Childhood cartoons that don't hold up as well as you remembered

Started by Eddy, September 04, 2013, 01:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Pretty much every anime I watched as kid doesn't really hold up at all, now that I think about it.

GregX

Quote from: Avaitor on September 04, 2013, 06:25:57 PM
Quote from: GregX on September 04, 2013, 05:48:11 PM
Any cartoon from the 1980's except for DuckTales
I thought you were a Real Ghostbusters fan?

And I forgot about that one. But only select episodes.

Avaitor

It's funny though, I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to a lot of what I watched as a kid. I still enjoy a lot of the Disney shows. Besides the near-perfection of Gargoyles, I can forgive some of the cheesier lines in DuckTales and Darkwing Duck thanks to the jokes that do work, as well as the atmosphere, the characters and the varied animation (although I will say that Rescue Rangers holds up the weakest of most of those shows in hindsight), while the Warner, Cartoon Cartoon, and some Nicktoons has enough wit and playful fun for me to still care. Not to mention the freaking DCAU.

Not everything was as clever as Rocko or the Ed's, but I still do like a lot of what I watched.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I do still like the Disney Afternoon shows (but Rescue Rangers as a whole is harder to watch than any of the other pre-Gargoyles shows) as a whole. But I can imagine that some people won't like them as much these days, I still find them fun to watch. I actually think the latter shows on the block dated worse.

My problem is that I don't think most Nickelodeon shows have dated well. Though I like Rocko, classic Rugrats, and Angry Beavers, I don't find myself watching any of their other material much at all. I think of the big three, their stuff aged the worst as a whole.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think it's weird to say, but I do have more fun with the live-action Nick shows from that time than I do with the Nicktoons. And I won't argue with those who think the live-action shows don't hold up.

New blog!

Rynnec

Catdog, Rocket Power, Doug, and post-revival Rugrats. While Doug isn't as horrible as the other three, it just doesn't do anything for me.

Quote from: Cartoon XDon't hold up at all:
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Beyblade
Megaman NT Warrior

Dub, original, or both? Because I've been watching the original YGO on Nicktoons, and it's been surprisingly watchable so far.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 04, 2013, 07:58:45 PM
I think it's weird to say, but I do have more fun with the live-action Nick shows from that time than I do with the Nicktoons. And I won't argue with those who think the live-action shows don't hold up.
I agree. I can watch stuff like AYAOTD and know it's not all that great, but I enjoy watching it anyway.

I can't really say the same for their other animated material outside of what I listed. I think Ned is a better cartoon than most of them.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Rynnec on September 04, 2013, 07:59:12 PM
Dub, original, or both? Because I've been watching the original YGO on Nicktoons, and it's been surprisingly watchable so far.

Dub mostly, but I don't care for the show subbed much either. The animation quality, visuals, the script in both the original and 4Kids' version... it's much, much worse than Dragonball Z's quality, and it doesn't really appeal to me anymore, and I've lost any nostalgia I've had for the show quite a while back, whereas my Pokemon nostalgia still holds quite strong. The manga is really the only way I can really enjoy the story nowadays, but really, "The Millennium World" portion of the story is the only part I would call really good, whereas the rest does entertain me, but only mildly.

Eh, maybe Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged has just ruined the original for me.   :>

Nel_Annette

I think SatAM was the one that hit me the hardest. Especially considering I had been reading the Sonic comic since 1995. But lord, a lot of it doesn't hold up. Jim Cummings as Dr. Robotnik is still awesome though.

Eddy

For some reason Doug is a very memorable show to me, as it seems to be with a lot of people. It very much was a product of its time but there's just something so charming about it that I can't help but love Doug. "There's a bomb in the lasagna" is one of the most memorable Nicktoon moments for me.

I'd also argue that Hey Arnold! holds up pretty decently well. Arnold himself is a dull as dirt character but the others in the show, especially Helga and the people in Arnold's boarding house, are all pretty entertaining.

talonmalon333

For me, while I wouldn't say it's really aged particularly badly, I will say that Teen Titans isn't as enjoyable as it used to be for me. I loved that show as a kid. Nowadays, I think it's good, but not great. I mostly enjoy the arcs in seasons 1, 2, and 4 (and I guess 3 and 5 to a certain extent) as well as a handful of standalone episodes. I've come to see that I can actually do without a huge chunk of the series.

But man, even with that said, I do really love the main story arcs of season 2 and 4. They are some of my favorite animated super hero arcs in general. Not kidding.

Daikun

I was browsing through YouTube videos, and I was just reminded of a TV pilot I forgot about a long time ago.

Remember Welcome to Eltingville? It was the first pilot that Adult Swim ever aired way back in early 2002 and was sadly (?) not picked up. AS would flush through a ton of failed pilots until The Venture Bros. was greenlit.

Adult Swim aired this pilot online back in 2007 (I believe), and when I revisited it five years after its premiere, I could see why the pilot wasn't initially picked up--it aged BADLY. The animation was lackluster (yes, even for Adult Swim standards) and the humor was dated. I'd also heard reports that Evan Dorkin was terrible at deadlines, so if the show WAS picked up, we would have to wait Harvey Birdman-length hiatuses between episodes.

Even though this pilot was originally a critical darling back when the block was young, in retrospect, I think AS made the right decision not to give Eltingville a full series.

Peanutbutter

I can't help but wonder if similar reasons may be why Korgoth didn't get picked up. It's fine mostly now, but will its humor and style still be that way in another ten or so years?