What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I hope to see Edge of Tomorrow tomorrow (lol). I haven't gotten to read the original All You Need Is Kill light novel yet, but I quite enjoyed Takeshi Obata's manga adaption, and from what I heard the movie is even better than that, so I'm pretty excited.

LumRanmaYasha

Saw Edge of Tomorrow. Excellent sci-fi action flick, and though it was completely different from it's source material outside of some names and the basic concept, I think in many aspects I liked it even better. The ending is not one of those aspects, though. Too convenient for my tastes. I find the original's ending was superior, but I can see why they changed it for the film (a Hollywood blockbuster film always needs a "happy ending," don't it?). Still, it was a really fun film with strong action scenes and a surprisingly great sense of humor, and I'd encourage everyone who enjoys a good action movie to go check it out.

gunswordfist

I watched about half of The Matrix on tape a few weeks ago and on man did the nostalgia hit me hard. I'm going to check if Netflix has that and a few other movies so I can have a "dark" movie night, among other things.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Last night I finally saw Aliens. I don't need to say how good it is.

gunswordfist

I saw it for the first time about two years ago. I need to watch it a second time.

Avaitor

I watched American Graffiti last night, which is about as different from Star Wars as you can get. While there are definitely some uncomfortable early 60's mannerisms in there, it's a good flick.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 09, 2014, 01:41:44 PM
60s Fast & Furious?
Heh, kinda maybe sorta, but it was made in the 70's. ;)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I love American Graffiti, haven't watched it in forever though.  Isn't it set in the early 60s, like 1963? 
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Should be '62, since "Surfin' Safari" just came out.

New blog!

No-Personality

Just got that 2-DVD Crystal Lake Memories documentary in the mail today (the definitive documentary on the Friday the 13th franchise)... I didn't read up on it to know what to expect. I'm 2 hours, 30 minutes into it...and they've only started talking about Part V. To present a year timeline, we have traveled from 1979-1984. There are 25 more years of the franchise left to talk about.

So far I've learned that:

Greg Nicotero of KNB Effects (they're best-known for Evil Dead 2) actually saw the uncut version of the spear impalement from Part II. Even though the footage has been lost forever, he saw a copy of it before the footage got lost.

Judie Aronson got hypothermia after her naked scene in the raft on Part IV.

Tracie Savage was actually really excited to work on a horror film, when they revealed that the film she auditioned for wasn't called Crystal Japan (which sounds like an anime / Sailor Moon thing to me).

Bill Randolph (Part II) who played Jeff, the blond guy with the cap on his head who was speared in the bed, came back for a cameo later in the movie as someone running into the bar Paul and Ginny were running out of.

I do not like Corey Feldman anymore. At all.

Lawrence Monoson (Ted, Part IV) was actually high during his death scene. He secretly toked up in his trailer before they called him onto set.

The "one" responsible for putting Jason in the hockey mask were a trio of people behind-the-scenes. More specifically, they were the team supervising the 3-D effects on Part III.

I'm glad Ted White only played Jason on one film (Part IV). Very glad. But what he did for Judie Aronson was very cool.

Adrienne King's (Alice from the first film) stalker actually held her at gunpoint once, before he was caught.

I had heard about Estelle Parsons (the grandmother on Roseanne... oh yeah, and she was in Bonnie and Clyde too) was offered Mrs. Voorhees in the first film. But I did not know that she accepted the role. Eventually, she was unable to play her because they rescheduled her shooting days and she had another commitment. So they had to get someone else, fast.

Lauren-Marie Taylor (Vicky) from Part II looks like barely a day has passed since the 80's. So far, she's aged the best out of the returning cast members being interviewed (along with Gloria Charles from Part III, who played Fox the biker). She also played her actual corpse dragging down the stairs in that scene right as Paul and Ginny's car pulls into the driveway.

I am still disappointed that Steve Miner (director of parts II and III) will not do any interviews. What... happened to him? He's not dead. Is he really that bitter about people hating his remake of Day of the Dead? What is his problem?

The press for Part III has only shaved pictures of David Katims (the actor playing Chuck). In the movie, he has a thick beard and mustache.

People love to make fun of Paul Kratka's (Rick from Part III) age in the film... Not only is he younger than my father (and I'm 31), he isn't even 60 yet and still looks dymanite with his shirt off!! (I Googled him... there are freakin' 20 year olds who are jealous of that body!)

Frank Mancuso Jr., who watched over the franchise and made the most decisions to keep it going, actually wanted it to be over sooner than anyone else. He intended for it to end with Part III. Then Part IV. Then he acts like it was all out of his hands after that. Yet he offers no explanation for why he did keep it going. He just explains what he did when the decision was already made.

I am really unhappy with the way they don't explain why Greg Cannom eventually didn't work on Part IV's special effects. They allude to their being a huge falling out of sorts, but they do it in a very insulting way that leaves out all details. Greg of course did the effects for The Howling, The Lost Boys, Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Fright Night Part 2, The Exorcist III, Vamp, and Brian De Palma's The Fury. Oh, and, Cocoon, Mrs. Doubtfire, Titanic, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Blade, Hook, Passion of the Christ, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, A Beautiful Mind, the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and Francis Ford Coppola's version of Dracula. So... yeah, I'd like to know what the problem there was.

Almost every set seems to have burned down, including the bar from Part II and the lodge-house from Part III, though the fireplace was standing at the time this doc was filmed.

A lot of super-religious people worked on this franchise. Yippee... I actually knew about Dana Kimmell, John Shepherd, Laurie Bartram, and Shavar Ross. Didn't know Lauren-Marie Taylor was also in that club.

Hearing about how harmonious production was on every film (Frank Mancuso Jr.'s words, not mine) makes me really excited to hear about the friction us fans know went on behind Part VII with Associate Producer Barbara Sachs' laundry list of complaints with what John Beuchler wanted.

No mention yet about several deleted scenes on Part IV that Paramount still hasn't included on any of the DVD's. I'd like to hear about that.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 09, 2014, 12:18:06 PM
Last night I finally saw Aliens. I don't need to say how good it is.
It works doubly well since it's so unlike the original while still keeping much of the atmosphere and style. Such a shame they couldn't pull off a trilogy. Those two movies deserved it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

A duology would have been fine. Speaking of watch, Drunken Master is my favorite duology.

Spark Of Spirit

How about a Tetralogy (Quadrilogy)?

I would say Lethal Weapon, but I really don't care for 3 much at all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I've been thinking about 3. It's basically a generic corrupt cop story.

Edit: I'd pick Police Story/Supercop if the 2nd and 4th movie is good.