What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 04, 2012, 11:02:49 PM
Watching Blue Velvet right now. Not as surreal as I was expecting.

Okay, is it wrong that I like Frank Booth the most out of the cast?
One of my all time favorite movies. :thumbup:

And no, you're supposed to, I think.

Spark Of Spirit

I was just watching Paul.

If it didn't rely so heavily on references and casual swearing it might be far better but as it is it's a pretty dull film that never manages to catch fire because there just isn't much there. A waste of good talent.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 15, 2012, 08:40:37 PM
I was just watching Paul.

If it didn't rely so heavily on references and casual swearing it might be far better but as it is it's a pretty dull film that never manages to catch fire because there just isn't much there. A waste of good talent.
Yeah, you can tell who's pulling the real weight in Pegg/Frost films.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Sweet, Lynnhaven is showing it.  If we are in port then, I'll probably check it out.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

TCM has been experimenting with rereleases a little lately. They pulled out Casablanca already at a couple of theater palaces with a full symphonic back-up, and they did the same thing they're doing here for West Side Story last year. I hope that if these do well, they'll consider doing more, and hopefully make these releases wider and last longer.

I also hope they do it for Singin' in the Rain, since that's also celebrating it's anniversary this year and is getting a new restoration.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

But wait, there's more!

Unless the movie that they'll announce for Miami is worth the trip, I'll probably have to pass on that. It's way too far away from me to normally hit that up. But if you live in any of these areas, go for them.

New blog!

Avaitor

Tonight's Oscar tallies, for those who care

* The Artist- 5 (costume design, original score, director, best actor, best picture)
    * Hugo- 5 (cinematography, art direction, sound editing, sound mixing, visual effects)
    * The Iron Lady- 2 (make-up, best actress)
    * Beginners- 1 (supporting actor/Christopher Plummer)
    * The Descendants- 1 (adapted screenplay)
    * The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (editing)
    * The Help- 1 (supporting actress/Octavia Spencer)
    * Midnight in Paris (original screenplay)
    * The Muppets- 1 (original song/?Man or Muppet?)
    * Rango (animated feature)
    * A Separation- 1 (foreign film)
    * Undefeated- 1 (documentary)

New blog!

Commode

Watched The Muppets earlier tonight, and just finished Puss in Boots a minute ago.  I don't know what's Ed Liu's problem, but I thought it was pretty good.  He was pretty much the best character from the Shrek movies after all, and really the only thing that made Shrek 2 tolerable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I notice a lot of negative opinions on stuff from quite a few TZ reviews in general. Usually if I happen to have an opinion on it myself, I just find those guys to be way too pessimistic and over-analytic about things that they are reviewing for me to take their reviews seriously. Well, IDK, but I just find critics of anything to be kind of drag to pay much mind to. I just like to enjoy things for what they are, and if they are fun to watch, then I can let some little flaws and nit-picks slide. I don't really see the point in trying to pick something apart for every detail in it that you don't like, rather than just trying to watch something and enjoy it for what it does right.

Spark Of Spirit

He's crazy, the movie was a great comedy adventure flick. The movie has no pacing problems, has great characters (unlike most Shrek films), good action, and is just fun to watch. There wasn't really anything they could have done to make it better than it was.

But I rarely agree with Ed Liu anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

So I just found out that Criterion offers a handful of movies for free on Hulu.

Totally gonna watch Playtime and Monsieur Verdoux this weekend.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw Super 8 with my dad a couple of nights ago. It was pretty good for the most part, though I can't help but feel the way they handled the whole "government and army are evil and stupidly do everything in their power to piss off the super strong alien life form and make it hate humans" feels a little bit too much like a bad 80's trend. I know that the movie takes a lot of inspiration from films like E.T. and the like, but I just get kind of ticked off with 1-dimensional bad villains like that. That said, the rest of the movie was great and the kids did a surprisingly good job of acting out their roles (I mean for the movie itself, rather than the short film that they were making within the movie :D ).

Commode

at the beginning of dazed and confused, when sweet emotion is playing and that pontiac gto is coming around the corner, that has got to be the greatest opening in film everer.

Commode

yeah-uh,netflix totes has dazed and confused!  gonna watch nowz!