Ed, Edd, n' Eddy

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I've been thinking about it, and I do wish that we got the sixth season of the series after all. I know that Antonucci was basically told that he could either finish that, or make the movie he always wanted to, but I do think that CN would have ultimately agreed to allow him to make the movie after season 6, anyway. It was still a very popular show, after all.

The fifth season was a breath of fresh air, and started to show series potential for character building near the end, when the new crew really started to get a hold on the characters. And from the concepts of season 6 that exist, it seems like this would have continued the show's character development and deconstruction that the movie and last few episodes accomplished. I wouldn't trade Big Picture Show for anything, but I can't help but wish that we got to keep the series around for a little longer.

That said, I would really prefer that we don't get a revival of the series, ala Powerpuff and Samurai Jack's. I would be okay with a comic book like the aforementioned shows and Dexter's Lab recently got, provided that it's set before the movie, and has involvement from AKA. Typically, artists outside of the studio have had a harder time getting a grasp of the characters.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

I'm of the same opinion. A sixth season would have been amazing, but I wouldn't want a revival either UNLESS Antonucci and AKA had complete creative control over it. At least the movie was a brilliant sendoff. It was so damn good! But it's also not available on DVD or Blu-Ray at all... I just don't get the logic behind that.

gunswordfist

It's not?  :wth:

I'd be down for a new season that either ignores continuity or is set before the movie.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I read that they were planning to release the movie on DVD when they were working on it, which I think meant that Antonucci was working on some bonuses for it, but Cartoon Network was starting to get shady about releasing their series on DVD at the time, and they never came back to finishing the show off.

Damn, what I wouldn't give to have a complete series set like PPG's for the show. I wouldn't mind double-dipping on the first two seasons, either. I just want complete access to the rest of the series.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I hear you, man. Now that the show has been removed from Netflix, I have to rely on what seems like old VHS rips for most of the seasons. Do you know if the iTunes releases are high quality at all? They might be worth buying to me sometime if they are.

gunswordfist

Is it on Hulu? (Deja vu?)

Avaitor

Not yet. Dexter's Lab is the only 90's CN show on there, as of now. But at least the complete series (sans movie) is on there, while Netflix only had 2 seasons at a time.

I'll have to come back to you about EEnE's iTunes releases being in HD. I actually have a season 3 episode that I got when CN was celebrating their 20th anniversary, and they were giving out a bunch of episodes of their shows out for free. But I don't think that's on my phone anymore, and it's definitely not on my laptop. I'll check my computer the next time I go home.

I do think that I would keep the first 2 season sets even if we do get a complete series set. I'll probably use them to loan to people who want to decide if the show still holds up before they buy it, or to sample the show if, heaven forbid, they haven't seen it before. And even then, I'd mainly just lend them season 2. I do think that the first season is enjoyable, and contains some great episodes, but it's not exactly the show that I grew to love as it came along. The show really started to get more confident with itself in the second, but it wasn't quite there yet. Three is when the formula was basically perfected, and 4 and 5 had the crew bending the structure and characters to great effect.

It's a damn shame that we still don't have the show's best part on physical media yet.

New blog!

Foggle

Yeah, the first season of EEnE is rough. Not bad by any means, but those were the episodes I always liked least as a kid. Some of them are a bit... off-putting. Not sure how to describe it. The humor doesn't always work and it lacks much of the charm and heart the series is known for. Starting with season 2, though, it's all gold. And the movie is probably my favorite thing to ever come out of Cartoon Network.

Avaitor

I actually did watch the first 2 seasons again recently. I'd give the first a solid B. There aren't any downright terrible episodes (but I don't think that there's a truly bad episode of EEnE- same with Archer, actually), but you can tell just how rough around the edges the series was at this point. I give it extra points because it does seem like AKA was having fun in trying to define the show and characters, and find something that stuck.

Season 2 would probably be an A-. Antonucci and co started to become a lot more confident with the Ed's chemistry and their own defining traits, and were giving more love to the rest of the Cul-De-Sac. There are still some improvements to be made here, but we've already hit a few of the show's best, like "One Plus One Equals Ed", "Honor Thy Ed", and "Mirror Mirror on the Ed", and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If I was to do personal ratings for the other seasons, I doubt that I'd go lower than A- for any of them. But this is my own personal bias talking. And I will say that nostalgia doesn't factor in all that much. I really do find the show's love of balancing its cast and the studio's love of animation to be just as exciting for me as an adult as it was when these episodes were fresh to me.

New blog!

gunswordfist

The infinite summer seasons are my favorite. I never really could get into the school episodes.

Avaitor

"Prepare to meet your maker!"
"Antonucci?"

New blog!

Avaitor

This article cracks(ha!) me up. I'm posting it in this thread, since the show is listed among the finer examples of cartoon violence at the end. :hayguyz:

And it's appropriate, since I watched "Cry Ed" last night, which is still a good one. I mean, you have Ed dropping a WHOLE FUCKING HOUSE on Eddy, a bubble built to prevent excessive damage on Jimmy, and Eddy getting the shit beat out of him for crashing Kevin and Rolf with a stove. What's not to love?

New blog!

gunswordfist

Happy 18th birthday, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy.

Daikun

gunswordfist

Those have to be two of the worst parents and pet owners I've ever seen..