Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

So, according to the backdoor schedule, Deadman Wonderland will be replaced by Samurai Seven starting on the 18th. Oh, and GitS will start over from season 1.

Any thoughts (on both the schedule, and the new anime airing)?

Avaitor

Samurai 7 has interested me a little, since I love Kurosawa and I hear some decently positive things about it. I might check it out.

I haven't really watched Toonami though. I watched the first few eps of Casshern, but I forgot to record one episode and gave up after that. The rest doesn't really interest me at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The anime is pretty average as a whole. But it seems like a step up to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Samurai 7 has everything wrong with a Studio Gonzo show.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 31, 2012, 07:49:00 PM
Strangely out of place pantsu?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Foggle on July 31, 2012, 07:50:23 PM
...besides that.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 31, 2012, 07:50:23 PM
I think he means it's style over substance, and the substance that's there is too obscure and weird and never elaborated on. Which is pretty accurate.

And considering it's based on a Kurosawa film, that's a cardinal sin.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that Full Metal Panic! and Welcome to the NHK are probably the only 2 Gonzo-made anime that I've seen that are exceptions to that rule, and even then FMP is really only an OK adaptation of OK source material (which is to say that the first 3 light novels were just OK, as it was right before the series really picked up). I haven't read the NHK manga, so I can't comment on whether Gonzo did a good job with their anime adaptation, but I will say that I have genuinely liked what I've seen of the anime.

Foggle

NHK anime is excellent. Need to read the novel someday...

Spark Of Spirit

I think they did a good job with NHK. The manga, IMO, gets way too dark and heavy-handed and even a bit unintentionally cartoon-ish when it doesn't want to be. The anime still kept the core of the story, but made it less unsettling like the manga was to read. I would say it was the superior version.

Rynnec

Other than Chrono Crusade, Burst Angel, and the second Last Exile anime, I can't really say I'm too familiar with Gonzo's works. I liked Chrono Crusade for the most part, some of Gonzo's changes felt rather heavy-handed and needlessly dark. What I've seen of Burst Angel is pretty much style over substance, and what I've seen of Fam the Silver Wing was pretty good.

Dr. Insomniac

I loved Gankutsuou. NHK was pretty good too. Everything else, yeah.

Daxdiv

I know Gonzo did Gantz. Never read the manga for it and from what I saw of the anime, this probably won't ever air on Adult Swim.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 31, 2012, 11:03:22 PM
I loved Gankutsuou. NHK was pretty good too. Everything else, yeah.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Gankutsuou. Make that 3 anime from Gonzo that are exceptions.

Rynnec

Looks like Eureka 7 will be returning to AS/Toonami the same week Samurai 7 joins.

...eh, I'd much rather they reair something like Samurai Champloo, Trigun, or even Code Geass, but I guess this is still pretty cool.