Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, September 06, 2012, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Well, I still like Faulconer's score. It's the only thing about the original dub that's even tolerable at this point.

So screw you guys.  :happytime:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You should keep in mind that I often exaggerate how much I hate certain things just to piss off GSF, since I know what he likes, and its just so much fun to watch him attempt to bitch about me to defend his opinion. :>

Grave

Quote from: Kiddington on May 17, 2013, 11:32:53 PM
Well, I still like Faulconer's score. It's the only thing about the original dub that's even tolerable at this point.

So screw you guys.  :happytime:

I also like Faulconer's score. I tried watching DBZ: Kai a couple of times and it didn't feel even a little close to epic as the original dub felt, especially during SSJ transformations. Unfortunately, these days the only way I can watch DBZ now is through Team 4 Star.

Feels like it's been forever since I've last watched anime.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If we're talking about the original dub, here (or the original FUNimation dub, anyways, since god knows how many other ones came before that), whatever Faulconer's music does to make scenes feel "epic" is immediately off-set by long-winded scenes featuring Sean Schemmel or Chris Sabat (or both) screaming their lungs out for entire minutes at a time. I believe the both of them even said that they hated doing that since it was killer on their throats.

I like how DBZ Kai vastly cuts down the transformation and power-up times (not just for Super Saiyans, but for all power-ups in general). That said they still take way too long, IMO, but even then, I think Kai spends the right amount of time on scenes for them to come off as epic, rather than dragged out.

As far as the music goes, that's a purely subjective matter. I still think Kai's soundtrack (the plagiarized part of it, anyways) is the best suited music for DBZ that I've heard so far. Falconer's music, as I've said, is a bit too 1-dimensional for my tastes and even when it does sound cool, it is most often inappropriately used in the original dub (most notably it has the same problem as the dub from Digimon Adventure, where the soundtrack never seems to shut up). As for Kikuchi's original score, I think it would work fine for the original Dragon Ball, but it just feels completely off in DBZ, for the most part. Needless to say, music was never the strong point of this series, anyways.

gunswordfist

Cell is as good of a villain as Frieza was.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 26, 2013, 05:51:15 PM
Cell is as good of a villain as Frieza was.

Please elaborate on this. I'm genuinely curious to hear your reasoning.

gunswordfist

I just liked how Perfect Cell was a shonen villain who didn't kill to just kill and didn't care about world domination, he just wanted to show he was the strongest. I also like his sense of humor and thought he did a good job of making his arc fun.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

In regards to DBZ, I actually think Rock The Dragon is the only theme in either version of the show that fits in anywhere.

Yes, it's a big cheesy and dumb rock song, but I still think it fills the adrenaline quotient better than any of their other themes or in-show music.

Dragon Ball is another story.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I fucking love the English dub theme for Dragon Ball. It's easily my favorite Dragon Ball theme song, ever.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 08, 2013, 09:28:14 PM
I fucking love the English dub theme for Dragon Ball. It's easily my favorite Dragon Ball theme song, ever.

Seconded.  :thumbup:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 08, 2013, 07:42:43 PM
In regards to DBZ, I actually think Rock The Dragon is the only theme in either version of the show that fits in anywhere.

Yes, it's a big cheesy and dumb rock song, but I still think it fills the adrenaline quotient better than any of their other themes or in-show music.

Eh, while I'm not big on "Cha La Head Cha La" I still think it works for the series, and I like it better than "Rock the Dragon" as memetic as it is  :sweat:. I honestly do love "Zenkai Power," "We got Power," and "Angel," even if they aren't necessarily "adrenaline-pumping." I'll admit that Kai's "Dragon Soul" 'fits' the show much better than any of the themes made for it before, though.

That said, "Dan Dan Kokoro Hitareteku," in english or japanese, is still the second best song in the franchise  :sly:.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Awwww....personally I love Cha La Head Cha La.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion!  ;)

That said, the English dub theme for Dragon Ball is pretty great. I would have liked to have heard that when it first aired up here.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 11, 2013, 09:34:06 PM
Awwww....personally I love Cha La Head Cha La.

Cha La's a good song, and when I think of Z it's one of the first things that pops into my head, but I just prefer the other themes/music in the series. Cha La Head Cha La is definitely  an iconic theme, though, and I like it way better than Rock the Dragon or any of FUNi's instrumental openings.  :)

Angus

So is this topic for unpopular opinions compared to AR folks or from the general anime populace?
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Angus on September 12, 2013, 11:31:38 AM
So is this topic for unpopular opinions compared to AR folks or from the general anime populace?

Unpopular opinions you have about anime in general.