Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 03, 2014, 07:32:32 PM
Evil Dead 2 is most certainly a horror film. I've met people who thought it was legitimately scary (yeah, I know) and didn't realize it was supposed to be humorous. I would agree if you had said Army of Darkness, though.

Though I personally think that any movie which has heavy horror elements, even if they're only used for laughs, counts as a horror-comedy. They may not be horror movies that are also comedies, but they are comedies that base themselves around horror.

It's not so much that I think they don't count, but more that I just don't really get that much of a horror vibe from them. The comedic tone dominates any horror elements. That's personally how I felt about ED2, which had a horror atmosphere and some jump scares and lots of gore, but the comedic tone felt present throughout the whole thing outside of the first 10-20 minutes, IMO. It's still a kick-ass film, though, and would certainly make my list if I were to extend it to include my top 10, though to be honest I haven't seen all that many horror comedies in the first place.

Foggle

Ah, okay, now I understand. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's another category:

Supernatural/Demonic/Haunting/Possessions:

1. The Shining
2. The Omen
3. The Exorcist
4. The Conjuring
5. Poltergeist

Two honorable mentions would be The Others and The Children of the Corn.

And yeah, I know that it seems like a hodgepodge of different genres, but the binding theme is the supernatural, in that all of these movies feature evil spirits of some sort as their main focal points of antagonism.

talonmalon333

I knew I was forgetting something big.

Supernatural/Demonic
1. Rosemary's Baby
2. The Exorcist
3. The Shining

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I forgot about RB, but consider it another honorable mention from me.

Also, here's my favorite Sci-Fi/Horror:

1. The Thing (1982)
2. Alien
3. The Fly (1986)
4. The Terminator
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

talonmalon333

Ghost Movies
1. The Haunting
2. The Blair Witch Project
3. The Others

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmm....I can't say that I consider the Blair Witch Project to be a host movie, by any means. It's a found footage film, but the beauty of it (IMO), is that it's never explicitly revealed or not whether the Blair Witch really exists in that story, though of course it's heavily implied by the ending.

Also, your list reminds me that I really do need to watch the original The Haunting, someday, but for now my favorite ghost movie is probably The Shining, followed by The Conjuring and The Others.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 03, 2014, 08:43:05 PM
Hmmm....I can't say that I consider the Blair Witch Project to be a host movie, by any means. It's a found footage film, but the beauty of it (IMO), is that it's never explicitly revealed or not whether the Blair Witch really exists in that story, though of course it's heavily implied by the ending.

Also, your list reminds me that I really do need to watch the original The Haunting, someday, but for now my favorite ghost movie is probably The Shining, followed by The Conjuring and The Others.

I'd like to address this topic, but I want to wait until after you get to seeing The Haunting. ;)

Also, as for Rosemary's Baby, that's actually one of my favorite movies in general, not just horror movies. Seeing it on my list though, side by side with The Exorcist, is funny since they are such polar opposites. One is incredibly subtle, the other is in-your-face horrifying, both successful in their own way.

talonmalon333

What do you guys think is the best Universal monster film?

Avaitor

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

or the original lon chaney phantom of the opera, if you prefer
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on October 09, 2014, 09:39:51 PM
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Fuck yes. That movie never fails to make me laugh uncontrollably.

Spark Of Spirit

Abbott and Costello is just great stuff.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Talkies, I meant.

And not comedies. :thinkin:

Dr. Insomniac

Abbott and Costello is a talkie though.

talonmalon333