What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Most people agree that its the weakest movie of the trilogy, but a lot of people surprisingly say that they considered it to still be a good movie, which I just flat-out don't agree with that. Also, I've hardly seen anyone criticize that scene for some reason. I've actually even seen people say that they liked it. I have no idea what they were smoking when they watched that part of the movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I saw Pacific Rim tonight. Now that movie is pretty much the definition of stupid fun. Its incredibly dumb in so many parts....but its a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, so what the fuck were you really expecting? Its pretty fun just to see the ridiculously over-the-top action scenes, though, of which there are plenty.

Spark Of Spirit

I always baffle at some people that get angry over 'Emo Peter' of all things when the same director made a film with a guy that had a chainsaw for a hand. It's in the same ballpark of ridiculousness.

It's not even close to the worst thing about the movie (which would Venom's useless inclusion), and is in fact hilarious.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, I also finally saw Monster's University. I quite enjoyed it and thought it worked really well as a prequel, focusing it on Mike (when Inc. was about Sully) was a nice touch.

I have to say that the hate it's getting from some circles seems pretty overblown. It's not Cars 2 or Finding Dory levels of unneeded, it's a fun little film that works pretty well. That said, other than an Incredibles sequel I have no interest in any other potential Pixar sequel.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 12, 2013, 11:13:14 PM
Also, I've hardly seen anyone criticize that scene for some reason. I've actually even seen people say that they liked it. I have no idea what they were smoking when they watched that part of the movie.

Well then, you're right. People can be hypocritical. :P

Also, I liked Iron Man 2 (but it's the worst Marvel movie canon film).

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 12, 2013, 11:22:10 PMThat said, other than an Incredibles sequel I have no interest in any other potential Pixar sequel.

They recently said they want to tone down on the sequels, so hopefully you won't have to worry about that.

Spark Of Spirit

I can only hope that they won't go back to the sequel well any time soon.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 12, 2013, 10:40:15 PMI just find a strange oddity in how people like to pick that one particular movie apart, yet seem to completely ignore the faults of many other Marvel movies that are considered to be better. For example, why does nobody ever criticize that scene from Iron Man 2 in which Tony Stark gets drunk off his ass and then starts blasting the shit out of his own property only to get interrupted by Rhodes who just somehow manages to put on one of his suits (DESPITE having no arc reactor of his own to even mobilize one of them; and its also hilarious that Tony has absolutely no security for these insanely expensive and dangerous "weapons"); this scene is followed up by a really ridiculous fight scene that I guess is supposed to be funny but just....isn't. I remember my dad turning to me in the theater when we were watching this scene and telling me: "I don't know what the director was thinking, but this is just....stupid." And he's right, it was stupid. Just as stupid as the dance scene from Spider-Man 3, but while everybody understandably complains about that scene, almost nobody ever seems to mention that stupid shit from IM2. I just don't get the varying standards that people seem to have with these types of films, I suppose.
And I find the dance scene hilarious because it's meant to be dumb and works with how hard Peter's trying to be cool.

The party scene in Iron Man 2 was just awful. But then it kind of goes with the fact that nothing in Iron Man 2 really adds up to anything. The only part of the story worth telling was his potential background with his dad but that was deemed less important than Tony sitting in a giant doughnut.

talonmalon333

In the end, I just found Iron Man 2 entertaining. And I liked seeing how being Iron Man effects Tony Stark, a concept that was taken further in Iron Man 3 (which admittedly was way better).

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 12, 2013, 11:23:26 PM
They recently said they want to tone down on the sequels, so hopefully you won't have to worry about that.
By "toning down" the sequels, they're simply not planning as much of an overload as we've been getting in the past couple of years. There still will very likely be at least one or two more sequels in development now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Oh, forgot to comment on the Spider-Man reboot.

It was... decent, particularly for a reboot that was beyond unnecessary. It's a bit familiar, and I found it hard not to miss the characters and actors from the original trilogy. But I thought it was enjoyable, if somewhat forgettable and, in my opinion, far behind the likes of Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In regard to the reboot, I think forgettable is also the way I'd choose to describe it. I mean, it was a decent movie for the most part, and I enjoyed watching it, but ultimately its one of those movies I keep forgetting even exists, and really I have no desire to re-watch it beyond my initial viewing. I'd say its worth checking out if you have the time, but that's really all I can say about it. Nothing about it really left any sort of lasting impression on me. The performances are good, but not great, the writing is good, but not great, and the whole damn movie can be summed up as good, but....yeah, I think you all know where I'm going with this.

Now, to be fair, as I stated before, I don't consider Raimi's SM movies to be great, either, but they do at least feel more memorable to me. I'm not sure what it is, but something about those movies made them feel like a "big deal," whereas I just didn't get that sort of feeling from TASM, but once again in all fairness, I did see that movie just about a month or so after The Avengers, so compared to that it was bound to pale in comparison in terms of scope and weight. But, even then, I still just feel that, compared to Raimi's SM movies, this one just came off as a bit darker in tone (and far less cheesy, of course), but also with a bit less heart to it, which is a trade-off that I'm not the most fond of.

talonmalon333

Admittedly, I do think Spider-Man 1 and 2 were great films. In fact, Spider-Man 2 is kind of one of my favorite superhero movies. And Spider-Man 3 was decent. I like all three of them more than Amazing Spider-Man. And it's definitely the worst superhero movie that hit theaters last summer, which I think puts it in comparison with The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises (I feel like nearly everyone here can agree that Amazing Spider-Man isn't as good as those two movies).

Spark Of Spirit

I never saw it and I probably won't. I'm just completely uninterested in origin movies if they've already been filmed, I want to see a new story.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Evil Dead movies are expected to be that silly, Spark. That was a silly comparison. Peter Linkin Parker deserves the hate he gets
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 16, 2013, 07:13:51 PM
Evil Dead movies are expected to be that silly, Spark. That was a silly comparison. Peter Linkin Parker deserves the hate he gets
Watch Darkman sometime.

All of his movies have goofy segments that are obviously played for laughs. This is the exact kind of thing Sam Raimi always does. The dancing segment is not as out of place as anything else he has ever done.