What Are You Currently Playing? 6.65: Neighbor of the Beast

Started by Foggle, February 28, 2014, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Do the first two Max Paynes have Max heal a little bit after he loses a large amount of health? I forget which ones had that. Anyway, that and the press of a button painkillers makes that my favorite health system out of any TPS.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Pretty sure he regenerates up to about 25% HP if you don't have any painkillers.

gunswordfist

I love that.

Also, the thing I hate the most about regenerative health is when big red veins take up the screen when you are really low on health. That pretty much guarantees that you're about to die because you can't see (or barely hear, in most cases) anything. It's even worse when the game has no health bar at all.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 23, 2015, 01:41:31 PMR3 is medkits only.
IIRC this was a big part of the appeal. It affected the game design positively in all the right ways.

I'm honestly interested in your impressions of 2, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:12:57 PM
Also, the thing I hate the most about regenerative health is when big red veins take up the screen when you are really low on health. That pretty much guarantees that you're about to die because you can't see (or barely hear, in most cases) anything. It's even worse when the game has no health bar at all.
Agreed. It's so awful.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2015, 03:17:35 PM
IIRC this was a big part of the appeal. It affected the game design positively in all the right ways.

I'm honestly interested in your impressions of 2, though.
R1 would have been a lot better if they went completely old-school with the health system, for sure. Regen health, even the weird partial system they had, just didn't suit the game at all.

I doubt I'll like 2 much as it seems to contain most of the elements I hate about modern shooters, but at least I won't be immediately biased against it like the hardcore R1 fans were.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:12:57 PMI love that.

Yes, I despise the "red veins of doom" that clog up the screen and obstruct your vision when you are low on health. What's even worse is that this has spread beyond just FPS games. Why do I need a reminder that my health is low in a fucking hack n' slash game where I have a very easy to see and clear health bar? This feature is somehow present in NG3, and even in actual good games made by Platinum for crying out loud. I don't need the screen to flash red when I'm low on health in Bayonetta and MGRR. And I don't believe that even modern gamers are THAT inattentive to their character's health if it's actually displayed on the screen for them.

gunswordfist

Jeez, NG3. :whuh: Also, I forget if it has red veins of doom, but doesn't Ground Zeroes have regenerative health? Stealth games should never ever ever have that.

Foggle

So, uh, Resistance 2. You know, I had some major problems with the first game, but it was still a remarkably solid Halo clone with fantastic core gameplay and a few expertly crafted large battles. This one is just... bad.

First, the positives. This game actually has competent checkpoint placement and normal enemies that aren't bullet sponges. The graphics are also extremely impressive for 2008, and load times are practically nonexistent.

But holy shit, I never expected Insomniac of all developers to go after that CoD money. This is literally just a Call of Duty game with aliens, and not even a good one at that. Between the incredibly slow movement speed, "follow this guy!" objective markers, cinematic "gameplay," two weapon limit, and instant deaths because you walked into the wrong part of the map, I haven't had such little fun with an FPS in a long time. To top it all off, there's no sense of pacing, the big open battlefield levels (the best part of R1) are gone, the story is even less interesting than last time, and the characters have no likable traits. IG fucked up bad with this one.

gunswordfist

That sounds..pretty horrible. I remember being excited about that game. I wanted to see what it's multiplayer was like as well.

Spark Of Spirit

If I remember correctly, it was also rushed. There's a part where you're in the sky, right? Be sure to look down toward the ground and pay attention to the graphics. It's very lazy stuff.

Resistance 2 definitely killed the series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Foggle

The third level begins with one of those stupid fucking CoD stages where you have to run from cover to cover avoiding enemy fire that you can't suppress. I've died countless times because I went in the wrong direction or because enemies ran up and melee'd me while I was waiting for my screen to not be black and white anymore.

I can't believe these are the same people who made Ratchet & Clank.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 24, 2015, 09:26:19 PM
The third level begins with one of those stupid fucking CoD stages where you have to run from cover to cover avoiding enemy fire that you can't suppress. I've died countless times because I went in the wrong direction or because enemies ran up and melee'd me while I was waiting for my screen to not be black and white anymore.

I can't believe these are the same people who made Ratchet & Clank.
Yeah, they were really chasing the COD dragon with that game. Here's hoping you get through it quick to get to 3.

gunswordfist

Foggle

I am honestly moments away from just shoving this game in the closet and skipping to 3 at this point. It's not like the stories or gameplay even have anything to do with each other.

But, I bought the collection with the intention of playing through all of them, so I'll keep trying. I may need to consult YouTube for this part, though; good lord.