Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I just tried to play the PC version of Resident Evil 4 and... wow. It's such a bad port that it actually makes un-patched/un-modded Saints Row 2 look amazing. It's a nightmare just to get running, and if you can somehow manage that, you will be treated to VHS-quality cutscenes, N64-level graphics rife with broken particle effects, impossible quick time events (it doesn't actually tell you which keys to press, it just shows some numbers), and no mouse support whatsoever. Apparently you can fix all of these problems with 6 GB of mods (twice the size of the actual game files), but I had no such luck since the game kept crashing after I installed the high-res texture pack.

How the hell did this get released? Why do a PC version at all if the developers are clearly incapable of making one that works? Why did UbiSoft publish a Capcom game? All of these questions shall be forever lost to the sands of time.

Eddy

As far as I can tell the only reason I would have to play RE4 on the PC was a mod I saw where Leon was replaced with the Merchant.

But those Shadows of the Damned numbers are just sad. 24,000 copies? Are you fucking serious? Words can't even express how disappointing this is. Poor Suda. Poor Mikami. Poor Yamaoka. I don't even know what to say.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, even a stand-out FPS game (the most popular genre of gaming in America) doesn't sell well if its not a clone of Call of Duty, Halo, BioShock, or whatever other shooters are really popular? Why? Is it because gamers think that a game is too immature for them or something if it doesn't take its narrative seriously and deliberately shuns being realistic in favor of being over-the-top (since, you know, it is a fucking video GAME, not a freaking world war documentary)?

Seriously, I don't get gamers, these days. I don't have any ill will towards the popular franchises out there, since obviously they sell a lot because they appeal to a lot of people. What I don't get is how come so many gamers have such limited and narrow viewpoints as to what other types of games are worth their money. I mean, what does it take for a game to be popular in this day and age if its not already part of a well-established franchise?

On that note, I feel really, really sorry for Itagaki and the rest of his team at Valhalla Game Studios. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling that even a couple of years down the road when they release Devil's Third, regardless of how good it is it'll still sell like shit because its not Call of Duty or Gears of War.

After all, look at Vanquish. That game was brilliant, but its sales figures were hardly anything to be too satisfied with for the amount of quality that the game had on offer.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 22, 2011, 05:46:07 PMI mean, what does it take for a game to be popular in this day and age if its nor already part of a well-established franchise?

You need 1 of 2 qualifications:

1. Be Call of Duty
2. Be Madden

Now we just need a game that combines them...

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

I thought BulletStorm broke a million? Oh well, at least Epic doesn't seem too upset about this news; glad they're still excited to be working with People Can Fly (one of the best FPS developers still active, IMO).

Foggle

Time to rank the Persona Team games!

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (the only JRPG that has ever gotten me immersed in its world and completely held my attention for an entire run)
Catherine (best story I've ever seen in a video game, addictive gameplay, excellent dialogue and voice acting)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (not as good as part 1, but it comes pretty damn close)
Persona 3: The Journey (some BIG flaws, but overall a wonderful game)
Persona 4 (good stuff, but didn't suck me in nearly as much as the series' previous entries)
Persona (absolutely hated Revelations: Persona, still haven't gotten around to playing the remake)
Persona 3: The Answer (as much as I love ceaseless grinding and seeing all the characters act like total assholes... oh wait, I don't; this is complete shit)

Spark Of Spirit

P3P basically takes Persona 4's better battle system and grafts it to Persona 3's better everything else. It's honestly the best version of the game.

I'm still disappointed of all the Persona games, 4 is getting an anime. Why does it need an anime? It has the most boring and predictable story and characters of all 4 games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on July 28, 2011, 11:27:50 PM
P3P basically takes Persona 4's better battle system and grafts it to Persona 3's better everything else. It's honestly the best version of the game.
I really need to pick that up someday, but P1PSP and P2ISPSP come first. Did you ever play the PSP remake of the first game, and if so, how is it?

And never for a second think you're missing anything by not owning FES. The Answer basically embodies everything bad about JRPGs.

QuoteI'm still disappointed of all the Persona games, 4 is getting an anime. Why does it need an anime? It has the most boring and predictable story and characters of all 4 games.
Yeah, I could never quite figure out why they chose that one for an anime adaptation either.

I'd totally watch a movie of Catherine, though (be it animated or live action).

Spark Of Spirit

Persona 1 PSP is still overly archaic and hard, but I do think it's better than the original version. The story is still pretty good, too. I'd recommend it for the cheap price it goes for now, especially since it has that free soundtrack with it.

Daxdiv

I'm trying my best to like Persona 4 in all honesty ever since you guys told me that this game was like Pokémon and that I would enjoy this. I will admit that the battle system is neat and all, I do like your battle monsters and everything, but the story is a little on the slow side for me. Well, at least the gameplay is bringing me back to play it, unlike other RPGS that will go nameless.

Spark Of Spirit

That's my only gripe with 4, really. The battle system, dungeon, music, and general gameplay is awesome.

It works better as a portable game, though. Mixing matching and combining Personas is a lot of fun, but when you put in a better story and characters like Persona 3 did, it makes playing through it addicting. I had over 100 hours on my Persona 3 Portable file, easy. All characters leveled to 99. Loved every minute.

Daxdiv

You know what was funny? When I was playing Persona 4 for the first time, I remember I was making cracks at how long it felt like I was taking with getting to the main game play. I swear to god, whatever complaints people had about Kingdom Hearts 2 opening scene with Roxas being a time consumer were pretty much how I felt when playing Persona 4 opening part. At least Kingdom Hearts 2 had the decency to make Roxas fight things after a few cutscene, therefore giving gamers a taste of the game play in it. While Persona 4, I remember the first time I got to see action was some dream sequence or whatever.