The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on July 22, 2016, 03:14:03 PM
I watched the dub of HXH for this one, since I saw it was available and didn't know that they finished it past the first volume. It's really not that good. Leorio is fine, but the younger hunters don't sound right at all. 2011's dub is much better thus far.

Now you know why I posted a link to the subbed version of that episode.  ;)

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 22, 2016, 03:31:59 PM
Oh right, I nominated the Hunter X Hunter episode, didn't I?

Yup. So...you gonna vote?  :D

gunswordfist

Yes. :D Just stopped by now to get the episode titles.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Sweet, I can watch everything on tv, except HXH...I will vote tomorrow.

Foggle

Same as Dr. E-K. I do think I'd probably give the edge to the HxH episode if I'd actually watched that far, though. (I will someday, I promise!)

Avaitor

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on July 22, 2016, 06:51:32 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 22, 2016, 03:14:03 PM
I watched the dub of HXH for this one, since I saw it was available and didn't know that they finished it past the first volume. It's really not that good. Leorio is fine, but the younger hunters don't sound right at all. 2011's dub is much better thus far.

Now you know why I posted a link to the subbed version of that episode.  ;)
Yeah, true. kissanime and I don't go well, so I usually go to animetoon (my go-to stream of choice, if possible) instead, but I forgot that they're primarily dubbed.

Now that I actually got to experience the dub a little, I know not to bother for when I rewatch the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on July 22, 2016, 11:47:01 PMSame as Dr. E-K. I do think I'd probably give the edge to the HxH episode if I'd actually watched that far, though. (I will someday, I promise!)

The Yorknew City arc and moments like in this episode are definitely more rewarding when following the story from the beginning. The fights remind me a lot of the ones from shows like Fate/Zero with both the fluid animation and the intricate combat system which this series has, called Nen (it adds a real sense of strategy to battles, though is initially kind of complex to comprehend).

But what I really like is how Togashi handles character arcs. Much akin to works like A Song of Ice and Fire or Vinland Saga, with Kurapika he gets you invested in his revenge plot against the Ryodan, but then has both the character and the viewer question that motivation upon being faced with the reality that Kurapika will have to sink to some low depths to truly achieve what he thinks that he wants. Things are even more morally skewed when the villains aren't pure evil and the heroes have to take on some villainous traits. Kurapika having to try and beat answers out of Uvogin was clearly too much for him, which is why he switched to trying to threaten his life directly, and even after killing him, he felt no satisfaction but only disgust.

It's nothing wholly original, but it's a good change of pace from the pro-violence stance that most fiction seems to take with revenge stories, IMO.

VLordGTZ

The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)
Scarlet Eyes X Final Battle X Cost of Life
Her Problem
Gettin' Jigen With It

gunswordfist

Looks like VLord is the only one who knows how to vote here.

LumRanmaYasha

Just to clarify, are you voting the same as Vlord, GSF?

gunswordfist

gunswordfist

Hunter X Hunter - What a sad, brutak episode. Probably my favorite HXH episode.
Bebop - Didn't really pay attention to the star at the end until now. *sniffles*
Gettin Jigen With It - Worst episode title ever. I stopped my Lupin playthrough so I didn't get to this one yet. Decent episode but I like Jigen's Barcelona adventure much, much more. It also made me feel sadder.
FMP - Episode's kind of disturbing but it was interesting seeing Chidori being in the very scary situation of being a high school girl who's being stalked and can't tell anyone.

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid #9: "Her Problem" - 18
Hunter X Hunter (1999) #56: "Scarlet Eyes X Duel X Cost of Life" - 15
Cowboy Bebop #26: "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" - 27
Lupin III Part II #58: "The Border Is the Face of Farewell" - 10

"Her Problem" and "The Real Folk Blues (Part 2)" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

Avaitor

I have 5 episodes until I hit that Tylor, so I'd prefer to wait until I make it. Which I should hopefully do before Thur.

I'll have to rewatch the 0080 ep, and check out this Ranma, as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist