Cleveland Show cancelled?

Started by Daikun, April 16, 2013, 05:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

I honestly don't care if Animation Domination is still made up of cartoon family sitcoms. Of course it's going to be, because Sunday nights are still used as "family time" for families across the country. The Simpsons is still pretty much a family show as was King of the Hill. While Family Guy and American Dad aren't supposed to be watched by kids, I'm sure there are some parents that watch it with them.

What I do care about, is if the sitcoms are good. I liked Napoleon Dynamite (which was good even though I never found the movie that funny) but that didn't last past six episodes. Heck, King of the Hill was pretty much universally loved throughout its entire run and yet that was a family sitcom. Which was due to all the different plots it came up with. A family sitcom format shouldn't be seen as a ball of chain, not when its in the hands of good writers.

And to be fair to FOX, they have given some non-family sitcoms the green-light before. Problem is, they either sucked like Sit Down, Shut Up or didn't retain an audience.

Goldstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on April 19, 2013, 06:58:11 AM
I honestly don't care if Animation Domination is still made up of cartoon family sitcoms. Of course it's going to be, because Sunday nights are still used as "family time" for families across the country. The Simpsons is still pretty much a family show as was King of the Hill. While Family Guy and American Dad aren't supposed to be watched by kids, I'm sure there are some parents that watch it with them.

What I do care about, is if the sitcoms are good. I liked Napoleon Dynamite (which was good even though I never found the movie that funny) but that didn't last past six episodes. Heck, King of the Hill was pretty much universally loved throughout its entire run and yet that was a family sitcom. Which was due to all the different plots it came up with. A family sitcom format shouldn't be seen as a ball of chain, not when its in the hands of good writers.

And to be fair to FOX, they have given some non-family sitcoms the green-light before. Problem is, they either sucked like Sit Down, Shut Up or didn't retain an audience.

So families only want to watch TV shows about families? Every prime time cartoon can't be The Simpsons or Family Guy, nor should they try to be. When all the shows on the lineup are exactly the same, it's boring, and limiting the block to only 1 type of program is dooming it to an early extinction.

Agreed about the last part. The problem with FOX's non-family focused shows hasn't been that they're not about families, but that most of them weren't very good or just didn't do well enough ratings wise to survive. All it would take is for 1 good non-family oriented animated show to succeed on the block, and then FOX would then green light several other shows just like, hoping to repeat it's powerful success.

Just as long as FOX doesn't air anything like Allen Gregory again. That show was so bad that it made The Cleveland Show look good.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on April 19, 2013, 06:58:11 AM
I honestly don't care if Animation Domination is still made up of cartoon family sitcoms.

I do. I don't want to watch the same show repeated across 2 to 4 hours, especially when it's the same basic format, writing/art style, tropes and idioms being rehashed and recycled again and again by the same set of artists and writers. It reminds me too much of Hanna-Barbera in the 70's through 80's, when they just kept remaking the same shows over and over. "Let's do Scooby-Doo again, but with a ghost or a shark or a talking car or the Shmoo instead of a dog!"

QuoteOf course it's going to be, because Sunday nights are still used as "family time" for families across the country. The Simpsons is still pretty much a family show as was King of the Hill. While Family Guy and American Dad aren't supposed to be watched by kids, I'm sure there are some parents that watch it with them.

Just because Sunday nights are considered "family time" doesn't mean that every show on Animation Domination has to be about a family. Following that logic, shows like The Amazing Race and Once Upon a Time shouldn't be airing on Sunday nights, since neither of those are domcoms.

QuoteWhat I do care about, is if the sitcoms are good. I liked Napoleon Dynamite (which was good even though I never found the movie that funny) but that didn't last past six episodes. Heck, King of the Hill was pretty much universally loved throughout its entire run and yet that was a family sitcom. Which was due to all the different plots it came up with. A family sitcom format shouldn't be seen as a ball of chain, not when its in the hands of good writers.

Just because FOX has aired a few clunkers in the past doesn't mean that they shouldn't try anything else. A variety would be a domcom, a 20-something slacker comedy, a collection of shorts type toons, a superhero/spy spoof toon, a hardcore action show, etc. Declaring that only one genre of programming is permitted on your block only stifles creativity and imagination, especially when the one show they're aping nonstop is well past its' prime and is clearly just going through the motions. This mindset is precisely why I don't watch Animation Domination.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.