it for what it was. Granted, I am disappointed that we still haven't learned anything new about the fate of the 02 cast other than Ken mysteriously walking around the real world and causing havoc in his Digimon Emperor wardrobe, but what's weirder is how the group reacts to him. TK seems to regard him with disdain (referring to him with the line: "him again?"). It's as if they only remember his villain status, and the fact that they haven't even brought up David and the others yet leads me to believe one of two things: either there's something going on in the plot messing with G1's memories of the 02 group, or this is just a really annoying plot-hole by the writers, but I'm going to assume the former for now, since it kind of makes sense with all of the weird stuff going on in general.

The general theme of this movie seemed to be coming of age. Several characters come to terms with their childish flaws that they've had since the original series, and realize that they aren't children anymore. Joe seems to think of fighting evil or infected Digimon as a symbolic representation of still being stuck in his childhood, and wants to reject it in order to finally pursue his adult life. He also has a problem with being chosen as a Digidestined against his will in the first place, which is a callback to the original series in which he felt pressured because he was studying to be a doctor because he was forced to. However, just like with his previous character arc, he realizes that it's nonsense to think of fighting with his friends and partner as a burden, and just like how he decided that he does want to be a doctor after all, but of his own accord rather than having had his fate chosen for him, in this case he has a similar realization about his status as a DigiDestined.

A few other observations:

Spoiler
-We finally got to see Mega Evolutions unlocked by Joe and Mimi, with Vikemon and Rosemon respectively. It's likely that the rest of the crew aside from Tai and Matt will also get to unlock their Megas as the series progresses. :swoon:

-It appears that Tai was actually responsible for Omegamon de-fusing early in the last movie. Also, he and Matt are still having their little "lover's spat."

-This series officially carried forward Digimon tradition by killing off Leomon (again).

-Dark Digivolution makes its triumphantly sinister return. :joy:
[close]

Overall, not quite as good as the first movie, but it still fully has my interest, personally. It's still easily the best thing that Toei is currently producing, which may not be saying much, but I do really enjoy it.

Spark Of Spirit

Finally got around to the second movie.

Spoiler
I liked that this movie focused on Joe and Mimi since they are two of the least utilized of the original seven (especially in 02) and gave them some good moments in the process. It was nice that they were the ones to solve the issue. Voice acting, directing, and animation are still really well done. The staff must be getting a good budget to be able to put this out looking so good for a TOEI production. I liked the new ED song, too. Very catchy.

On the other hand, I really want to know what is up with the 02 cast already. The next movie needs some explanation as to what is going on. That woman knows more than she is letting on and we still have no idea who the main villain might be.

Last complaint, I'd like to see Keep On back as one of the EDs. I'm glad they brought back I Wish and still use the new Butterfly, but I really want to see the other Adventure ED make a return next.

Oh, and Leomon is dead for good now. He died just like Wizardmon. Unless they write around that, that's the end of that tradition.
[close]

All in all, I liked it. Definitely feels like about the point in the other series just before things start to go off the rails.

EDIT: The visual for movie 3 is out! Looks like this one centers on TK and Izzy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

That's sad to hear.  :( He was a wonderful singer and responsible for most of Digimon's most iconic sings. R.I.P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I am deeply saddened to hear this, but also not surprised since he had been battling cancer for quite some time.

It's equally sad when you consider that just less than a year ago he recorded a beautiful alternate rendition of his original song for Digimon Adventure in correspondence with Tri's release. You couldn't even tell that he had throat cancer from how well he sings it, unless you already knew about it beforehand.

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 29, 2016, 10:38:29 AM
Tri is getting a dub, and Jeff Nimoy will be in it. But he won't be directing it.

Interesting. At AniMinneapolis Jeff said that R. Martin Klein was reprising Tentomon and that he had no involvement in the Tri dub. Guess things must have changed since then and he was asked to come back after all.

I'm always up for seeing anime movies in theaters, so I'll definitely hit up a screening I'm free on September 15th and there's a showing nearby.

Spark Of Spirit

It would be nice if they could get back the original cast. I know Joshua Seth said he'd return to do it.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm merging all the VA news into one post here. There have also been some new reveals which I'll put at the bottom.

Mona Marshall as Izzy
Jeff Nimoy as Tentomon, Kabuterimon
Cristina Vee as Meiko Mochizuki
Kate Higgins as Meicoomon

Robbie Daymond as Joe
R. Martin Klein as Gomamon
Philece Sampler as Mimi
Anna Garduno as Palmon
Mari Devon as Togemon
Doug Erholtz as Nishijima

Johnny Yong Bosch as T.K.
Laura Summer as Patamon
Dave Mallow as Angemon
Tara Sands as Kari
Kate Higgins as Gatomon and Himekawa

Vic Mignogna as Matt
Kirk Thornton as Gabumon, Garurumon

Joshua Seth as Tai
Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Sora
Cherami Leigh as Biyomon
Melodee M. Spevack as Birdramon
Tom Fahn as Agumon
Kyle Hebert as Greymon

Avaitor

I just found the theaters that will be screening the first movie.

Awesome, mine is! I should probably rewatch the first Adventure beforehand, but even if I can't in time, I want to go for the sake of nostalgia alone.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on July 30, 2016, 12:25:11 AM
I just found the theaters that will be screening the first movie.

Awesome, mine is! I should probably rewatch the first Adventure beforehand, but even if I can't in time, I want to go for the sake of nostalgia alone.

I found Reunion to be a genuinely good feature in its own right. It's clearly made with an older audience in mind, since despite being age appropriate for kids, it takes on a more serious tone like Tamers did. Clearly the staff behind this knew that it was older Digimon fans who this project would resonate with the most.