What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Recently I've seen 2 horror movies, one that made No-Personality's list, the other that hasn't as of yet.

The latter was Creepshow, an anthology of EC Comics adaptations. Since I'm yet to read any of the fabled horror comics they made due to licensing issues and insane price ranges for the originals (Gemstone briefly had rights to reprint their work, but only got to make a couple of volumes before losing said rights, barely scratching the surface), this was a good introduction to some of these tales. Most of the stories were campy, but fun to watch nonetheless. I especially enjoyed seeing a pre-Cheers Ted Danson be buried alive by a post-Airplane! Leslie Nielsen.

The other was Hellraiser, which was pretty brutal. It's somewhat typical of an 80's horror flick, but that's not a bad thing. I'd say more, but hell, NP does a much better job than I ever could.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Watched The Man Who Laughs yesterday, along with Vampyr right now.

Pharass

Watched Marathon Man recently and thought it was a well-made and interesting thriller. I knew about the "is it safe?" scene going into the movie, but damn if it still wasn't tough watching it.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Lord Dalek

Argo really lived up to the hype.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Had to watch High Noon for my American West history class. Sheriff Kane is a man's man.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, without offering spoilers, a scene in Skyfall made me really sad.

Lord Dalek

L.A. Confidential... which is a movie I really need to do transplant here for.

Avaitor

The original novel is next on my to-read list.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

I bet you five bucks its a better Mickey Cohen movie then the one that's coming out in January.

Avaitor

I just found out that Kelly from Cheers was Gwyneth Paltrow's body double in Contagion.

That's pretty weird.

New blog!

Commode

Watched Lincoln with the family.  Really good movie.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Pharass

Quote from: Avaitor on November 15, 2012, 08:03:45 PM

Good man. Is it your first Ellroy, Avaitor?

From what I can remember, the plot in L.A. Confidential is quite byzantine and involves various subplots that were dropped from the movie. Understandably so, since the movie would've been even longer if they were in it. It's been awhile since I read it, but I think thinly veiled version of Walt Disney figured into the whole thing somehow.

It's also the third book in a quartet. I don't think it's necessary to have read the previous two novels before reading L.A. but if you're interested they're titled: The Black Dahlia and The Big Nowhere respectively.

As for me, I saw Collateral a few days ago. Good movie, solid performances from all actors. I was especially impressed by Tom Cruise, the guy should play stone-cold sociopaths more often.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Quote from: Pharass on November 20, 2012, 03:19:32 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on November 15, 2012, 08:03:45 PM
Good man. Is it your first Ellroy, Avaitor?
Yes, it is. I'm about 50 pages in thus far and I'm enjoying it, but I am reminded that I haven't seen the film in a longggg time. I'll rectify that when I finish reading the novel.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Quote from: Comeau on November 17, 2012, 08:26:07 PM
Watched Lincoln with the family.  Really good movie.

I did this as well and I agree. Considering that my dad is one big history buff, we saw it on those grounds since the showing of Flight was sold out. His comment and opinion as we walked out matched mine, which is that the film focused more on the backdoor politics of the 13th Amendment. That's what it felt like for me.

Spark Of Spirit

I watched the first fifteen minutes of Burton's Alice and it was utterly awful. I hope no one is going to chime in and tell me it gets better because the beginning was too awful for me to consider watching it over again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton