Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

I'm guessing he's finally getting off of that desert planet. Intruder II put him there, after all.

Avaitor

Wait, it's airing after One Piece?

Lame.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Gundam Unicorn will be replacing Iron Blooded Orphans on January 7th at 1 AM!

I guess it's a better time than ever for me to finish Zeta and watch Char's Counterattack.

EDIT:

Jason Demarco has also put up a twitter poll asking what "shorter show" people want in 2017.

The main three options are Tokyo Ghoul, Mob Psycho 100, and Lupin III Part IV

Dr. Insomniac

Unicorn's an odd choice, since the show itself expects you to have basic knowledge of three other shows and a movie to understand the full plot.

Also, Mob Psycho 100 is a nice choice.

gunswordfist

YES! Toonami needs Mob Psycho 100.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

My guess is that the dub for IBO season 2 wasn't going to be ready for a while, but Toonami wanted to keep a Gundam anime on the block.  Their only other reasonable option would probably have been 00, which is too long if they still want to air IBO season 2 this year. 

Mob Psycho is a no-brainer for the block since OPM did very well, though I'd prefer that they air Lupin instead if I had to choose one over the other.

Avaitor

Huh, I thought that Jack would replace IBO. I'm excited to finally finish Unicorn, but it doesn't seem like the most feasible idea to give another Gundam the slot, when IBO hasn't exactly help to fix the franchise's lacking commercial success stateside.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Small point to be made... this isn't Unicorn they're airing. This is Unicorn RE:0096. Prepare for 24 weeks of butter being really thinly spread.

LumRanmaYasha

Is the pacing in the tv edit really that bad? Since it's a re-cut of the OVA series, I'd imagine it'd just be the equivalent of watching an episode split across two or three weeks, which I can live with if the content is interesting enough. Or do they add a bunch of scenes that really pad it out and slow the momentum?

VLordGTZ

RE: 0096 is a pretty bare-bones re-cut from what I have seen of it.  Each OVA (besides the last one) is 60 minutes, so one episode of the TV-cut is one-third of an OVA.  I'd say that it's only an issue to casual viewers of the franchise, who are expecting action right away.  That being said, I'm kind of curious about how it will do on Toonami since it will take until the very end of episode 3 for Banagher to get in the Gundam.

VLordGTZ

Toonami will be airing DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters AND Dragon Ball Super starting on January 7th!

Super will air at 11:30pm EST and DBZ Kai: TFC will replace regular Kai at 12.

I don't think I need to say this, but damn this is HUGE.  Toonami is starting off the year with premieres of two new Dragon Ball series (though you can definetly argue that Kai's Buu saga isn't really "new"), JoJo, and Hunter X Hunter.  Add their broadcast of Gundam Unicorn into the mix, and that's a pretty great lineup. 

EDIT: Super is will also be airing at 8pm on regular Adult Swim, so I guess Toonami isn't "technically" premiering it.  It's kind of a strange choice (maybe Toei insisted it?) but it probably won't effect ratings much since most of the people watching AS at that time are outside the 18-49 demographic.

gunswordfist

Hmm, prime time, right? I can see their reasoning. I just finished the Trunks saga minutes ago and hopefully the fanbase can survive 28 weeks of filler before they get to the Gods of Destruction arc.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

There's probably still a lot of casual viewers who never bothered to watch Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, so it will probably be fine from a ratings perspective.  Personally, I never bothered to watch the first 27 eps of Super as I had already seen the films, but I'll probably watch them on AS/Toonami since dub will make them bearable at the very least. 

Rynnec