ThunderCats

Started by Kiddington, July 29, 2011, 06:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

The new ThunderCats series premieres TUHNIGHT, so I figured a thread was in order (didn't see one already). You can also discuss the original series here, if you'd like.

Sooooo... yeah; anyone else gonna tune in? I actually have to head out shortly, but I've got the DVR set, so I'll probably watch it when I get home later tonight. Anyone else?

Dr. Insomniac

And what do you know, it's good! :light:

Avaitor

Was it? I thought the designs look hideous, but I haven't been paying attention to it's production besides.

I'll check it out later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lighthammer

In so far, I am very happy with the series. I'm endlessly intrigued by some of their takes on many aspects.
Truth is a three edged sword.

Kiddington

Its... eh, not bad.

The animation does look great, I will say. I'm really loving these designs so far; the color, the fluidity... it's quite a fantastic looking show when you see it in motion. And as an action series, it ain't bad. Not one of my favorites (really, I've never been a huge ThunderCats fan anyway), but I'm kinda digging it so far.

My only issue is, I wish CN would give it AT LEAST one goddamn rerun timeslot. If you miss the Friday premiere, you're pretty much SOL... and I've already missed two episodes.  :wth:

Lighthammer

Tonight's episode was pretty good. It seems as they are really building to the who "Thundercats Ho!" scenario where the cats get a boost of power from the sword of omens.

So they have the book now, whats next? The original series it took an entire season to find it. I could of expected much of the same for the first season of this series.
Truth is a three edged sword.

Spark Of Spirit

I thought the recent episode where we saw into the past was very well done.

While I'm not overly fond of all the 80s remakes cropping up in recent years, this seems to be one of the ones with some genuine effort put behind it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Yeah, I work Friday nights, so I've been unable to even see a single episode of this. Which is a shame because I'd like to check it out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I finally got the chance to catch up with this show. I must say, going in with moderate expectations (neither too high nor too low), I was somewhat impressed with the show's quality up until this point. Its far-off from what I would call great due to a heavy reliance on cliche plot-points and some inconsistent character development on Lion-O's part (mainly in that every time he learns a lesson, he seems to forget it in the next episode, which really bugs the hell out of me), but the potential for greatness is definitely there. The quality of the animation and the actual execution of the show are oustanding, though. The dialogue could sometimes use some work, but the writers make sure that each episode is paced fairly well and you never feel like things are moving along too slow or too fast, and it always manages to hold your interest just enough to want to see what happens in the next episode. So far, the episode with the Petalars has been my favorite, with the episode about the Duelist being a close second (a good example of taking cliches that we've seen before but executing them fairly well).

I can see how the obviously anime-inspired character designs can turn some people off, but as it stands I'm pretty indifferent to them myself. I care more about if the show can stand its ground with good story-telling and a good overall entertainment value, and so far for the most part it can. I'm hoping that the series can keep showing improvements as it goes along, but even if it stays consistent at this level of quality I would still be able to call it a genuinely decent series. It certainly has the set-up to become something better, though, if the writers can capitalize on the potential that they've set up for it.

Peanutbutter

Hey, guess what's deader than a door nail? This show.

http://www.thundercats.ws/thundercats-2011-oficially-dead-per-dan-norton-33519/

In some ways the original was actually better (Cheetara at least had a personality in it) and that should never be the case. I really hope one day someone with better story structuring skills can make a better remake.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I can't say that I'm upset about this. The show didn't start off that bad, IMO, but it quickly deteriorated into something awful in almost no time. When it was at its best it was just an extremely cliche anime wannabe, and the less said about the show at its worst, the better. The main problem with this show was that it was clearly more interested in trying to be an epic anime series than an actual Thundercats remake/reboot. The problem is that the writers for this show clearly didn't have the talent required to write good material for the kind of subject-matter that they were trying to go for. I know I may have had a lot of problems with a show like Young Justice, but just to put things into perspective, that show is fucking gold compared to this garbage. Good riddance, I say.

LumRanmaYasha

Eh, the show wasn't bad, but they didn't develop the plot and characters well enough for me to really care about it either. A shame, since at the beginning it had a lot of potential, but like Korra, got bogged down by trying to do too much, writing characters in an obnoxious way, and a godawful romance subplot. Better luck next time, if there is a next time.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The problem with this series wasn't that it tried to do too much at once a la Young Justice, but more that it tried to tell a big story and have deep character development and such, yet the writing was crap so the story went nowhere (the majority of the show felt like filler), and the character development came down to nothing more than lesson of the day episodes, with the worst part being that characters just reverted back to the way they always were by the next episode. This especially goes for Lion-O, who NEVER seemed to remember anything that he learned. As an audience, we're supposed to except him as some great leader, or at least someone who has the clear potential to be a great leader, but even late in the season everything this dumb-ass does is completely knuckle-headed and usually ends up getting everyone around him nearly killed. It would make sense if he started out as a thick-headed character but became more patient and strategic over time, but as it is he was just a typical and predictable hot-head type character because apparently that's what the writers thing is more popular with the kids.

The main problem with this show was always the bad writing. So in that regard, I would never pit it in with a show that's problems came down to trying to do too much and having poor pacing, but otherwise had good writers and was still interesting to watch (I haven't watched Korra, but that's the way I feel about Young Justice). To me, Thundercats was just a bad show, plain and simple.

LumRanmaYasha

Hmm, yeah. I shouldn't have said it was trying to do too much at once. Rather, it had really inconsistent pacing, and a lot of pointless episodes. Especially the bulk of the second season, where there were only a couple of episodes that actually advanced the plot. I did like a couple of the stand-alone's though, like the one with the Drifter and the one where Tygra met his birth father and his clan. However, the bad shit, like the romantic subplots and everything involving Pumyra definitely cancelled out all the good. Even with it's problems, I don't really hate the show though. I mean, I didn't like Pumyra, Cheetara and Lion-O in the second half of the series, but it never got so bad for me that I got pisses off or anything. I dunno, it's not a very good show, but I wouldn't call it an absolutely terrible one either. It's just kinda meh at the end of the day.

Daikun

Yesterday at Power-Con, Larry Kenney, Dan Norton, and Shannon Eric Denton spilled the beans on the second season that never was.