Justice League

Started by Avaitor, September 24, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

For me it'd be

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Lantern, Hawkgirl, Flash, John Jones

Then again I don't really care much for JJ at all though, and in JLU Green Arrow is beginning to take JJ's place in terms of being annoyed.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Grave on May 24, 2013, 02:27:17 PM
Speaking of annoying, I wanted to knock on the episode when the Justice League were turned into kids so bad, but I couldn't because it had its quirks that made me chuckle a bit. This Little Piggy on the other hand was an annoying one for me though. The first episode I'd say that actually don't like.

I actually liked "This Little Piggy," which I found to be amusing more than anything else. I definitely wouldn't pit it with the worst episodes of the series, myself. For me, War World takes the cake there (and a handful of season 1 episodes, at that).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And as for favorite characters, I'd just say Batman and Flash stand out to me in particular. With Batman, he could have easily been written as the dark and brooding lone wolf among the team, but thankfully the writers gave him an actual personality and also made him as intelligent as he should be without making him seem unrealistically smart in his strategies. The most interesting about Batman in this series was how he interacted with the rest of the team, and the fact that he was actually a pretty damn good team player when it came down to it.

As for Flash, he was the light-hearted member of the team and was more goofy type of member that a lot of people didn't take very seriously. What I like about him, though, is that he added a much needed element of personality to the show as a whole. The rest of the team without him could have become too stern and serious for their own good to the point of being kind of boring. Whenever Flash was around, his character was able to dial the tone down just enough to keep the show more about why super heroes are so much fun, rather than ever letting it fall into the territory of something too serious to the point of not actually being any fun to watch.

The rest of the team was fine, but none of them really stood out to me as much as these 2 characters.

Grave

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 24, 2013, 11:07:53 PM
Quote from: Grave on May 24, 2013, 02:27:17 PM
Speaking of annoying, I wanted to knock on the episode when the Justice League were turned into kids so bad, but I couldn't because it had its quirks that made me chuckle a bit. This Little Piggy on the other hand was an annoying one for me though. The first episode I'd say that actually don't like.

I actually liked "This Little Piggy," which I found to be amusing more than anything else. I definitely wouldn't pit it with the worst episodes of the series, myself. For me, War World takes the cake there (and a handful of season 1 episodes, at that).

Episodes where people are turned into animals just don't do much for me. As for War World, yeah, I just like that episode for some odd reason. gunswordfist do have a point with the corniness, though. Even I cringed at John for that. I will also admit that there are better episodes, I just it that's all. But then again I do like Season 1.

talonmalon333

I thought War World was fine. I actually can't think of any season 1 episode I don't like, even if it's the weakest one.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 24, 2013, 09:00:30 PM
Batman > Superman > Hawkgirl > Green Laturn = Flash > John Jones > Wonder Woman

All are great, though.
I agree for the most part. I'd put Flash ahead of GL, with him being neck to neck with HG, Superman and Batman. I think Flash just might be more likable than JL Supe and Bats. I put Jonzz ahead of WW by default but I'm afraid I might end up thinking of him as one of the most boring cartoon characters ever. And my rewatching of this show may make my love of Shayera grow.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

The deeper I get into JLU the more annoyed I become of JJ. Just finished up disc 3 and for the most part I think my favorite episode of JLU at the moment is the time machine episodes with the episode where Supes and Captain Marvel fighting each other coming in 2nd.

Edit:

Take it back, the whole Cadmus Labs arc really blew me away. Still can't stand JJ though.

talonmalon333

I loved John Jones. My only issue is that they made him constantly get beat up in that series, and then end up having him basically taken out of the action for the Unlimited portion. At the very least though, they highlighted just how dangerous he really is when those villains break into the JL's ship.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me, JJ (The Martian Man-hunter) in JL/JLU is a pretty boring character, which is my biggest problem with him. His personality is so bland and predictable most of the time.

In contrast, I love his character in Bataman: The Brave and the Bold, in which he ironically acts so bored and even somewhat annoyed by most of the things around him, but comes off as very funny and entertaining in how he deals with any given situation.

Grave

Getting even further into JLU (season 2), I dare say this season is fairly weak. I mean these episodes are moderately decent, but coming off of seasons 1 (which I feel is the best of JL and JLU put together) these episode just don't hold up. You can tell something is building up, but the majority of these episodes almost feel as if they're filler at best (best of the bunch being the all women fighting episode).

Edit:

Just finished all of JLU. Yeah, season 2 of JLU was definitely a lot weaker. Epilogue really should've been the last episode or they should've had way more buildup to Alive/Destroyer instead of having some of these filler-ish stuff. I don't mind having fun episodes, or episodes catered to those who like dealing with romance/shipping (or whatever), but it felt like there were too many of those type of episodes. Overall, though, this is definitely the best superhero show for me.

I gotta talk about the animation as well. While I'll say Batman: Under the Red Hood and Young Justice has the best animation when it comes to DC, you can really tell that same team or almost the same team started here in JLU.

Going back to favorite characters for a minute.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman (after these 3 everyone else is random), Flash, Question, Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Vixen, Huntress, and Supergirl turned out to be my favorites when the series finally ended.

talonmalon333

I actually think JLU's season 2 is the best part of the whole show.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on May 26, 2013, 11:28:03 AM
I actually think JLU's season 2 is the best part of the whole show.

He's talking about the final season of the entire series (which would equate to season 4, rather than season 2 of JL), where you have all of those episodes about the Injustice League. On that note, I agree that on the whole, its a pretty weak season, though it still has its share of decent episodes, IMO, and I'd say its better than JL's season 1, myself. That said, seasons 2 and 3 of the show (season 3 is JLU season 1) are easily the best parts for me, though if I had to pick a best season, it would be season 2 of JL. I feel like the main thing that pegged down season 4's quality is that the writers clearly hadn't expected for their to be a 4th season, so when the show actually got renewed, they probably didn't have enough time to properly plan an entire season of episodes the way that they did with the previous seasons. The problem here is that coming off of the Cadmus arc, the show would inevitably seem extremely weak in comparison unless they tried to come up with another overarching story arc to top it, and what they tried to go for could have worked, but it felt rushed and half-hearted to the point of being pretty underwhelming, IMO. That said, I honestly really loved the finale of the show, even if it was incredibly rushed.

Spark Of Spirit

Epilogue was originally the ending, but they randomly got picked up for another season and had to make due. Also, despite what the DVD sets say, it's actually season 3 of JLU. For some reason they packed the first two seasons into one set and called it season 1.

Honestly, I think season 3 is pretty great (I like it more than most of season 1) episodes like Flash and Substance, Patriot Act, and the Great Brain Robbery bring back a lot of the fun that was missing in season 2. But as an end to the whole ACTUAL Justice League series I think Alive! and Destroyer are a much better ending since everything is basically wrapped up. If I had to rate JL as a whole, I would rank them as such:

JL season 2
JLU Season 2
JLU Season 3
JLU Season 1
JL Season 1
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

1. JLU Season 2
2. JL Season 2
3. JLU Season 1
4. JLU Season 3
5. JL Season 1

Avaitor

While the ranking of seasons one-by-one thing is still hot, let's try it for Justice League. I might do this for Batman and Superman later, but I'll go by DVD volume for those. I'll put Batman Beyond on hold until I get season 3, though.

JL Season 1
6/10

Yeah, it's no secret that JL didn't start out great from the very beginning. The first episode was surprisingly dull and cluttered, while the next handful of episodes were not improvements. I do sincerely believe that when Dwayne McDuffie was hired as story editor midway through the season, the show found a better balance between big action/sci-fi stories and open heart, with a kick-ass finale in particular, but the show gets better from there.

JL Season 2
10/10

And get better it does! Wow, when I look over the episodes, I have to say that there's just about no duds here. The dynamics between the core 7 were perfected early on, and everybody gets their time to shine, including the best Wonder Woman episode in the series, Paul Dini's first return to Warner for a classic Christmas episode, the Joker episode which sold me on the series after initially dropping it during its first few episodes, and one hell of an incredible finale. That's only a sample of all the awesome in this season, which might just be the DCAU's finest overall.

JLU Season 1
7/10

As a whole, Unlimited was more cluttered than the original Justice League, and while there are some good ideas across the season, a lot of it doesn't live up to its potential, and too many new heroes don't live up to their potential. It says a lot that the best episodes of the season tend to involve characters we're already familiar with- a brilliant Alan Moore adaptation which even Moore liked that only used DC's big 3, a return of some of the damage done in Superman's finale which used Supergirl in a big way, et up the events for next season, and introduced us to the Question, and of course, the finale. Still, there's some good stuff here, and the heroes who  were lucky enough to get more screen time in later episodes typically used it for the better.

JLU Season 2
9/10

A major step up from the first season! The Cadmus storyarc had some great ideas which continued to be expanded upon over the season, into a brilliant four-part finish, all with an epilogue that could have easily served as a fantastic finish to the DCAU. Regardless, the more of Luthor and Waller we got, the more interesting the show became. Some of the more stand-alone episodes were hit or miss however, as the basic JLU formula gets tiresome, but I do really like the episode prior to the final five, which let Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl rightfully blow off some steam against each other.

JLU Season 3
7/10

As a last season? Eh, not bad. Didn't really fix up too many loose ends, but it wasn't nearly as much of a departure as Roseanne or Scrubs' final seasons. The Legion of Doom storyline didn't really amount to anything, did it? I'm also not a huge fan of how Hawkman was integrated into the season. But there's enough strong moments to let that slide, like another great moment or two for Flash, including a classic episode which I shouldn't even need to namedrop, a girl's only episode which has surprisingly good repeat value, and a strong return of Darkseid for a good, if not exactly dynamite, finale.

If the show ended with the previous season, I'd be happy, but this was a good year that I'm glad exists.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/