Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

This appeared on my dash today and felt relevant to today discussion

Kind of sums up InuYasha first anime ending in a nutshell. That and maybe Berserk as well.

LumRanmaYasha

Heh, actually that basically sums up what happens to most anime adaptions in general.

LumRanmaYasha

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/viz-media-to-release-ranma-anime-on-bd/dvd

:swoon: Holy shit, fuck yes! Ranma 1/2 blurays AND streaming! About friggin' time! Maison Ikkoku better be next!   :humhumhum:

Between this and Space Dandy, this is truly shaping up to be a freaking awesome day~!  ;D

LumRanmaYasha

So, to recap:

- Space Dandy, from the crew that gave us Cowboy Bebop, will grace our eyes and ears next January and looks freaking awesome. [adult swim]/Toonami has already shown early interest in it.

- Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and The Vision of Escaflowne have been rescued by FUNimation.

- S-Cry-Ed and The Big O have been rescued by Sentai (which means seeing season one of the latter back on Toonami will likely never happen).

- Viz has acquired both Gargantia and Blood Lad for home video release.

- Ranma 1/2 is FINALLY getting legal streaming here in the U.S.

- Madoka Magica, Magi, and Ranma 1/2 are coming to Neon Alley this fall.

- Cowboy Bebop's getting blurays.

- Ranma 1/2's getting blurays.

- Both the Ranma 1/2 and Monster mangas are getting omnibus rereleases.

- And the Bakuman manga is getting a complete series release this fall.

2014 is lookin' like it's gonna be a goooooooooooood year.  :shakeshakeshake: :thumbup:

Foggle

And now for the only piece of bad news:

- Kill la Kill is being released by Aniplex of America

But yeah. Great stuff today!

gunswordfist

as better pick up Space Dandy. I need to watch every episode of Big O and everyone should watch S-Cry-Ed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 10, 2013, 08:53:18 PMas better pick up Space Dandy.

I'm hoping so, too. :thumbup: It would be nice for Toonami to air a PROPER sci-fi comedy that didn't involve a harem.

QuoteI need to watch every episode of Big O

Or rather, just the first season.

Quoteeveryone should watch S-Cry-Ed.

Ugh. I didn't like that show at all.

LumRanmaYasha

Man, I think Big O season 2 is excellent. It's pretty much just the second half of one whole story in my opinion, paying off on what the first season builds up. I just don't get what makes it so terrible in some people's eyes.  :-\

Anyway, I was thinking of updating my favorite anime list, since it's changed a bit, but since I'm going to be watching Lain and Fate/Zero next week, both highly regarded series, I think I'll wait until I'm finished with those before I post a full top 25 up, but I'll leave ya with a revised top 10:

10. The Slayers franchise (my favorite of them being, right now, the first series)
9. Cowboy Bebop
8. One Piece
7. Ranma 1/2
6. Dragonball
5. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Maison Ikkoku
3. Monster
2. Trigun
1. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

For the first time since I watched them the Fullmetal Alchemist series no longer makes my top ten. I still like them, of course, but the sheer quality and greatness of both Monster and Maison Ikkoku plus growing appreciation for other series on my list have pushed it out.  :sweat:

I'm curious as to whether Lain and/or Fate/Zero will break into my top ten, considering the latter is now my brother's (aka VlordGTZ's) new 4th favorite anime, but I guess we'll just see about that now, won't we.  ;)

Daikun

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 10, 2013, 09:52:17 PMMan, I think Big O season 2 is excellent. It's pretty much just the second half of one whole story in my opinion, paying off on what the first season builds up. I just don't get what makes it so terrible in some people's eyes.  :-\

The first season consisted of self-contained mysteries. The second season became a bloated Evangelion-esque plot that was way more convoluted than it needed to be.

LumRanmaYasha

The overarching plot was being established in most of those episodes in the first season though, so season two, coming directly off of season one, felt to me like a natural progression of the story. As far as "convoluted and Evangelion-esque" goes I can't say I agree. While the show leaves you to figure and speculate on some plot developments and mysteries by yourself (which is not, I don't think, a bad thing in the slightest), the general story is pretty straight-forward, and for me, highly satisfactory. Keep in mind Evangelion never confused me in the slightest and I got it's ending the first time around with no prior knowledge or warning, so Big O's ending was not confusing for me in the slightest (it was really obvious, in a way). I enjoyed the series, thoroughly, beginning to end, and I'm sorry, but I just don't see what is just so bad about Big O's second half, and while I respect the opinions of those who don't like it, I simply don't agree. That's all there is to it.  :P

VLordGTZ

I don't think I've posted my favorite anime on this thread so I guess I'll do it now.

15. Level E
14. One Piece
13. Black Lagoon
12. FMA: Brotherhood
11. Dragon Ball
10. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (the 2012 TV anime)
9. Durarara
8. Cowboy Bebop
7. Samurai Champloo
6. Casshern Sins
5. Slayers franchise (I like TRY the most)
4. Fate/Zero
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
2. Hunter x Hunter 2011
1. Yu Yu Hakusho

talonmalon333

Well I'd say my old top 10 is still relevant so I'll repost it. Once I see more of Black Lagoon I can easily see it making the list if it's as good as people say.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 09, 2013, 07:59:45 PM
Okay, I'll join in.

1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Romeo x Juliet
3. Monster
4. Hunter x Hunter
5. Ghost Stories (only the English dub)
6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (+Kai)
7. Death Note
8. Rozen Maiden
9. Cowboy Bebop
10. Azumanga Daioh

Pretty unchanged since last time I posted it, I imagine.

Foggle

Quote from: VLordGTZ on August 10, 2013, 10:52:40 PM
I don't think I've posted my favorite anime on this thread so I guess I'll do it now.

15. Level E
14. One Piece
13. Black Lagoon
11. Dragon Ball
9. Durarara
8. Cowboy Bebop
7. Samurai Champloo
6. Casshern Sins
4. Fate/Zero
2. Hunter x Hunter 2011
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
I like your list a lot! :)

gunswordfist

Quote from: VLordGTZ on August 10, 2013, 10:52:40 PM

15. Level E
14. One Piece
13. Black Lagoon
11. Dragon Ball
9. Durarara
8. Cowboy Bebop
7. Samurai Champloo
6. Casshern Sins
4. Fate/Zero
2. Hunter x Hunter 2011
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
Togashi, is that you?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

VLord looooooves all of Togashi's works.  :sly: