Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Still needs some BBB.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

From what I've heard, the 8:00 airing will be an edited version of Super whereas the 11:30 airing on Toonami will be uncut.

At any rate, it's going to be about a year-long wait (or more if Toonami takes any major breaks from Super in-between arcs) before they actually get to any of the good stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on December 07, 2016, 06:21:25 PMBLEH

Is that "BLEH" targeted just at DB or the whole block in general? Because HXH and JoJo's, man....

I am personally pretty meh about Kai Buu, though. I'm not a fan of any anime iterations of that arc. I still feel that it was much more enjoyable in the manga due to the far less drawn out pacing.

Now, if we could just get Ushio and Tora and Mob Psycho 100 on here, we'd actually have a legitimately great 2-hour Toonami line-up (between those, HXH, and JoJo's).

Dr. Insomniac

I know people are angry at the Toonami block for becoming more attached to DBZ, but what were they expecting? FUNi wanted an outlet for their show, and DBZ was the most watched out of Toonami's roster. Dragon Ball and Toonami are always going to be associated with each other, whether we like it or not. Unless they wanted Toonami to refuse Super, but then you'd get another shitstorm and fears of Toonami dying if they didn't accept a show assured to give them ratings.

Avaitor

I've been enjoying the block more than in recent years with Jojo, Iron-Blooded Orphans, and HXH. I'd rather wait a bit longer so Toonami could skip past the filler episodes of Super, but I'll still give it a shot, along with Unicorn, which looks like it translates fine to a series format.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'd still recommend watching the movies first, since I consider Super's retellings to be largely inferior. You could easily find both BOG and RF for really cheap on DVD at Wal-Mart.

As for the backlash, like Dr. Insomniac said, DB has always been integral to Toonami's success. I don't exactly know what anyone was expecting either. I mean, how dare Toonami decide to air a show that they know has a high success rate with pulling in ratings....:thinkin:

gunswordfist

Lol if you want more risk taking show picks then you need DB to help with the ratings.
It looks like Mob Psycho 100 and Lupin Part 4 have a real shot at making it to Toonami. With how fast they aired One Punch Man and Jojo after they announced them, it won't be too surprising if they did the same with those shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dreamer2

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 07, 2016, 10:07:58 PM
From what I've heard, the 8:00 airing will be an edited version of Super whereas the 11:30 airing on Toonami will be uncut.

DeMarco basically said on Twitter that it wouldn't be edited at all.

VLordGTZ

Yeah, I don't really get why some people are pissed at Toonami for airing more Dragon Ball. Kai re-runs have done outstandingly well for the block, so of course they'd opt to air new episodes.  If anything, people should be mad at kid's networks like Disney and Nick, since they could have easily outbid Adult Swim if they had really wanted Super. 

There are also concerns that the Toonami won't be able to air shorter shows next year, but I kind of doubt that since Demarco wouldn't have bothered to do a poll for "short" anime if that was the case.  Funimation has been strangely silent about their dub for Mob Psycho 100.  At first, I thought it might have been issues with Warner Japan, but then I realized Keijo and Alderamin on the Sky are also both Warner Japan shows and have had no problems getting simul-dubbed.  That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami has already picked up the series and is just waiting for the right time to premiere it (probably after OPM re-runs end).

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 07, 2016, 10:20:43 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on December 07, 2016, 06:21:25 PMBLEH

Is that "BLEH" targeted just at DB or the whole block in general? Because HXH and JoJo's, man....

It was targeted at Super specifically, but the block's schedule is rather lackluster too HxH and JoJo's aside. With Super we have yet another long running show that'll take half a year to get good. Fuck that. :immad:

Dr. Insomniac

Once again, what were you expecting? DeMarco's a sycophant who has little idea how to make a programming block flourish. Adult Swim itself is a block with no idea how to handle its lineup (such as the recent controversy over airing an alt-right show that even several AS producers boycotted). Toonami having HxH and Jojo's should be a miracle, all things considered. Acting like licensing Super should be considered an out-of-the-ordinary bad decision compared to Toonami's actions throughout the years is ludicrous. And like VLord said, isn't this what people wanted? Would they have preferred Super to air on Disney XD instead?

This is Adult Swim. You're not getting your Blood Blockade Battlefront, your Re:Zero, your Erased, or anything. You're getting this.

Rynnec

I definitely would of wanted DBS on XD, it'd be nice having a shounen anime on a channel dedicated to its main target demographic anyway (and unlike Naruto Shippuden, I doubt DBS is any more visceral than say Star Wars Rebels), they'd likely get through episodes faster too.

I do see your point about Toonami and AS in general, however. Especially in light of Mike Lazzo's ass-backwards view of women. Their silver linings such as Rick and Morty are just that, and hell, bringing back Toonami at all was a sheer stroke of luck. At this point I'm not really surprised, just disappointed, which is how I've felt about the block since 2013. I guess it's my fault for putting my faith in a block run by monkeys.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on December 08, 2016, 02:10:13 AM
Once again, what were you expecting? DeMarco's a sycophant who has little idea how to make a programming block flourish. Adult Swim itself is a block with no idea how to handle its lineup (such as the recent controversy over airing an alt-right show that even several AS producers boycotted).
Quote from: Rynnec on December 08, 2016, 02:49:39 AM

I do see your point about Toonami and AS in general, however. Especially in light of Mike Lazzo's ass-backwards view of women.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! What the hell did I just read? What is this about an alt-right show airing on Adult Swim and Lazzo's backward views of women? Someone needs to catch me up to speed here.

Really the only thing I can say about Toonami getting Super & the Buu saga of Kai was it being so damn obvious you had to be even dumber than me to not see that coming.

Dr. Insomniac