What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Within the last hour finished Fury My War Is Gone. A decent start to Garth Ennis' Fury run. He loves telling Vietnam stories and that was the best part.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Today I finished Immortal Weapons (the back cover to it is my sig). How'd I rank their stories:

5. Bride Of 9 Spiders - 2 out of 5 - This one kind of gave me a headache and we learned little about her except she's pretty much a villain

4. Tiger's Beautiful Daughter - 2 1/2 out of 5 - Pretty standard "female warriors rise to power" story in my opinion but I like Li Hua's personality and addition to being like Milena and Kitana with her fighting style, she reminded me of Wonder Woman in this. Still my least favorite Immortal Weapon though.  :P

3. Prince Of Orphans - 3 out of 5 - At the...near the end of the book, Iron Fist shows up (I was actually hoping he wouldn't due to me just wanting to see the Weapons) and John Aman aka Prince Of Orphans shows up to tell Rand to go to Asia or millions will perish. Iron Fist finally gets there and has to fight a 200 foot monster while Aman takes on an army of spirits. It's a pretty standard action adventure comic and we learn exactly nothing about Aman but it was a fun read.

2. Fat Cobra - 4 out of 5 - My favorite Immortal Weapon not named Danny Rand now. I love how they recount some of his ridiculous adventures and not-too-proud-of exploits. I won't spoil anything here.

1. Dog Brother #1 - 5 out of 5 - I wish I could give this story an award. I love the tale about two kids trying to maintain their innocence and believe in something more than their corrupt, drug ridden surrounding with some fantasy mixed in. This issue alone is worth picking up the entire book.

All in all, I like the Immortal Weapons more. I wish I could have learned more about them like but this was still good. Also, my head would explode if they showed up in Season 2 or 3 of Iron Fist.

The Shadow Gentleman

I read a collection of short stories by Yoshihiro Tatsumi, one of the pioneers of alternative manga. Pretty creepy stuff, a lot of which is influenced by police reports. Still a great insight into the early  gekiga scene, and I plan to explore his other work. I really need to finish A Drifting Life.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm glad to see someone else on this board exploring Tatsumi's work!  :thumbup: He was one of the best, and his work is like nothing you can find in mainstream manga. If you're interested in checking out a collection of other alternative manga from a variety of different creators, I suggest hunting down a copy of AX, a single volume collection that really shows the breadth and variety within the alternative manga scene, the kinds of stuff that probably won't ever get published in the U.S. manga market again.

The Shadow Gentleman

I've been looking into getting that for a while. Thanks for reminding me.

gunswordfist

I just finished Volume 19 of The Walking Dead. I'm loving Jesus.

gunswordfist

I finished Thor Gorr The God Butcher this afternoon. Pretty good story...except this was just part of it. Dammit, I expect comics with the main villain in the title to actually have a complete story. Sighs, I'll finish it one day. Also, I love Jason Aaron's writing. He writes a good Thor (I like him even more now), Fat Cobra, Hulk and Wolverine.

LumRanmaYasha

Barnes and Noble is expanding their Graphic Novel and Manga sections nationwide.

I always thought that their sections were pretty big as is, but this is definitely good news in regards to how well comics must be selling these days.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My local B&N only had one side of a shelf for both Western comics AND manga. They were split up half and half, and the selection was always pretty limited. So, this is good news for stores like mine which are seriously lacking in content.

The Shadow Gentleman

Last time I was there they were doing some serious renovation in that aisle, so that would explain why.

Great news to hear.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 07, 2015, 12:39:27 AM
I finished Thor Gorr The God Butcher this afternoon. Pretty good story...except this was just part of it. Dammit, I expect comics with the main villain in the title to actually have a complete story. Sighs, I'll finish it one day. Also, I love Jason Aaron's writing. He writes a good Thor (I like him even more now), Fat Cobra, Hulk and Wolverine.
Also, I didn't know people could pray to Thor and he can hear them. ???

Avaitor

Heads up- you can get a month of Marvel Unlimited for only a penny if you act on it now!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Whoa, Udon Entertainment has licensed The Rose of Versailles and will release it in 2-in-1 editions starting next year.

ROV is one of the most classic manga there is, and one of the oldest to have never been licensed in the U.S. thus far too. Perhaps the day AnJ gets released in print in the west is not that far off after all.

LumRanmaYasha

Visited my local B&N today, and they definitely did increase the size of their Graphic Novels section quite a bit. Unfortunately, the expansion seemed to come at the cost of some of the less popular titles, though. That's a bit disappointing, but I mainly buy my stuff online or on sale these days anyway, so it doesn't affect me too much, and I can be happy about the sheer quantity of Deadpool comics they've got now (the second most represented franchise there after Batman!) as well as the prominence of AssClass in the manga section. Since I was there, I opted to take advantage of the last day of the DC sale and bought some comics I was interested in: the first Superfriends collection, the first Batman Inc. (the pre-New 52 one), and Green Lantern: Blackest Night. I look forward to going through them. If only there was a Marvel sale...there was a lot more there I would have been willing to buy (especially Deadpool) than the DC offerings. In any case, I'll probably go back next sunday for the manga sale and fill some gaps or catch up on series I've fallen behind on collecting.

gunswordfist

I didn't even know you bought Western comics.